Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,791,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Temp agencies are the bottom of the rung. Leeches.

Some of them but not all. Just like two people going on a date, there as to be mutual interest. You have to like the position and salary and they have to like your background and qualifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 01:29 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,984,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
does anyone think it is worth it to commute 50 miles round trip for a $9 an hour temp-job in the accounting field? i feel inclined to just stick with my current $12 an hour night job until i finish college and get my B.S in Accounting. but i could use the experience.....

if anyone could give me advice on what to do, that would be great. im starting to think i would be better off sticking to my crappy current job for now.
"Normally", I would say to go for the "experience", but not anymore.

I say do what you're gut is telling you to do. If it feels good or right to you, then it's a good move. If you feel tense or stressed, then it's not. You'll wind up regretting it somehow.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:34 AM

15,110 posts, read 32,134,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
does anyone think it is worth it to commute 50 miles round trip for a $9 an hour temp-job in the accounting field? i feel inclined to just stick with my current $12 an hour night job until i finish college and get my B.S in Accounting. but i could use the experience.....

if anyone could give me advice on what to do, that would be great. im starting to think i would be better off sticking to my crappy current job for now.
It's not worth it to drive 50 miles for less money just to get some experience. Besides losing $3 per hour, you have the wear and tear on your car, plus you'll use more gas. Keep your $12 night job until you get your degree.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 42,087 times
Default Just wanted to chime in

In the mid 90's temp agencies used to be able to get you working right away. You still had to come in and do all of the testing, but if you passed, there was usually some type of office or light industrial work assignment they could give you the next day, and you would get paid the following Friday. It's not like that anymore though, and hasn't been for awhile.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquagoth View Post
In the mid 90's temp agencies used to be able to get you working right away. You still had to come in and do all of the testing, but if you passed, there was usually some type of office or light industrial work assignment they could give you the next day, and you would get paid the following Friday. It's not like that anymore though, and hasn't been for awhile.
This is correct. Now it's, "just keep calling, and if we get anything in, we'll let you know."

Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,904,159 times
i guess im in the minority. i got real lucky with my temp(randstad).

they had a contract with wells fargo and i landed a 2 year temp assignment with them(24 month assignment)

the experience i got with that job helped land me my current permanent job today.

i think it depends on the temp you go to.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
i guess im in the minority. i got real lucky with my temp(randstad).

they had a contract with wells fargo and i landed a 2 year temp assignment with them(24 month assignment)

the experience i got with that job helped land me my current permanent job today.

i think it depends on the temp you go to.
What type of work do you do?

Old 07-23-2011, 02:30 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,006,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms1234 View Post
to those that have used them, can they find you a job immediately? thanks in advance
Forgive me for not reading 5 pages of replies before adding my own. If I am being repetitious, please excuse.

It depends on what your skills are, and what you are willing to do.

In Branson, if you are willing to clean motel rooms you can walk into a temp agency and walk out with an assignment any day of the week.

Many work places are being very cautious these days. You may be required to take a drug test first or maybe a background check.

You can usually find something on day labor if you are into construction or landscaping, depending on your location.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 AM

It depends on what your skills are, and what you are willing to do. I have admin skills, and they have no work.

In Branson, if you are willing to clean motel rooms you can walk into a temp agency and walk out with an assignment any day of the week. I've never heard of a temp agency hiring for any hotels/motels. It's normally done directly by the hotel/motel.

Many work places are being very cautious these days. You may be required to take a drug test first or maybe a background check. Temp agencies don't do these, it would cost them more $$, and they don't want to put it out.

You can usually find something on day labor if you are into construction or landscaping, depending on your location. Not true. Here in San Diego, we have day laborers that stand outside the Home Depot stores and a Hispanic market waiting for someone to come by and offer them work.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,006,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

You can usually find something on day labor if you are into construction or landscaping, depending on your location. Not true. Here in San Diego, we have day laborers that stand outside the Home Depot stores and a Hispanic market waiting for someone to come by and offer them work.
If this were the case, and I wanted to work. I'd be standing out in front of Home Depot too. You might want to brush up on your Spanish.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment