Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 03:14 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,886 times

Advertisements

I was on unemployment briefly a few years ago, but got a job so I didnt have to worry about it.

What happens though?

Is there another program in place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:31 PM

102 posts, read 324,621 times
I don't think there is another backup in place. If they don't have a job by then, then it is a pretty ugly situation. Usually people end up working in Mcdonalds, a job with a lower pay, go back to live with their parents, sell their house and all their unnecessary stuff, or write a sign saying will work for food and go out in the middle of highways hoping for donations from people. I've seen one too many people in Philly and in FL do that. As much as I want to help them, I'm struggling with money myself trying to be as frugal as possible.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:40 PM

189 posts, read 647,640 times
SEC 8, HUD, reduced utilities, reduced free school lunches, free medical, free cell phone, food stamps, reduced day care

There are countless programs out there, but here is the problem with those programs they are only for those who choose not to work. It is true if you held a good job all your life you do not qualify because they claim you have an earnings potential based on your work history.

The system is really screwed up when you cant use the programs you paid for your entire life.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:41 PM

106 posts, read 254,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
SEC 8, HUD, reduced utilities, reduced free school lunches, free medical, free cell phone, food stamps, reduced day care

There are countless programs out there, but here is the problem with those programs they are only for those who choose not to work. It is true if you held a good job all your life you do not qualify because they claim you have an earnings potential based on your work history.

The system is really screwed up when you cant use the programs you paid for your entire life.
I've got a bunch of friends in that situation.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:10 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,246,983 times
There's food pantrys at churches, assistance with rent etc. Dont count on Government help though. Social programs are being cut to the bone.
McDonalds IS a good job in the new normal.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:06 PM

189 posts, read 647,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Harley View Post
I've got a bunch of friends in that situation.
As do I im in commercial construction and have seen so many lose everything and still not able to qualify for any programs. Its sad when those who really need help and want to get back working are tossed to the side

Old 06-16-2011, 06:21 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,922,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6864 View Post
As do I im in commercial construction and have seen so many lose everything and still not able to qualify for any programs. Its sad when those who really need help and want to get back working are tossed to the side
and what are they doing?

are they out on the street?

doing illegal activities to make money?

what do you do when you cant get those benefits and dont have unemployment.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
My sister, 61, is approaching 99 weeks after some 25 years as a highly paid admin. asst. (Now most jobs want 1-2 years experience and very short pay. She filed for Soc.Sec. from her late husband and has his monthly pension. She got a part-time job as a receptionist for half of what she used to make. She is picking up some jobs housesitting-pet tending. She did start doing some work for catering private parties and got great feedback from the jobs she did get, but seems unwilling to really market this "I want word of mouth and it's only good business around certain holidays." I think as her 99 weeks come closer, she might (should) get on the stick with the catering. I think the days of someone her age making $45K in south Jersey for the same job she's been doing for 25 years are way over.
In desperation, I think she could sell her condo and move into a mobile home (a nice new one) in the mobile home park where my father lives- he has the smallest, oldest, worst trailer there, and lives on Soc.Security. He also told me he's leaving my sister the trailer "because I think she'll need it."
Another friend filed for Soc. Sec. at age 63, leaves *very cheaply* and her first-floor tenant basically pays her mortgage for her 2-family house. She is going to get health insurance through the Mass. health thing, but it's not so cheap. I don't think she qualifies for the really cheap one, and anyway, I think at age 65, you have to move to Medicare and get off the state requirement.
She is looking into staying with someone's Alzheimer's parent/person in their home for the day or some kind of part-time arrangement- this is becoming more and more common. She hopes to work for cash until her unemployment ends, which might be before 99 weeks, since the unemployment rate in Mass. has gone down to extended benefits might end (and the subsidized COBRA).
I must admit, said friend is something of a leech in my mind, because there are things she's refused to try and do, and set up getting fired from her last caretaker job and was offensively gleeful about the 99 weeks and subsidized insurance and all. I thought it was pretty distasteful, thinking of the many people who will try and do anything they can and have to and are still facing that brick wall.
My thoughts go out to all such people.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:01 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I was on unemployment briefly a few years ago, but got a job so I didnt have to worry about it.

What happens though?

Is there another program in place?
No there is no other program. If you have children you "might qualify" for welfare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
There's food pantrys at churches, assistance with rent etc. Dont count on Government help though. Social programs are being cut to the bone.
McDonalds IS a good job in the new normal.
LOL the food pantrys in my area are empty, there is NO additional help through the local charities in my area. We have been hit very hard, this region is still in double didgit unemployment and even McD's isn't hiring. A local Lowes advertised for ONE part time seasonal job and hundreds showed up to apply, not including those like myself who applied online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
and what are they doing?

are they out on the street?

doing illegal activities to make money?

what do you do when you cant get those benefits and dont have unemployment.
I've been selling any and everything I own for pennies on the dollar, my ancestors antiques are gone, any and all power tools gone, my beloved DSLR camera equipment gone. The only things I have left to sell are things no one's buying - antique dinning room suit and equestrian equipment.

I also have my 10 acres with MH for sale, for less than the appraised value and haven't had anyone interested in months. Recently one of the local tv channels had a segment on the real estate market and showed what they call the "ring of death" of all the surrounding counties of Atlanta where real estate is dead and will be in the foreseeable future.

I do know in GA and around the nation there is a large growing population of homeless people, living in their cars (if they still have them) there is even a national forum for the homeless here:
Homeless Forums - Powered by vBulletin
There are "tent cities" in every state and in states with milder climates they are are growing and growing.
Lisa Ling Visits a Tent City in Sacramento - Oprah.com
Here's another link I just found:
http://www.endhomelessness.org/?gcli...FcpR2godRniqgg
You can google tent cities and find hundreds of articles about them and their growth.

I don't know anything about illegal activites but in GA our break ins and robberies are way up.

For most of us who've ran out of benefits, we do qualify for SNAPS (food stamps) and at least we aren't starving, but many are complaining about the rocketing growth of food stamps now at around 44 million and still growing as people fall of the unemployment rolls and have yet to get a job. As we all know the job market still has only 1 job for every 5 people looking for work.

Many of the "99ers" are over 50 and face age discrimination. We are too young to for SS and it appears no one wants to hire us. At 60 I can't tell you how frustrating it is to want to work and can't get work.

What's even sadder is scams to get the desperate people's last dollar are rising. On another forum I belong to one woman is trying to fight off foreclosure and spent $400. to have a "forensic mortage title search" done by an unscrupulous real estate broker claiming they could stop foreclosure....there is NO SUCH THING in this state. How do I know this, before the real estate crash I spent 7 years as a real estate title examiner working for a law firm. There are just "title exams" to determine if your mortgage has fradulent transfers...lawyers and title examiners charge around $150. for something like this...the poor woman was scammed big time. There is also a growing number of fly by night for profit schools advertising if you take their courses in what ever will land you a job...NOT.

And one of the most humiliating, frustrating and anger generating issues is the growing hatred towards the poor and newly poor, just go over to CD's political forum and read all about it in the many many threads on food stamps. I'm still amazed and shocked by it. I worked hard all my life and yet my fellow citizens are up in arms over providing us with food stamps. They (being those who haven't lost their jobs in this economic mess) hate us, assume we are lazy and something must be really wrong with us if we can't even get a job at McD's or aren't willing to take "any job".

Last edited by ReturningWest; 06-17-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
No there is no other program. If you have children you "might qualify" for welfare.

LOL the food pantrys in my area are empty, there is NO additional help through the local charities in my area. We have been hit very hard, this region is still in double didgit unemployment and even McD's isn't hiring. A local Lowes advertised for ONE part time seasonal job and hundreds showed up to apply, not including those like myself who applied online.

I've been selling any and everything I own for pennies on the dollar, my ancestors antiques are gone, any and all power tools gone, my beloved DSLR camera equipment gone. The only things I have left to sell are things no one's buying - antique dinning room suit and equestrian equipment.

I also have my 10 acres with MH for sale, for less than the appraised value and haven't had anyone interested in months. Recently one of the local tv channels had a segment on the real estate market and showed what they call the "ring of death" of all the surrounding counties of Atlanta where real estate is dead and will be in the foreseeable future.

I do know in GA and around the nation there is a large growing population of homeless people, living in their cars (if they still have them) there is even a national forum for the homeless here:
Homeless Forums - Powered by vBulletin
There are "tent cities" in every state and in states with milder climates they are are growing and growing.
Lisa Ling Visits a Tent City in Sacramento - Oprah.com
Here's another link I just found:
National Alliance to End Homelessness
You can google tent cities and find hundreds of articles about them and their growth.

I don't know anything about illegal activites but in GA our break ins and robberies are way up.

For most of us who've ran out of benefits, we do qualify for SNAPS (food stamps) and at least we aren't starving, but many are complaining about the rocketing growth of food stamps now at around 44 million and still growing as people fall of the unemployment rolls and have yet to get a job. As we all know the job market still has only 1 job for every 5 people looking for work.

Many of the "99ers" are over 50 and face age discrimination. We are too young to for SS and it appears no one wants to hire us. At 60 I can't tell you how frustrating it is to want to work and can't get work.

What's even sadder is scams to get the desperate people's last dollar are rising. On another forum I belong to one woman is trying to fight off foreclosure and spent $400. to have a "forensic mortage title search" done by an unscrupulous real estate broker claiming they could stop foreclosure....there is NO SUCH THING in this state. How do I know this, before the real estate crash I spent 7 years as a real estate title examiner working for a law firm. There are just "title exams" to determine if your mortgage has fradulent transfers...lawyers and title examiners charge around $150. for something like this...the poor woman was scammed big time. There is also a growing number of fly by night for profit schools advertising if you take their courses in what ever will land you a job...NOT.

And one of the most humiliating, frustrating and anger generating issues is the growing hatred towards the poor and newly poor, just go over to CD's political forum and read all about it in the many many threads on food stamps. I'm still amazed and shocked by it. I worked hard all my life and yet my fellow citizens are up in arms over providing us with food stamps. They (being those who haven't lost their jobs in this economic mess) hate us, assume we are lazy and something must be really wrong with us if we can't even get a job at McD's or aren't willing to take "any job".
It's mind-boggling to me that GA would be in such bad shape - it always seemed like a state that had plenty going for it, and avoided the kind of excesses seen in FL, CA or NV...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment