Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

How does this work? i know that the UC is reduced once you start working part-time but what is the max for part-time hours or income and how much is reduced from uC? I guess that would depend on the part-time money you make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 03:53 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
It all depends on the how much money you make.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Each state has its own formula. You are in PA. They calculate the partial weekly benefit rate (PBR) as follows:
Quote:
Partial Benefit Credit You may earn up to 40 percent of your weekly benefit rate in each claim week before your earnings affect your weekly benefit payment. This 40 percent of your weekly benefit rate is your "partial benefit credit." Any amount that you earn over the partial benefit credit earned in a week will be deducted from your weekly benefit rate dollar-for-dollar. When reporting earnings for a calendar week, always give the actual amount of gross earnings. The amount is rounded up to the highest dollar amount (i.e., $76.07 = $77) when determining the amount payable for the week.

The following example shows how the partial benefit credit works:

A person becomes unemployed and applies for UC benefits, and is determined to have a weekly benefit rate of $200. With a weekly benefit rate of $200, the partial benefit credit is $80 (40% of $200 = $80). This means that the claimant could earn up to $80 and still receive the full $200 in UC benefits for that week.
Complete explanation here:

UC Eligibility

In most states, if you work 32 hours in a week, you are ineligible for benefits.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-19-2011 at 05:33 PM..

Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Each state has its own formula. You are in PA. They calculate the partial weekly benefit rate (PBR) as follows:
Complete explanation here:

UC Eligibility

In most states, if you work 32 hours in a week, you are ineligible for benefits.
Well that's understandable because 32 hours is pretty much a full time job

Old 08-20-2011, 12:08 PM

32 posts, read 72,666 times
I was gratefully surprised when my 6 month part-time job ended up extending my unemployment. Of course, they allowed me to work only 18 hrs week so I would not lose my benefits. They tried to hire me but then there was (and still is) a hiring freeze.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
How does this work? i know that the UC is reduced once you start working part-time but what is the max for part-time hours or income and how much is reduced from uC? I guess that would depend on the part-time money you make.
I worked part-time and received unemployment for nearly a year. Each state is different but here in California, they would subtract 75% of your part-time weekly earnings from the UI weekly amount awarded. Whatever is left over is what you would received from UI. It wound up extending my UI benefits as they would have ran out in 6 months had I collected the full amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment