Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:00 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidNiki View Post
It looks like regardless of when I start EB it will cut off on Jan 8th, 2012. (This is different from TX which states that I just have to start EB before the end of 2011 in order to get the full 20 weeks it provides.
Where is this stated on the TX website? Last year, TX stopped EB payments on December 4, 2010, FOUR DAYS after the expiration date of the unemployment legislation on November 30, 2010. If the TX website now states EB will continue even if legislation is not extended, it is WRONG. CA also posted similarly misleading statements on its website last year. They were WRONG, as well.

Eligibility dates have nothing to do with cutoff dates as they relate to EB payments. Even the UE reps don't understand the difference.

EUC
tiers are paid in full provided eligibility dates are met.

EB payments end when federal funding ends - or within a few weeks thereof, depending on state law. At present, federal funding ends on December 31, 2011. Some states mandate payment of EB. TX is NOT one of those states.

Many states FAIL to mention on their websites that although the eligibility date for EB is December 31, 2011, the cutoff date for ANY EB payment falls shortly thereafter.

TX will NOT pay EB much beyond December 31, 2011 without federal help. For that to happen, Congress needs to extend the unemployment legislation which expires December 31, 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidNiki View Post
For those of you that have been following the NY laws closely, does it look like maybe they will extend the cut off date for EB?
NY would have to pass a state law mandating payment of EB 100% with state money. Not going to happen. Majority of states in the country are in serious trouble due to reduced tax revenues (because of high unemployment) and increased unemployment payments and are looking to cut their expenses any way they can. TX also has no such law.

If it isn't 100% federal money, EB will not be paid in most states. Even in some of the mandated EB states, the lookback period, which also expires December 31, may still prevent payment of EB.

At the moment, this is a gray area. The only state I'm reasonably certain will continue EB beyond December 31, 2011 is NJ, which states on its website it will pay EB provided its unemployment rate is at least 6%. Most of the other mandated states may be caught in the lookback trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM

22 posts, read 41,615 times
Default Question regarding EB?

Hello all...

Can someone tell me whether eb is based on the state you currently reside in or rather the state you collect in? For example I live in Florida but collect in ny. Florida's ui rate is currently 9.9%. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enap66 View Post
Can someone tell me whether eb is based on the state you currently reside in or rather the state you collect in? For example I live in Florida but collect in ny. Florida's ui rate is currently 9.9%. Thanks!
Unemployment benefits, state, federal EUC and EB, are based on the rate paid in the state from which you are claiming. See FAQS #9: //www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...ment-faqs.html

Old 02-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Unemployment benefits, state, federal EUC and EB, are based on the rate paid in the state from which you are claiming. See FAQS #9: //www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...ment-faqs.html
Thank you. Strange, about 3 years back after shutting down my companies in california, I collected ui. When emergency benefits came along it was based on the state I was living, not collecting in at the time. Which was florida. Cali perhaps does it differently.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Strange, about 3 years back after shutting down my companies in california, I collected ui. When emergency benefits came along it was based on the state I was living, not collecting in at the time. Which was florida. Cali perhaps does it differently.
Did you have FL earnings? CA would shed you from its rolls as soon as you have eligible earnings in FL.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 AM

California was 3 years ago. I'm no longer claiming Ca. I merely made the point that, back then Ca based receiving the emergency benefits on the state I was living in. I was in Fl and since Fl wasn't high enough at the time, I was required to either 1. move back to Ca to continue collecting EB OR move to a state with an unemployment rate that is high enough to justify those additional emergency benefits. So I moved to NY, which is why I worked for some time there and then was laid off (along with half the office due to the economy) and which is also why I started collecting in NY. But I've since moved to Florida and again, the EB came up. But now I'm being told by members on this site that NY will base it off NY's unemployment rate and NOT the state you reside in. In other words, the same situation, just different times and the two states are approaching it differently. Hmmm, as if they're conveniently selecting the road that keeps more money in their own pockets... (like one additional person is going to change anything??? They need to be changed from the inside out and stop indebting us and future generations!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Did you have FL earnings? CA would shed you from its rolls as soon as you have eligible earnings in FL.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
California was 3 years ago. I'm no longer claiming Ca.

I merely made the point that, back then Ca based receiving the emergency benefits on the state I was living in.

I was in Fl and since Fl wasn't high enough at the time, I was required to either

1. move back to Ca to continue collecting EB OR

2. move to a state with an unemployment rate that is high enough to justify those additional emergency benefits.
You are conflating Emergency Unemployment Compensation Benefit (EUC) rules with Extended Benefit (EB) rules.

If you were in fact collecting EUC benefits, it wouldn't have mattered where you lived - your claiming state UE rates prevail. See FAQS #9: //www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html

Your eligibility to receive California Extended Benefits (EB) (aka Fed-Ed) required that both your resident and claiming state be paying EB. CA could not pay you EB if FL was not also paying EB.

Quote:
So I moved to NY, which is why I worked for some time there and then was laid off (along with half the office due to the economy) and which is also why I started collecting in NY.
By living in NY, you met EB (not EUC) parameters that both claiming and resident state must be paying EB, so you were then able to collect California Fed-Ed at the CA benefit rate until you found work in NY.
Quote:
But I've since moved to Florida and again, the EB came up.

But now I'm being told by members on this site that NY will base it off NY's unemployment rate and NOT the state you reside in.
This has always been true. See FAQS #9: //www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html
  • Your weekly benefit rate is determined by the benefits paid in the state in which you file your claim.
  • Your ability to collect EUC benefits depends on the claiming state's UE rate triggers.
  • Your resident state UE rate only applies when you have exhausted state and EUC benefits and need to collect EB. Then, BOTH states' UE rates matter as both states must be paying EB in order for you to collect.
If your claim originates in NY, you are paid by NY at the NY benefit rate and NY UE rates determine NY's ability to pay EUC (after state benefits are exhausted). When EUC is exhausted, you will be able to collect EB - IF both NY and FL are paying EB. Nothing has changed.

Both states must be paying EB should you get that far in your claim for you to collect. Which is unlikely, as NELP projects NY will trigger off EB in May and FL will trigger off in June. http://www.csmonitor.com/var/ezflow_...h_full_600.jpg

Quote:
Hmmm, as if they're conveniently selecting the road that keeps more money in their own pockets... (like one additional person is going to change anything??? They need to be changed from the inside out and stop indebting us and future generations!!!)
This is totally NOT a correct conclusion. There is no inconsistency whatsoever. EUC and EB benefits have always been paid under the same rules when you are claiming from one state and living in another.

Again, see FAQS #9: //www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html

Federal program going forward, see: //www.city-data.com/forum/23183369-post5.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-08-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment