Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,619,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

I don't see how a high school grad can knock a college grad.
It happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 02:25 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,619,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Well, there is an endless supply of cheap labor, and not much we can do about it. I can't compete with that, so agencies are a waste of my time and energy. Even before the recession, the big 3 had engineers acquired from temp agencies working for $9 an hour. All these agencies do is stagnate, or even depress wages. How can any engineer compete with someone willing to sell their time for $9 an hour?! It's the agencies that facilitate this sort of practice, because a business on it's own would have a hard time finding such cheap labor. The agencies business is to round up these workers, and they make plenty of money doing it.
That is why I quit wasting my time with them. They are self serving.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,515,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
you don't really need a temp agency to get a 10 dollar an hour job..they're not hard to get..but i understand what you're trying to say. i have a house and kids and it sucks that we're told to go to college so we never end up in this situation,..well i went to college and here i am while i know people who never went to college and make 80 k now. it's not right
There are people who didn't go to college who are skilled labor. If you're a plumber, electricians, etc. you are in demand and making good money.

These people are going to do better than someone who a degree in 18th Century English Literature.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,140,543 times
One of the local temp services here had a recruiting fair yesterday. I'm registered with them, so I called and ask if they actually had any work to warrant having the recruitment fair. This is what I was told: "No, we don't have any work right now, but we want to have more people signed up with us, just in case we do get any work in."

What a waste of time!

Old 07-15-2011, 06:23 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,515,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
One of the local temp services here had a recruiting fair yesterday. I'm registered with them, so I called and ask if they actually had any work to warrant having the recruitment fair. This is what I was told: "No, we don't have any work right now, but we want to have more people signed up with us, just in case we do get any work in."

What a waste of time!

That is a waste of time. They already have tons of people in their databases, people calling in for work, so let's add more names.

What they do is request references and they then solicit those references for business.

And people waste their time and gas.

A recruitment fair for temp jobs.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:11 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,140,543 times
And people wonder why I won't go to temp agencies.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:40 AM

32 posts, read 72,503 times
When I was first unemployed I signed up with a bunch of them. Had exactly one call for a job, during the middle of our worst snowstorm and it was 70 miles away. I didn't accept the position and haven't heard from any of them ever again.

Now, I did get 2 long-term temp jobs for the city and the county. These were posted through the Work Force Center. I hope they will eventually lead to something else, but in the meantime, my resume looks better.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,194,567 times
does anyone think it is worth it to commute 50 miles round trip for a $9 an hour temp-job in the accounting field? i feel inclined to just stick with my current $12 an hour night job until i finish college and get my B.S in Accounting. but i could use the experience.....

if anyone could give me advice on what to do, that would be great. im starting to think i would be better off sticking to my crappy current job for now.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,797,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
to those that have used them, can they find you a job immediately? thanks in advance
They wll be interested in the lowest salary you will accept instead of the highest because you have no other options. And if you don't accept their salary offer for a certain position they won't call you back

Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,511,047 times
Temp agencies are the bottom of the rung. Leeches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment