Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:39 PM

186 posts, read 363,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
You wait for them to call you when they have a position that fits your background. It used to be they call you and if you agree to the assignment you start the next day. Nowadays they call you, if you agree to the position, salary, location etc. they submit you to the client,then you may have to do a phone interview with the client, and then you go in for the in person interview with the client if you are chosen, and then you wait to hear if you got the assignment
I think it is absolutely nuts what they are doing now. The clients are submitting the job to the various agencies they use (that means more competition for you) and then have you jumping through hoops scheduling interviews. Gotta love the new way of temp and contract work

sounds like a nightmare.the worst part is that all this is probably for a job that pays low also. anyways, thanks for the reply. they said to expect to be there for 2 hours when i go tommorrow..not looking forward to it at all..i'm nervous...but i need something soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,496,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
You wait for them to call you when they have a position that fits your background. It used to be they call you and if you agree to the assignment you start the next day. Nowadays they call you, if you agree to the position, salary, location etc. they submit you to the client,then you may have to do a phone interview with the client, and then you go in for the in person interview with the client if you are chosen, and then you wait to hear if you got the assignment
I think it is absolutely nuts what they are doing now. The clients are submitting the job to the various agencies they use (that means more competition for you) and then have you jumping through hoops scheduling interviews. Gotta love the new way of temp and contract work

It is crazy. If the first temp didn't work out they used to call the agency and say it isn't working out, and the agency would send a replacement out.

Very simple.

Now it like an executive search to fill an $11 an hour job for 6 weeks.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:11 PM

86 posts, read 202,716 times
I went today to pick up my last check from my two week employment and noticed that my "replacement" was not in sight nor was there any evidence of him/her leading me to believe that the temps referred to them did not "measure up" to the controller’s standards. She may have decided to not even fill the position for now as her bonus is directly tied to the bottom line. I had also seen several emails sent from temp agency’s while I was there, from the week prior, of candidates who were highly recommended by other employers they had temped for, guess they did not meet her standards, it is absurd!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 07-01-2011, 02:21 PM

went in today, registered, did some simple choice test, then computer test...after, they interviewed me. they told me to call tuesday to see if there's work for me. asked me if i was ok with a 10 dollar an hour job if that came up..basically seeing how low i'd go. ridiculous that i spent all this money to graduate college to try to get a job that someone who dropped out of high school can probably get..hopefully they find a good paying job tuesday.. i can't truly give my opinion of temp agencies until next week

Old 07-01-2011, 02:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,496,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
went in today, registered, did some simple choice test, then computer test...after, they interviewed me. they told me to call tuesday to see if there's work for me. asked me if i was ok with a 10 dollar an hour job if that came up..basically seeing how low i'd go. ridiculous that i spent all this money to graduate college to try to get a job that someone who dropped out of high school can probably get..hopefully they find a good paying job tuesday.. i can't truly give my opinion of temp agencies until next week

Here is a tip. You need to take the $10 an hour jobs to get your foot in the door with them.

You said your UE is coming to an end, so take what they offer and if you complete an assignment they will send you on another one.

Go in to the assignment and be a professional.

You're not the first person who is college educated person who got laid off and had to take a low paying temp job.

What you can do is after a $10 assignment ends and you get a good review you can then ask about jobs that pay more.

I don't think too much of temp agencies, but if you land one assignment and show up on time and the company is pleased with you, it will get you other work if they have it available.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Here is a tip. You need to take the $10 an hour jobs to get your foot in the door with them.

You said your UE is coming to an end, so take what they offer and if you complete an assignment they will send you on another one.

Go in to the assignment and be a professional.

You're not the first person who is college educated person who got laid off and had to take a low paying temp job.

What you can do is after a $10 assignment ends and you get a good review you can then ask about jobs that pay more.

I don't think too much of temp agencies, but if you land one assignment and show up on time and the company is pleased with you, it will get you other work if they have it available.

you don't really need a temp agency to get a 10 dollar an hour job..they're not hard to get..but i understand what you're trying to say. i have a house and kids and it sucks that we're told to go to college so we never end up in this situation,..well i went to college and here i am while i know people who never went to college and make 80 k now. it's not right

Old 07-03-2011, 02:07 PM

29,630 posts, read 24,630,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
you don't really need a temp agency to get a 10 dollar an hour job..they're not hard to get..but i understand what you're trying to say. i have a house and kids and it sucks that we're told to go to college so we never end up in this situation,..well i went to college and here i am while i know people who never went to college and make 80 k now. it's not right
Maybe the person making 80k without a degree is good enough at what they do to deserve it. Is there really anything wrong with that? I find it absurd to see so many judge a person's worth based on the paper. It's also a little upsetting to see unemployed grads who look down on us hard working high school grads.

As for temp agencies, I would never use them. They just skim the top off your pay, and feed you the scraps. Many are also getting illegals and not checking the papers, and having them work for minimum wage, no matter what job it is. When they get caught, the temp agency just temporarily goes out of business, and opens up under a different name and location.

These agencies are not interested in helping you, they serve businesses, and the workers interests are irrelevant.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:12 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,616,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Maybe the person making 80k without a degree is good enough at what they do to deserve it. Is there really anything wrong with that? I find it absurd to see so many judge a persons worth based on the paper. It's also a little upsetting to see unemployed grads who look down on us hard working high school grads.

I am a college grad and even I agree with this. But I have never looked down on a high school grad because they, too, have something to offer. Just because one goes to college does not mean they should get a job over someone that chose not to go.

But on the flip side, I have seen high school grads do the same thing to college grads. It's stupid either way it goes.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:14 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,616,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

As for temp agencies, I would never use them. They just skim the top off your pay, and feed you the scraps. Many are also getting illegals and not checking the papers, and having them work for minimum wage, no matter what job it is. When they get caught, the temp agency just temporarily goes out of business, and opens up under a different name and location.

These agencies are not interested in helping you, they serve businesses, and the workers interests are irrelevant.
But without workers those agencies have nothing. They need workers to survive. They can serve the businesses all they want, but without workers they have squat. I, too, decided years ago to stop wasting my time with agencies.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:17 PM

29,630 posts, read 24,630,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
But without workers those agencies have nothing. They need workers to survive. They can serve the businesses all they want, but without workers they have squat. I, too, decided years ago to stop wasting my time with agencies.
Well, there is an endless supply of cheap labor, and not much we can do about it. I can't compete with that, so agencies are a waste of my time and energy. Even before the recession, the big 3 had engineers acquired from temp agencies working for $9 an hour. All these agencies do is stagnate, or even depress wages. How can any engineer compete with someone willing to sell their time for $9 an hour?! It's the agencies that facilitate this sort of practice, because a business on it's own would have a hard time finding such cheap labor. The agencies business is to round up these workers, and they make plenty of money doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post

I am a college grad and even I agree with this. But I have never looked down on a high school grad because they, too, have something to offer. Just because one goes to college does not mean they should get a job over someone that chose not to go.

But on the flip side, I have seen high school grads do the same thing to college grads. It's stupid either way it goes.
I don't see how a high school grad can knock a college grad. Going to college is a noble choice, but sometimes I think many are going for the wrong reasons. People want the big bucks, and that's understandable, but what happened to going because you wanted to learn something? Even if a grad can't find a job, at least they can walk away a bit smarter in the end hopefully. I think motives have a great impact on the outcome when it comes to going to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment