U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 09:09 PM

274 posts, read 317,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
We live in a first world or more developed political-economy; in my opinion, having a third world work ethic will not improve your chances for financial success in our economy.
Can you elaborate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
As others have said as it stands now Unemployment tiers are over end of the year, personally i would not take anything that does not at least have a chance of becoming full time work. Most temp jobs do not pay well at all and offer no healthcare after you factor in gas and daycare if you have kids you might be losing money.
I agree - I'll have to reassess as the months go on, but that's where my thinking is right now!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 AM

2,793 posts, read 3,393,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
Can you elaborate?
Simply working "harder" instead of "smarter" may not work in a modern and first world political-economy as well as it used to; unless you want to compete with people from less developed economies instead of with people in more developed economies through division of labor and specialization.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Simply working "harder" instead of "smarter" may not work in a modern and first world political-economy as well as it used to; unless you want to compete with people from less developed economies instead of with people in more developed economies through division of labor and specialization.
Oh, gotcha. I'm beginning to think this economy is going to turn out to be a blessing and a motivator, for some of us. I've heard that more people are starting their own businesses, now that we've learned you can't just land a job and count on staying there until you retire anymore. Why work your butt off for someone else, when you can be putting in that overtime for yourself?

At least that's how I'm feeling!

Old 06-19-2011, 04:18 PM

23,443 posts, read 49,917,773 times
Another big lesson learned in this economy is to live way below your means, pay off the house and car as quickly as possible, and save, save, save.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Another big lesson learned in this economy is to live way below your means, pay off the house and car as quickly as possible, and save, save, save.
LOL, tell me about it!!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 PM

17,802 posts, read 22,446,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
As others have said as it stands now Unemployment tiers are over end of the year, personally i would not take anything that does not at least have a chance of becoming full time work. Most temp jobs do not pay well at all and offer no healthcare after you factor in gas and daycare if you have kids you might be losing money.
In addition to this temp agencies are notorious for fighting UE benefits.

So even if someone completes a 3 month assignment which is ended by the agency, they're known to try and say the employee quit or the agency offered you something else which you turned down.

Then the individual faces a battle in getting back their UE benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment