Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,110 posts, read 80,205,776 times

Advertisements

I have used them, to find temporary help. One person has been back for 3-4 stints of 2-3 months, still hasn't found a real job, but at least is keeping her skills current. I wouldn't consider it too useful on a resume, we have gone through 3-4 before finding someone that can do the work, so the reputation of their workers is not great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM

145 posts, read 419,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
wow.. i have 2 more paychecks on unemployment before it ends..and everyone told me temp agencies get you a job immediately. i'm honestly worried
In 07 I was on unemployment and I went to a temp agency that friends of mine used to get into a specific company that wae temp to hire. I went in and did the test and such and told them the company i was looking to get into. After the drug test and such I started about 5 days later. I was also hired on by the company in about 6 months and I'm still there. The interview at the temp agency was a very easy one with a lot of softball type questions. I say it can't hurt. Go for it.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:18 PM

330 posts, read 1,454,732 times
Temp agencies are usually a good way to get a foot in the door of a company. Right now even temp agencies are not hiring. Its just slow.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM

186 posts, read 363,979 times
thanks everyone for the replies..would love to hear everyone else's experiences with temp agencies..i will be calling one tommorrow

Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,140,543 times
Good luck. When you call, they'll probably tell you to fill out their online application.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 AM

298 posts, read 388,536 times
The worst job I ever had was at a temp agency. I walked out after three weeks. They docked my pay and paid me late. Want to be treated like an animal, relatively speaking? Then work for a temp agency!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 PM

330 posts, read 1,454,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
The worst job I ever had was at a temp agency. I walked out after three weeks. They docked my pay and paid me late. Want to be treated like an animal, relatively speaking? Then work for a temp agency!
I have never had that happen to me.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:52 AM

38,632 posts, read 22,624,519 times
It's a mixed bag and everyone's experience is different. But most of the time when you sign up, do the testing, etc., there won't be anything immediately available--at least, that's been my experience with them. Currently, the economic climate is so bad that even the temp agencies don't have any work available.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide to do.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM

186 posts, read 363,979 times
i'm going to register at a temp agency tommorrow morning..they told me they were going they have me fill out some papers, be tested, and then interviewed.. anyone have more information about this process?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 PM

625 posts, read 3,627,935 times
Default You begin to wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
i'm going to register at a temp agency tommorrow morning..they told me they were going they have me fill out some papers, be tested, and then interviewed.. anyone have more information about this process?
You wait for them to call you when they have a position that fits your background. It used to be they call you and if you agree to the assignment you start the next day. Nowadays they call you, if you agree to the position, salary, location etc. they submit you to the client,then you may have to do a phone interview with the client, and then you go in for the in person interview with the client if you are chosen, and then you wait to hear if you got the assignment
I think it is absolutely nuts what they are doing now. The clients are submitting the job to the various agencies they use (that means more competition for you) and then have you jumping through hoops scheduling interviews. Gotta love the new way of temp and contract work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment