U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 24,259 times

Advertisements

NEW JERSEY

I am currently in tier 4 and collecting 590 a week.

I started working at a restaurant and received a check for 37 dollars on thursday of this week.

Today when I did my online claim I reported my 37 dollars and 8 hours of work with the information for the restaurant where I work.

When I pressed accept, it said your claim has been accepted and it will take a few days to review.

I dont understand why I didnt receive any compensation this week. Should i call the claims office.

I also changed my address to Flordia since I moved here. Does this have any bearing on my claim?

Side Note*** - Once tier V runs out after 6 weeks, How or will I be eligible for EB.

Thank You,
Scared part-time worker figuring out how to come up with rent money.

Last edited by CoreyRNYC; 10-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: adding state
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM

24,045 posts, read 51,928,750 times
NJ is conducting a routine review of your claim for possible eligibility for a new state claim based on earnings during the past twelve months. Under federal law the states must conduct this review quarterly for anyone collecting EUC. This should not take more than a few days. If NJ does determine you are eligible for a new claim, under HR4213 you can defer payment on this claim if the benefit is $100 or 25% lower than your current benefit.

If there is no new claim, when you exhaust Tier IV, NJ will transfer you to Extended Benefits which you can expect to receive until the end of the year. Since you no longer live in NJ and FL will not pay EB next year if Congress does not extend the unemployment legislation, your Extended Benefits will end - as both your claiming state (NJ) and resident state (FL) must pay EB in order for you to receive it. EB is a state mandated benefit in NJ, so NJ EB will be paid next year whether or not Congress extends the legislation, but only to those residing in states which are also paying EB.

Know that if your part-time earnings create new claim eligibility, however, your EB under the first claim is lost. EB is only paid on the most recent claim, if that claim is eligible. If you are only earning $40/week, it is doubtful you have earned enough to qualify for a new claim in either NJ or FL.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM

Im sorry Im a bit confused. Maybe you can help clarify this for me in lament terms.

1) Since I am working now, will I collect the rest of my tier IV....say im making 100 a week?

2) If they determine im eligible under tier IV, will the claim I put in today be deposited into my account once the review is conducted?

CORRECTION I realized im finishing up tier III.

3) I was told by my NJ Unemployment office on the phone that Fl is an EB state and if im eligible I will receive that compensation.

4) I remember i read somewhere if i earn 4 times my benefit I qualify for EB.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:09 PM

My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyRNYC View Post
Im sorry Im a bit confused. Maybe you can help clarify this for me in lament terms.

1) Since I am working now, will I collect the rest of my tier IV....say im making 100 a week?

Only if a new claim is not established based on your part-time earnings. Or, if it is, and you can defer payment of this new claim under HR4213.

2) If they determine im eligible under tier IV, will the claim I put in today be deposited into my account once the review is conducted?

CORRECTION I realized im finishing up tier III.

Yes.

3) I was told by my NJ Unemployment office on the phone that Fl is an EB state and if im eligible I will receive that compensation.

Operative words are "I'm eligible." That statement is correct only until the end of 2011.

Both resident and claiming state must be paying EB for you to collect.

As I said above, if Congress does not extend the unemployment legislation, FL will not pay EB. Therefore you will not be eligible for NJ EB.

Since you are now residing in FL, NJ will not pay you EB next year if Congress does not extend the legislation.

In that event, when you go to claim EB next year, you will get a message which says something along the line of "EB is not payable at this time as your resident state is not paying EB."

So be prepared for that possibility. Your only solution then would be to move back to NJ or another state paying EB.

4) I remember i read somewhere if i earn 4 times my benefit I qualify for EB.

That is true. But it will NOT apply next year if (1) you are still living in FL and (2) Congress does not extend unemployment benefits.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Im not following the "only if a new claim is not established due to part time earning part".

- Does this mean the current review that I'm undergoing?

OR

is it something I have to file or the state does.

I appreciate you getting back to me.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:24 PM

My comments in bold:
Quote:
Im not following
the "only if a new claim is not established due to part time earning part".

- Does this mean the current review that I'm undergoing?

Yes.

OR

is it something I have to file or the state does.

The state takes care of this. You don't do anything. As I said in my first post, by federal law the states must do a quarterly review for anyone receiving EUC.

I appreciate you getting back to me.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:03 PM

For kicks today, i tried to file again to see what the message would say. The claim opened up like normal.

Does this mean my review went well?

Or

The first message I got was a glitch.

Should I report my earnings again this week?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
For kicks today, i tried to file again to see what the message would say. The claim opened up like normal.

Does this mean my review went well?

Or

The first message I got was a glitch.

Should I report my earnings again this week?
Yes. Keep claiming, as you normally do. Never stop claiming. Eventually, the system will catch up.

It is too early to know at this point if your claim is back on track (the review went well). I doubt the first message was a glitch. More likely a message that is received when your review reaches a certain point in the claims process, whether or not that is the final determination.

Just wait a day or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment