Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 04:55 PM

115 posts, read 226,157 times

Advertisements

I made a couple of posts here today maybe under "can you move out of state and still collect" and "unemployment info I am sharing", something like that.

Just re-reading them makes me outraged, I am grateful for unemployment benefits and know first hand how easy it is to take advantage of them when I can. I know plenty of people that do not look for work while on the benefits and plenty that do.

I walk on both sides of the fence as to weather or not it is helpful. I say this for many reasons.

In my multitudes of experience with unemployment, I find we are paying a large cost for employees in those departments that we should not be paying for. In the last four years I have visited many offices in a couple of states and each time I go in, there are several employee's standing there doing nothing, they are not on break, they are just b.s ing right up front, they are not counseling or helping anyone.

I went there recently to ask about retraining programs and the guy told me that if I did not know what I wanted to do, how could he help me find retraining. My response was "wow, I can do your job" he gave me one hell of a dirty look but I told him, he is a government employee with a job at the unemployment office which is designed to help people find jobs and his salary is paid for by tax money from one source or another,( the government does not make money on their own) for so he should do his job. At that point he became much more helpful and actually explained what I needed to do to get some further education. I did my part, proved the certificate I wanted would help and got them to pay for it.

Also, I have mentioned in my other post that it is very possible to use losing your residence as a valid reason to quit a job as long as you tell your employer you lost your place and have to move away from the area and tell the unemployment the same thing and you actually do it. My son has done this in a couple of states, the most recent being California, he was not lying, it did happen that way. He was able to collect 480.00 per week for 99 weeks, looked for a job once but most of them only paid 9.00 per hour so it did not make sense to even try to get off unemployment. For 79 weeks he never had to list a work search unless the box was checked on the form, it never was, the final 20 weeks were required to have job search listed, he just wrote down three jobs off Craigslist, nothing was ever verified. Again, our tax dollars hard at work.

I collect unemployment now and hope they extend for next year, I am looking for work because they will expire in Feb and because I get terribly bored not working. I am fortunate in that I can live off of very little income and have no debt so if it is extended, I might or might not look for work, at the moment, no one will verify if I do or don't. If the gov allows extensions to continue but puts some stipulations on it, such as retraining or? I think it may take a very long time to implement and I doubt most of the unemployment offices will be able to get any one of the workers to actually do the job.

We voted for the people that made all the rules. Well someone did anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 07:52 AM

804 posts, read 1,959,181 times
Glad to hear you stood up for yourself when inquiring about the training programs. Which state was that in? Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment