Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM

15 posts, read 28,996 times

Advertisements

Ok, Im so confused about the job bill, the federal tiers and EB?? Let's discuss to see how everyone else is viewing this and what are your thoughts on what is going to happen??
Ok, my understanding is, no one will be able to go into another Tier effective Jan ? 2012. I currently just started EB for 20 weeks so Im assuming I will be able to finish out my 20 weeks here in NC. However, my sister just got on Tier 2, after Jan ? 2012 she will not advance into a new tier if Job's bill is not passed, is that correct?? Will she be able to get EB?? Is there any information on 99'ers, Im sure its not?? Will 99er's get an extension pass EB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,632,591 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekenc View Post
Ok, my understanding is, no one will be able to go into another Tier effective Jan ? 2012.

True. Eligibility cutoff date for Tier 1 is December 24, 2011, Tiers II, III and IV is December 31, 2011.

I currently just started EB for 20 weeks so Im assuming I will be able to finish out my 20 weeks here in NC.

Only because you are in North Carolina which mandates EB payments with or without federal assistance. States with mandated EB are: Alaska, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington.

However, my sister just got on Tier 2, after Jan ? 2012 she will not advance into a new tier if Job's bill is not passed, is that correct??

Yes. Without further extension by Congress, there are no further Tier benefits for anyone in 2012 beyond the Tier they are currently exhausting at the end of the year.

Will she be able to get EB??

Depends on whether she is collecting from and residing in a state which mandates EB. Claiming and resident states must both be paying EB. States without mandated EB will cease paying EB in January regardless of remaining benefits. Some states will cease payments January 28, 2012. Most will stop paying EB January 7th or January 14th.

Is there any information on 99'ers, Im sure its not?? Will 99er's get an extension pass EB?

Extending the legislation into 2012 AND providing additional benefits for 99ers is a very big ask. At best, the present legislation might be extended without change. Some states have already reduced number of weeks state benefits can be paid and also reduced maximum benefits:
Quote:
NELP's analysis shows that in 2011, six states cut the maximum number of weeks that jobless workers can receive unemployment compensation to below 26 weeks, which has been the standard for all states for over 50 years.

Michigan, Missouri, and South Carolina cut unemployment to 20 weeks, Arkansas and Illinois reduced benefits to 25 weeks, and Florida dropped benefits to between 12 - 23 weeks, depending on the state's unemployment rate. Dates vary as to when the changes will go into effect, so it's important to check with your state unemployment office for details.

Some states have cut weekly unemployment benefit amounts or increased eligibility requirements. For example, the NELP reports that "Indiana changed the formula it uses to calculate weekly benefit amounts so that the average unemployment check will drop from $283 to $220 a week." and

"Starting in August, claimants in Florida must take a 45-question online skills-assessment before they can receive a first payment, and then must provide documentation that they have contacted at least five employers for each week they file for benefits."

Cuts in Unemployment Benefits 2011

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-17-2011 at 02:18 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 02:39 PM

165 posts, read 431,160 times
On this topic of unemployment beyond 2011, I recently signed a petition to Congress from unemployedworkers.org to ask Congress to renew federal unemployment insurance through 2012. Does anyone know the status of this issue or any updates as of yet? Is Diorgirl out there to help please?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:16 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,367,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalabear View Post
On this topic of unemployment beyond 2011, I recently signed a petition to Congress from unemployedworkers.org to ask Congress to renew federal unemployment insurance through 2012. Does anyone know the status of this issue or any updates as of yet? Is Diorgirl out there to help please?
Problem is, only half of the 14M unemployed are receiving benefits now. That's based on the official rate. If you like to count part-time and discouraged workers, it's well below half. Another year of 99 weeks wouldn't do anything for them. The 99-week approach was a nice try, but the law of diminishing returns has set in. Layoffs today are not that excessive, especially compared to 2009 levels when the 99-week benefit made sense as a reasonable way to react to a major recession.

I think some extended phase-out of benefits in 2012 is likely, but with 3Q GDP growth back up to 2.5% and good prospects for a decent Oct employment report next week, the 99-week thing is over.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,238 times
After my 52 weeks are exhausted do I still get the remain 11 weeks of federal extension? I am in Indiana. The extension is supposed to go 27-63 weeks.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:42 PM

25,600 posts, read 56,632,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre62 View Post
After my 52 weeks are exhausted do I still get the remain 11 weeks of federal extension? I am in Indiana. The extension is supposed to go 27-63 weeks.
Yes, you will receive the remaining 11 weeks. Contact Indiana to recertify your claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment