Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 AM

41 posts, read 390,409 times

Advertisements

I filed for my weekly unemployment benefits online today and I received this message:

"Your claim for unemployment benefits has been received. Your claim is not payable at this time.

If you have filed an appeal and are waiting for the results, you have been given credit for the claiming weeks shown below.

If you have not filed for an appeal, an agent will need to review your claim before your benefit payment can be processed. Upon review, we may need to contact you for additional information. This may take several days."

What does this mean?? My boss lied to unemployment two weeks ago saying I went back to work there. I never did! Could he be under investigation and this is why my unemployment is being held up? Why would I be held up? I haven't even received anything in the mail from the unemployment office. Please help, I've never been in this situation before. Thanks in advance. I'm really nervous about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Your claim is under investigation - as per this:
Quote:
If you have not filed for an appeal, an agent will need to review your claim before your benefit payment can be processed. Upon review, we may need to contact you for additional information. This may take several days."
Your employer has either contested the benefits or there are conflicting versions of the events, as you've cited. You may yet get a letter this week on the discrepancy.

Keep claiming. For now, all you can do is wait.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Your claim is under investigation - as per this:

Your employer has either contested the benefits or there are conflicting versions of the events, as you've cited. You may yet get a letter this week on the discrepancy.

Keep claiming. For now, all you can do is wait.
Would I get a quicker answer if I go directly to the unemployment office first thing Monday morning?

I was told he said to the unemployment office I went back to work with him Sept. 21st. This is what the claims agent told me two weeks ago. How can he still contest if he lied? He has the burden of proof, not me.

I'm so upset and confused about whats going on here

Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namistai076 View Post
Would I get a quicker answer if I go directly to the unemployment office first thing Monday morning?
No. Whomever you will speak with at the NJ office will NOT be the decisionmaker on your case. Your case needs to be investigated. Investigations do not happen overnight. NJ will most likely have a telephone interview with you at some point. NJ will contact you to set an appointment for this interview.

It is a process. You cannot do an end run around the process at this stage of the claim.
Quote:
I was told he said to the unemployment office I went back to work with him Sept. 21st. This is what the claims agent told me two weeks ago. How can he still contest if he lied? He has the burden of proof, not me. I'm so upset and confused about whats going on here
NJ needs to verify your story. Your employer will need to produce payroll records proving you are working for him. That takes time.

Think about it. You said one thing. Your employer said another. NJ now needs to determine who is being truthful. They need to investigate. You need to wait.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
No. Whomever you will speak with at the NJ office will NOT be the decisionmaker on your case. Your case needs to be investigated. Investigations do not happen overnight. NJ will most likely have a telephone interview with you at some point. NJ will contact you to set an appointment for this interview.

It is a process. You cannot do an end run around the process at this stage of the claim.

NJ needs to verify your story. Your employer will need to produce payroll records proving you are working for him. That takes time.

Think about it. You said one thing. Your employer said another. NJ now needs to determine who is being truthful. They need to investigate. You need to wait.
OK thank you very much. This is the first time I ever been through something like this after 10 1/2 years of working at my last job. I'm just nervous, I have bills to pay until I find a new job and I hope my boss doesn't screw me over.

What would they ask me to prove my side anyway? All the burden of proof would be on him though

Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
What would they ask me to prove my side anyway?
You've already filed a claim. Depending on what further lies he tells, the questions will vary. Document now the events as they happened. When and if the interview takes place, clearly explain what happened.
Quote:
All the burden of proof would be on him though
Not necessarily. Employers are given a lot of latitude. He may change his story and say he was 'confused' when he said you went back to work for him on 9/21. Then, he'll make up another story as to why you were let go. Hopefully, the interviewer will see through this based on his initial 'confusion', about your not being discharged.

It is not an easy process. Hopefully you get a savvy interviewer and your benefits are granted soon.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
You've already filed a claim. Depending on what further lies he tells, the questions will vary. Document now the events as they happened. When and if the interview takes place, clearly explain what happened.

Not necessarily. Employers are given a lot of latitude. He may change his story and say he was 'confused' when he said you went back to work for him on 9/21. Then, he'll make up another story as to why you were let go. Hopefully, the interviewer will see through this based on his initial 'confusion', about your not being discharged.

It is not an easy process. Hopefully you get a savvy interviewer and your benefits are granted soon.
Alright, thank you again, I hope this gets cleared up soon

Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 AM

Here's an update:

I called the unemployment office this morning. They processed my claim and said my former employer is still under investigation for the false claim he made about me going back to work for him Sept. 21st when I clearly didn't. I will still get my UI, but I have to call them instead of doing it online until the investigation is done. What a mess this is, I really hope they punish my former employer for lying and trouble he has caused for himself, what an idiot.

I'm thinking of going to a labor lawyer after the investigation is done.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM

Great!! Happy to hear they are keeping it simple and not making you jump through hoops. Hereafter your employer will be on their watch list. What a dummy. Keep us posted as things unfold.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 54,464 times
Default Unemployment

Question, i have gotten the same msg saying "benefits are not payable at this time". I have gotten 2 blue forms(BC-3C) in the mail this past week, basically on them is a list of all the 4 companies/employers I have worked for, and the amount i have made the total base weeks i can collect weekly benefit rate, maximum rate, and "FRD" which i learned is a first date to claim benefits on. So my main question is the company i worked for last i was discharged from, and i got a big blue letter saying unemployment instructions and appointment notice, and has a date time that i have a phone interview with a claims examiner and says resaon for appointment "you may have been separated for misconduct in connection with your work. When i was applying for the benefits i had to manually type in the last company i worked for b/c it wasn't on the BC-3C form, was that something i had to type in and let them know i worked for them? and Also will i still get U.I. benefits from the other 4 companies i worked for; and not this last company? Is this the reason for my phone interview to determine if im going to get additional benefits added on to the existing amount? I'm worried i might not get any benefits b/c of this, but i did work enough and qualify for the States quota from the previous 4 companies i worked for. Please get back to me anyone as soon as someone gets a chance I would greatly appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment