U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 AM
 
274 posts, read 312,668 times
Reputation: 293

Advertisements

It seems like I'm hearing all the time now that people on unemployment are holding out for permanent full time instead of taking temp work, or part time work, rather than jeopardizing their benefits. I'm just curious what the consensus is here: have a lot of you had problems, and what were they? Was it that your temp assignment ended and you had trouble getting back on unemployment, or did the job change your benefit amount, etc.?

I've been collecting UI since the beginning of the year, and I'm torn! Part of me says to just take a temp assignment with the hope of it leading to permanent, and the other part of me says to stick with unemployment, which is at least a stable source of money coming in right now.

Any thoughts from you all??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2011, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,409 posts, read 27,572,231 times
Reputation: 16548
Typically temp work doesn't pay much at all, and they are better off just taking the unemployment check than working 40-50 hours a week at a low wage and making 75 dollars a week more

What it comes down to is realizing what kind of money you'll be making in the temp job. Is it really worth working 40 hours out of your week for an extra 100 dollars?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 AM
 
274 posts, read 312,668 times
Reputation: 293
I see what you mean. The jobs I've run across have not been worth it when I look at the numbers. The only reason to take them is to fill in that gap on my resume that shows no work, or to hope that the temp job will turn permanent.

I think I'm just beginning to feel a little insecure about not working and wondering if people think I'm just lazy! I feel like I keep having that same conversation with people (ie, concerned mother) where they ask how my job search is going, and I tell them I'm still not working. I imagine the thought bubble over their head: "When is she going to find a job and get off unemployment??" LOL!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,879 posts, read 7,604,272 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
It seems like I'm hearing all the time now that people on unemployment are holding out for permanent full time instead of taking temp work, or part time work, rather than jeopardizing their benefits. I'm just curious what the consensus is here: have a lot of you had problems, and what were they? Was it that your temp assignment ended and you had trouble getting back on unemployment, or did the job change your benefit amount, etc.?
After I became unemployed in Dec 2008, I took a temp 3-month job, which lead to another 5-month temp job and then to a permanent job offer.

It worked out great for me. I made more than my unemployment benefits so I didn't half to worry about that. But beforehand. I had a part-time job making less and I was able to make money there and still get partial unemployment which helped me plan my Hawaiian wedding.

The temp jobs boosted my resume, gave me money, new contacts and references (both supervisors loved me) and my self esteem and sanity back. Just being back in an office, wearing nice clothes and with something productive to do all day is what I needed (I'd fallen into a depression).

You can get yout benefits back if it doen't work out. They may be adjustd but that depends. I would definitely accept work were you can. It makes you look more desirable and employable.

At my 2nd temp job, 5 of us were hired as temps together, to date, all of us have gone on to pernanent jobs, 2 with the company we started with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
23,072 posts, read 49,033,952 times
Reputation: 17556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
The temp jobs boosted my resume, gave me money, new contacts and references (both supervisors loved me) and my self esteem and sanity back. Just being back in an office, wearing nice clothes and with something productive to do all day is what I needed (I'd fallen into a depression).
I think this is a biggee - depending on your age and mindset. Even though I'm now 'retired,' I really miss getting dressed up and doing something productive with highly educated, professional people. Not interested in five days a week, 9-5 anymore, but nonetheless if I were younger I would not be a happy camper. You do lose your 'edge' appearance and otherwise, I do think. Best to stay in the game, if you can.

Also, keep in mind, it is very questionable if extended unemployment benefits will continue in their present form, if at all, in 2012. The current Congress may reduce the length of time or not extend them at all.

Networking, temp work, whatever it takes. You just have to keep turning over stones and see where it goes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM
 
274 posts, read 312,668 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
After I became unemployed in Dec 2008, I took a temp 3-month job, which lead to another 5-month temp job and then to a permanent job offer.

It worked out great for me. I made more than my unemployment benefits so I didn't half to worry about that. But beforehand. I had a part-time job making less and I was able to make money there and still get partial unemployment which helped me plan my Hawaiian wedding.

The temp jobs boosted my resume, gave me money, new contacts and references (both supervisors loved me) and my self esteem and sanity back. Just being back in an office, wearing nice clothes and with something productive to do all day is what I needed (I'd fallen into a depression).

You can get yout benefits back if it doen't work out. They may be adjustd but that depends. I would definitely accept work were you can. It makes you look more desirable and employable.

At my 2nd temp job, 5 of us were hired as temps together, to date, all of us have gone on to pernanent jobs, 2 with the company we started with.
That sounds like it was ideal for you. And I know that the longer you're out of work, the worse it looks on your resume, even in this economy. But unfortunately I've seen the other, negative side of it. I worked for a company before I got laid off that used temp agencies to bring people in as temp to hire, with no intention of ever hiring them permanently. People would work as a temp for a year, always hoping to get hired permanently, then when the employee would get sick of it and ask for a decision, they would be told they were no longer needed. So that idea of getting a temp job and making the company fall in love with you doesn't always work out - depends on the company I guess!

The fact that I'm getting free healthcare as part of my unemployment is also a big factor right now. Accepting a temp job would mean giving that up. It's a toughy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 03:23 PM
 
274 posts, read 312,668 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I think this is a biggee - depending on your age and mindset. Even though I'm now 'retired,' I really miss getting dressed up and doing something productive with highly educated, professional people. Not interested in five days a week, 9-5 anymore, but nonetheless if I were younger I would not be a happy camper. You do lose your 'edge' appearance and otherwise, I do think. Best to stay in the game, if you can.

Also, keep in mind, it is very questionable if extended unemployment benefits will continue in their present form, if at all, in 2012. The current Congress may reduce the length of time or not extend them at all.

Networking, temp work, whatever it takes. You just have to keep turning over stones and see where it goes.
LOL, I hate getting dressed up for work- the more casual the better! But it's true, I do feel better in a routine, and when you're unemployed, you have to really make your own routine.

That is my big concern as well: how long will these benefits last anyway? I don't want to come to the end of one tier, only to find out that the next tier is no longer available!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
23,072 posts, read 49,033,952 times
Reputation: 17556
Whatever EUC tier you are collecting as of December 31, 2011 can be exhausted into 2012. EB in MA will be paid until January 28, 2012. After that, it's anyone's guess. Don't count on extensions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 PM
 
Location: US, California - federalist
2,793 posts, read 3,363,831 times
Reputation: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity12 View Post
It seems like I'm hearing all the time now that people on unemployment are holding out for permanent full time instead of taking temp work, or part time work, rather than jeopardizing their benefits. I'm just curious what the consensus is here: have a lot of you had problems, and what were they? Was it that your temp assignment ended and you had trouble getting back on unemployment, or did the job change your benefit amount, etc.?

I've been collecting UI since the beginning of the year, and I'm torn! Part of me says to just take a temp assignment with the hope of it leading to permanent, and the other part of me says to stick with unemployment, which is at least a stable source of money coming in right now.

Any thoughts from you all??
I have heard some people state that their unemployment benefits went down by taking a lower paying job that did not "pan out" or simply ended sooner than expected or when the temporary need was no longer there. In my opinion, it is dicey at best.

You may want to consider taking some courses to fill out any skill gaps or simply improve your resume, while you still have an income. It could look better on your resume and not impact your bottom line by trying to do what was usually considered the "right thing" even if at the expense of at the "wrong time".

We live in a first world or more developed political-economy; in my opinion, having a third world work ethic will not improve your chances for financial success in our economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 10:41 AM
 
189 posts, read 611,803 times
Reputation: 75
As others have said as it stands now Unemployment tiers are over end of the year, personally i would not take anything that does not at least have a chance of becoming full time work. Most temp jobs do not pay well at all and offer no healthcare after you factor in gas and daycare if you have kids you might be losing money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top