Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 PM
 
6 posts, read 47,120 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently collecting unemployment in California, while making some extra money on the internet under an Independent Contractor title. When I signed the contract, it had me acknowledge that they are NOT my employer and that I, myself am my only employer. Do I need to report these earnings to on my continued claim form? What would I even put under the "employer" section since I don't have one?

If so, do I still need to report it if I choose to make under $600 for the year to avoid taxes? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 PM
 
16,956 posts, read 16,785,713 times
Reputation: 10408
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstory View Post
Hi, I am currently collecting unemployment in California, while making some extra money on the internet under an Independent Contractor title. When I signed the contract, it had me acknowledge that they are NOT my employer and that I, myself am my only employer. Do I need to report these earnings to on my continued claim form? What would I even put under the "employer" section since I don't have one?

If so, do I still need to report it if I choose to make under $600 for the year to avoid taxes? Thanks!
You MUST report your IC earnings ( every dollar ) to your Unemployment Agency.

You put * self employed independant contractor * on your forms.

It does not matter if you make one dollar or $ 599 dollars, it is your obligation to REPORT and pay quartly taxes on those earnings. Your IC contract states that they will report $ 600 ( 1099 form ) or more but it is still your responsibility to report ALL your IC income. Your client can still report to the IRS ANY amount of money they paid you .

You need to call your unemployment office ASAP as you have stated you are earning money while collecting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 PM
 
6 posts, read 47,120 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
You MUST report your IC earnings ( every dollar ) to your Unemployment Agency.

You put * self employed independant contractor * on your forms.

It does not matter if you make one dollar or $ 599 dollars, it is your obligation to REPORT and pay quartly taxes on those earnings. Your IC contract states that they will report $ 600 ( 1099 form ) or more but it is still your responsibility to report ALL your IC income. Your client can still report to the IRS ANY amount of money they paid you .

You need to call your unemployment office ASAP as you have stated you are earning money while collecting....
Thanks for the reply! Can I just report my earnings on the next continued claim form? Its only been about 3 weeks since I started earning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Ocean County, NJ
621 posts, read 2,328,110 times
Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstory View Post
Thanks for the reply! Can I just report my earnings on the next continued claim form? Its only been about 3 weeks since I started earning.
you should have been reporting when you started working the hours, not when you were paid. They are going to want to know when you started doing IC work. BE prepared for a possible pause in your benefits when you report this to them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM
 
16,956 posts, read 16,785,713 times
Reputation: 10408
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstory View Post
Thanks for the reply! Can I just report my earnings on the next continued claim form? Its only been about 3 weeks since I started earning.
No.

You need to call. They WILL find out. They will demand the 3 weeks back or at least PART of the earnings depending on what you earned vs what your benefit amount was.

Count up every dollar you earned, call your U office and report those earnings. If anything, they will deduct from your benefits what they should have and within a few weeks you should be rolling again.

Ignore the last 3 weeks and you could find yourself in serious trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 PM
 
330 posts, read 1,457,416 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolstory View Post
Thanks for the reply! Can I just report my earnings on the next continued claim form? Its only been about 3 weeks since I started earning.
In the future, try to get those contract jobs to pay you cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 PM
 
1 posts, read 14,308 times
Reputation: 11
Default reporting self employment or independent contractor income

Just be honest with whatever you make, at the time you earn it. If you are a independant contractor or self employed simply write "Self Employed" in Employer box and "Project Ended" or "Still Working" for Reason Not Working section. This is all you have to do. Just don't lie about how much you earned in a given week. There are easy ways to find out and its not worth the stress. The first time you claim you are self employed they will interview you to make sure you are still looking for full time work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top