U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-30-2011, 08:11 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,471 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

New York State has been at 8% for 3 months now

June, July and August 2011

I have read that if the unemployment rate in New York state goes up to 8% or higher, that 20 weeks would go back into effect.

Does anyone know when this is going to be put back into place for the last 3 months? It's currently at 13 weeks after falling when last updated June 24, 2011 to 7.9%.

Thanks for responding..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
23,038 posts, read 48,967,941 times
Reputation: 17510
Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployedny View Post
New York State has been at 8% for 3 months now

June, July and August 2011

I have read that if the unemployment rate in New York state goes up to 8% or higher, that 20 weeks would go back into effect.

Does anyone know when this is going to be put back into place for the last 3 months? It's currently at 13 weeks after falling when last updated June 24, 2011 to 7.9%.
Judging from the website which lists July 11 as the date of reversion to 13 weeks EB, it appears NYS might resume offering up to 20 weeks EB on Monday, October 10th, which means beginning the week ending October 16th. You need to call NYS to verify this.
Quote:
Starting Monday, July 11, 2011, New York will offer 86 weeks of UI benefits (26 weeks of regular UI + 60 weeks of additional benefits).

Extended Benefits - New York State Department of Labor
Be forewarned, these EB payments might last just one month if the unemployment rate drops as the August statistics were affected by the Verizon strike. Should the September rate drop, EB payments would cease in the middle of November.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2011, 09:46 AM
 
4 posts, read 10,471 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for responding Ariadne22. I am going to call them this week to find out for sure.

Doesn't it go according to a 3 month average though? Last 3 month period was for June, July and August. So the next 3 month period be September, October and November at which point if the NY state's unemployment rate dropped under 8% they would cut back to 13 weeks again the end of November. That's how I'm understanding how NY's EB benefits work?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Judging from the website which lists July 11 as the date of reversion to 13 weeks EB, it appears NYS might resume offering up to 20 weeks EB on Monday, October 10th, which means beginning the week ending October 16th. You need to call NYS to verify this.Be forewarned, these EB payments might last just one month if the unemployment rate drops as the August statistics were affected by the Verizon strike. Should the September rate drop, EB payments would cease in the middle of November.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
23,038 posts, read 48,967,941 times
Reputation: 17510
Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployedny View Post
Thanks for responding Ariadne22. I am going to call them this week to find out for sure.

Doesn't it go according to a 3 month average though? Last 3 month period was for June, July and August. So the next 3 month period be September, October and November at which point if the NY state's unemployment rate dropped under 8% they would cut back to 13 weeks again the end of November. That's how I'm understanding how NY's EB benefits work?
No, it is a rolling three months. The three-month average unemployment rate is recalculated monthly every time the new unemployment numbers are released.

Also, based on their website, it appears NY pays EB two weeks past the actual 'expiration' date into the following month, not to the end of the following month. Most states cease paying EB within a few weeks of the new numbers being announced. The only state which might differ in that is Massachusetts which will pay almost to the end of the following month.

When you call NY, let us know what they say.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 AM
 
4 posts, read 10,471 times
Reputation: 10
Yes, I'm going to call them tomorrow. I will post what I find out.

Thanks again


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
No, it is a rolling three months. The three-month average unemployment rate is recalculated monthly every time the new unemployment numbers are released.

Also, based on their website, it appears NY pays EB two weeks past the actual 'expiration' date into the following month, not to the end of the following month. Most states cease paying EB within a few weeks of the new numbers being announced. The only state which might differ in that is Massachusetts which will pay almost to the end of the following month.

When you call NY, let us know what they say.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 AM
 
4 posts, read 10,471 times
Reputation: 10
I was not able to reach them yesterday as on Monday's their lines are flooded. I talked to a representative this morning who told me that those who qualify would be receiving letters in the mail stating the reinstatement of 7 more weeks EB. She said to keep checking the website to see when they update it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 06:55 PM
 
22 posts, read 39,912 times
Reputation: 10
Hello,

I was wondering about something, perhaps you all know the answer to this...? I have received my first tier, all 26 weeks. I then was moved to a second tier, at which point is generally 20 weeks when the 3 month average UI rate is 8% or higher and when it's below that, it's 14 weeks, as you probably already know. My question is this... I'm at the end of the second tier. I have 1 week left out of 14. According to the benefits calculator, I have some time remaining. A total of 60 weeks. Is that accurate as far as you know? Thank you for your help...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
23,038 posts, read 48,967,941 times
Reputation: 17510
Quote:
Originally Posted by enap66 View Post
Hello,

I was wondering about something, perhaps you all know the answer to this...?
Okay, we'll try this again. This was all explained to you at length on the other thread. EB does NOT concern you at this point. Forget about EB. It is the last level of benefits available AFTER you have exhausted state benefits and Tiers 1, 2, 3.

Please read this carefully:

Provided eligibility dates and triggers are met, unemployment benefits are paid in the following order:

26 weeks - New York State benefits
20 weeks - EUC Tier 1 Benefits
14 weeks - EUC Tier 2 Benefits
13 weeks - EUC Tier 3 Benefits
06 weeks - EUC Tier 4 Benefits (NY does not pay due to UE rate below 8.5%)
13 weeks - Extended Benefits
07 weeks - High Extended Benefits (NY will resume due to UE rate of 8%)

My response to your current post in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enap66 View Post
Hello,

I was wondering about something, perhaps you all know the answer to this...? I have received my first tier, all 26 weeks.

Wrong. The first 26 weeks is NOT a federal EUC tier. It is your initial New York State unemployment benefits.

I then was moved to a second tier, at which point is generally 20 weeks

Wrong. You were moved to Tier I (not Tier 2) for 20 weeks. See order of benefits above.

when the 3 month average UI rate is 8% or higher and when it's below that, it's 14 weeks, as you probably already know.

Wrong. Tier 2 is NOT subject to an 8% trigger. You are confusing Tier 2 with the last seven weeks of Extended Benefits which are NOT available to you until you have exhausted all of the following:

state benefits (26 weeks),
Tier 1 (20 weeks),
Tier 2 (14 weeks),
Tier 3 (13 weeks)
EB (13 weeks).

My question is this... I'm at the end of the second tier. I have 1 week left out of 14.

Wrong. You are completing Tier 1 - and have SEVEN WEEKS REMAINING ON TIER I.

According to the benefits calculator, I have some time remaining. A total of 60 weeks. Is that accurate as far as you know? Thank you for your help...

At this point, you (based on your other posts) are eligible to collect, including what you have received so far, a total of 60 weeks. You do NOT have 60 weeks remaining.

Under present legislation, you DO have remaining another 20 weeks -

Tier 1 - 07 weeks
Tier 2 - 13 weeks

for a total of 20 weeks.

If Congress extends the unemployment legislation, you are then eligible to collect an additional 13 weeks on Tier 3 and 20 weeks Extended Benefits - provided NYS is still paying all 20 weeks. There is also the possibility of another 6 weeks on Tier 4 if NYS 3-month average unemployment rate rises to 8.5%.
This was explained to you previously, here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Benefits available are as follows:

26 weeks - state benefits
20 weeks - EUC Tier 1 Benefits
14 weeks - EUC Tier 2 Benefits
13 weeks - EUC Tier 3 Benefits
06 weeks - EUC Tier 4 Benefits (NY does not pay due to UE rate below 8.5%)
13 weeks - Extended Benefits
07 weeks - High Extended Benefits (NY will resume due to UE rate of 8%)

OP, you are on your first tier and nowhere near reaching Extended Benefits. If Congress extends the legislation at the end of this year, you will continue to transition through the tiers. EB will depend on what NYS three-month average unemployment rate is at the time you have exhausted your EUC tiers sometime in 2012.
and here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The amount of weeks legislated by Congress remains at 99, depending on the individual state unemployment rates.

The eligibility date to transition to EUC tiers/EB can reduce the number of weeks available for certain claimants depending on when their claim began - unless Congress extends the legislation at the end of this year.

What NYS is saying on their website is that without further extension by Congress at the end of this year, claims which begin Feb. 7, 2011, receive 60 weeks of state and EUC benefits as follows:

26 weeks state benefits
20 weeks EUC Tier I
14 weeks EUC Tier II

assuming you have transitioned to Tier II on or before the eligibility expiration date of December 31, 2011.

EB has nothing to do with your particular claim at this point because you have not exhausted Tier II or Tier III - unless you were not eligible for the full 26 weeks' state benefits initially. Then your tier benefits would have been reduced/prorated.

Recent claimants who do not exhaust their state benefits on or before December 24, 2011 will be eligible for no more than 26 weeks state benefits unless Congress extends the legislation.

Those who are just now beginning Tier I are eligible only for 46 weeks unless Congress extends the legislation.

Those who have exhausted all their state benefits (26 wks) and their Tier 1, 2, 3 benefits (20+14+13=47 weeks) are eligible for EB (13-20 weeks - depending on how long NY will pay).

EB will not be paid by NYS beyond the first week or two in 2012 unless Congress extends the legislation.

December 31, 2011 is key. If Congress extends the legislation, eligibility dates for all the benefits are extended accordingly and those who might otherwise be cut off can continue to cycle through the Tiers and EB - unemployment rate triggers permitting.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-09-2011 at 10:31 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 07:02 AM
 
22 posts, read 39,912 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Okay, we'll try this again. This was all explained to you at length on the other thread. EB does NOT concern you at this point. Forget about EB. It is the last level of benefits available AFTER you have exhausted state benefits and Tiers 1, 2, 3.

Please read this carefully:

Provided eligibility dates and triggers are met, unemployment benefits are paid in the following order:

26 weeks - New York State benefits
20 weeks - EUC Tier 1 Benefits
14 weeks - EUC Tier 2 Benefits
13 weeks - EUC Tier 3 Benefits
06 weeks - EUC Tier 4 Benefits (NY does not pay due to UE rate below 8.5%)
13 weeks - Extended Benefits
07 weeks - High Extended Benefits (NY will resume due to UE rate of 8%)

My response to your current post in bold:

This was explained to you previously, here:


and here:
Very detailed indeed. Got it. The only reason I ask again is because it reads as "remaining balance $xxx" and is a total of 1 more week, for a total of 13 weeks (perhaps 14?).... This is throwing me off. It seems odd that I'm going to receive an additional 7 weeks in tier 1 but the balance has run out. Strange.

Last edited by enap66; 10-10-2011 at 07:16 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 AM
 
22 posts, read 39,912 times
Reputation: 10
The only reason I ask again is because it reads as "remaining balance $xxx" and is a total of 1 more week, for a total of 13 weeks (perhaps 14?).... This is throwing me off. It seems odd that I'm going to receive an additional 7 weeks in tier 1 but the balance has run out. Strange.

Last edited by enap66; 10-10-2011 at 08:33 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top