Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM

9 posts, read 33,039 times

Advertisements

I was on EB and the last week payable was the end of may (when my benefits went to 0) this is for NY. At that time more money appeared in my benefit account to the tune of 13 more weeks. I just got a letter saying I qualified for Tier 4 and tier 4 would start June 10th. Now that says 6 weeks which would have it ending July 15th but I have enough in my balance to go till Aug 12. My question is if I did trigger on to Tier 4 does it allow me to exhaust the remaining balance in the account and that's it? Or will it stop at 6 weeks and not give me the money left over in the account?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Neither. You've misunderstood the intent of this letter.

The letter means you can exhaust your 13 weeks Tier III and receive an additional weeks Tier IV thereafter.

The letter is merely alerting you that NY has now triggered back on to Tier IV and has entered the mandatory 13-week Tier IV benefit period with the week (beginning June 4) ending June 10th (NY ends its benefit weeks on Sunday).

BLS Announcement on 5/21/12 on NY Triggering "on" Tier IV effective 6/4 (week ending 6/10):
Quote:
New York triggers "on" in Tier 4 of the EUC 2008 program.
Based on data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics on May 18, 2012, the estimated three month average, seasonally adjusted total unemployment rate for New York rose to meet the 8.5% threshold to trigger "on" in Tier 4 of the EUC 2008 program. The 13 week mandatory "on" period in New York for Tier 4 of the EUC program will begin June 4, 2012.
In other words, if you exhaust your Tier III on or before September 2, 2012 (end of 13-week mandatory on period), you will be eligible for an additional 6 weeks Tier IV benefits.

Congratulations!

ETA: Eligibility for Tier IV may continue beyond September 2, 2012 for NY claimants if NY continues to maintain a 3-month average UE rate of 9%.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-06-2012 at 11:04 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 PM

Thanks but I'm still a little lost. If I divide my total balance amount it shows that I will have received 93 weeks. I currently have six weeks left in my balance from that. So I should get that plus an additional six weeks from tier 4 making it 99 weeks? I thought I had gotten tier 3 way back when. My original claim date was 9/2010.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnybunbun View Post
Thanks but I'm still a little lost. If I divide my total balance amount it shows that I will have received 93 weeks. I currently have six weeks left in my balance from that. So I should get that plus an additional six weeks from tier 4 making it 99 weeks? I thought I had gotten tier 3 way back when. My original claim date was 9/2010.
Well, if you thought you had gotten Tier 3 "way back when," then you need to audit your claim. Sounds like you have had more than one claim. Probably, NY opened another claim for you after 9/2010 and you weren't aware of it.

If you can't figure it out, call NY and ask where you are on Tier 3 and why you are getting Tier 3 - AGAIN - if you received Tier 3 earlier.

The number of weeks you have collected thus far is irrelevant. It is possible for the monetary allocation available under a 99 week claim to be paid out over far more than 99 weeks if the employee has worked during the existence of that claim.

It is also possible to collect more than 99 weeks if you have had more than one claim.

What matters is:
  1. Number of claims and when opened
  2. Did you work, thus extending payment of benefits over a longer period than normal on any of the claims?
  3. On what claim are you being paid now?
  4. Where are you on that claim?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-07-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 PM

I added it up and it seems as if originally I had gotten the original 26 weeks then tier 1 20 weeks tier 2 13 weeks then 20 weeks of eb which equaled the 79 then they added on 13 weeks in may which I can assume was the tier 3 13 weeks kicking in and then when that ends in aug the tier 4 6 weeks will come in. Does this sound about right? I just can't find anything on when tier 3 triggered on right when my eb was ending. Sorry if I seem repetitive when I call NYC I can never get a clear answer. Last time I called the lady didn't even know how to calculate how many weeks I had received.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I added it up and it seems as if originally I had gotten the original 26 weeks then tier 1 20 weeks tier 2 13 weeks then 20 weeks of eb which equaled the 79 then they added on 13 weeks in may which I can assume was the tier 3 13 weeks kicking in and then when that ends in aug the tier 4 6 weeks will come in. Does this sound about right?
Yes. There must have been a lapse somewhere along the line and NY transferred you to Extended Benefits. Some states will do this during legislative lapses.

When the EB was exhausted, NY put you back on what remained of your EUC. You are the second person today who has had this experience.

Lucky you. NY is no longer paying EB.

So, you got all your EB - and now will collect your remaining EUC Tiers 3 and 4.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Yep there was a 2 month lapse between nov n dec of last year where I got nothing then I got a letter saying I got eb for 20 weeks and to start claiming again. Ok thank u so much for your help my mind is at ease now

Old 07-12-2012, 09:33 AM

86 posts, read 354,837 times
interesting post...Ariadne22....your very knowledgable..

Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 PM

Without knowing your claim history, no one can answer your questions, so I have moved the posts from your two new threads of today to your original thread begun a week ago, so others get a more complete picture.

Your posts on two other threads today were:
Quote:
If it says that I have exhausted my unempoyment benefits on NY State, what happens to the remaining money in my account? Do I get it or is it a lost cause. I have been getting UE since 9/2010
Quote:
I have been receiving NYS unemployment since 9/2010. In may my extended benefits ended and then 13 more weeks worth of benefits were added to my account which I assumed was the Tier 3? Then I received a letter for tier 4 as well. I have already called and they make no sense. I had figured out that I was getting my remaining Tier 3 then would get tier 4. I just filed today and this is what it said" You have exhausted all unemployment benefits on your claim. We encourage you to use the One Stop Centers for help in your job search. To find out if you are eligible for assistance provided by other New York State programs and services, go to www.mybenefits.ny.gov."....I still have 1345 remaining on my benefits. So is this a glitch and I should keep filing, or as I read that even if you have exhausted all benefit claims they continue to pay out your remaining balance, you just can't move to another tier right?
This is a computer glitch. It is Sunday, after all. Try claiming again tomorrow.

As posted upthread, you are eligible to exhaust Tier 3 and then an additional 6 weeks Tier 4.

Keep claiming.

Of course, if you keep getting the message, you will have to call NY and keep calling until you get a rep that knows what they are doing.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Thanks It did allow me to claim like I normally do that was the message it gave me after I filed the claim. I looked and it says I submitted a claim for this last week so idk lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment