Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 PM

162 posts, read 886,469 times

Advertisements

I see all of these 'friends' on facebook getting new jobs (they are not unemployed). I have been searching, interviewing, rewrote my resume 5 times, went to a career coach, put in resumes to email addresses listed as contacts on the website, temp agencies, school job counseling etc. Yet I can't get hired...is there something wrong with me? I just want to cry!! I had an awesome track record at my old job, had tons of responsibilities and busted my butt and for what...to be #2 for all of these jobs? #2 doesn't pay my bills. Then I see these people already gainfully employed breezing in and grabbing jobs. It just makes me SO MUCH more frustrated...it also makes me wonder even more "what's wrong with me?"...I'm a good person with strong morals, hard working, easily learn new things and intelligent. Then I see these people dumb as a peacock landing these killer jobs. My morale and self-pity are kicking in badly now. What else can I do....I'm slowly hitting a dark depression.

Thanks in advance for listening to my rant. I'm just lost anymore. My kids want their "old mom" back and I just don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
I know exactly how you feel but as long as you are trying to find a job you are doing all you can at this point. It is said that it is easier to find a job when you have one but there are near 20 million people in the US without a job today so this has to change at some point or this country is in big trouble. Leave no stone unturned...even if it is not exactly what you imagine you would be doing there is a job somewhere with your name on it.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:23 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
I also want to encourage you to keep on trying and not give up. When I was unemployed, I sharpened my writing skills and made extra money working on Mturk.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 AM

100 posts, read 339,984 times
Facebook spies on you. I've deleted my account already. I hope others do too.

DISLIKE: Logging out won't stop Facebook spying on you | Information, Gadgets, Mobile Phones News & Reviews | News.com.au

Besides, many people LIE to make themselves look/feel better. Don't let it bring you down.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
I understand, but I agree with motherleeds2011 people do lie.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 PM

475 posts, read 1,370,966 times
I would not use facebook as yet another way to indict the self. It serves no purpose to your future unless one of these braggers was a useful connection. I personally don't know anyone who does that so maybe you have very competitive friends? If so, I might be inclined to start ignoring a few feeds from them or unfriending a few.

Find the activities which can sustain you daily, especially exercise and diet along with familiy routine.
Try to find a group of network support; around here most are at churches and I'm not involved but it might be something to look into where you are.
This time will be peaks and valley's and I've been there. I'm levelling out right before the holidays.
I'm concerned about January, post celebrations.
Nothing much feels worth celebrating these days for sure.
But I don't think this should make us lose friends, it just might be put on hold.
You'll eventually get back.

Last edited by peet111; 11-21-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 05:03 PM

213 posts, read 1,107,372 times
My advice is to get off of Facebook. Seriously. Logging into facebook can make you feel like crap and then you start comparing yourself with other "friends." Not good. Most of the stuff on facebook is pretentious BS. People try to make themselves appear better than they are. Trust me, it will do good to just not log on to it. You can either delete your profile or you can take it down temporarily.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:23 PM

856 posts, read 2,015,379 times
I agree with the above comment about Facebook...people don't tend to make every status about their depression but only comment on the good aspects of their life. It doesn't have to be about unemployment if you're single and people are talking about their happy relationships the same emotions apply.

I will however encourage you to build your LinkedIn profile and connect with colleagues you worked well with. Maybe you want to find form HR personnel from your old job who may have left during the years you were there, if you're submitting resumes at the companies they work at it may give you an edge. Do you have anyone at your former employer who "keeps you in the loop?"

Recently I found out my former employer let some more people go so I touched base with them; added them on LinkedIn. I was in the same state as you...ready to scream! One of the people I touched base with was touching base with another friend and connected the two of us. I got a weird message on LinkedIn from the other friends' employer and now I work there. I kept seeing all these posts about the "gray market"...every time I saw it I wanted to scream my freakin' head off in disbelief...however I am a gray market success story.

Point blank...Facebook is for talking about the good times (like bumping into an ex or old high school pal...you never mention the F you got in chemistry or how you broke up)...LinkedIn and getting out into some coffee shops, lunch shops, etc. where professionals can be found is the way to go.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:00 PM

162 posts, read 886,469 times
Thanks guys! It's great advice to not go on there. And I won't for the time being. I need to focus on myself and family and get out every day and network and hit the pavement. I will concentrate more on LinkedIn and keep my fingers crossed. I guess going on facebook was just another way of "beating myself up". It's easy to be your hardest critic and looking at other people living the life you once had (or potray it) only makes me miss what once was even if it's greater in your remembrance than living it!!! Time to quit looking over my shoulder on the past, that chapter is closed and time to look forward to the future. There is something for me out there and I won't find it if I'm dwelling in my own mess. And just to add, reading some of these posts on this forum have been a great help to me. Not that I like to see anyone down like this, but it's comforting to know that there are people out there that are going through the same things and people out there that have broken free from it. It gives me great hope!!
Thanks again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment