Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:11 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,214 times

Advertisements

Many employers now are refusing to even accept applications from those out of work. This must be very discouraging.

The practice first came to light last year, when it was reported that mobile phone manufacturer Sony Ericsson had added "No unemployed candidates will be considered at all" language to a job posting at its Atlanta headquarters. Since then, the practice appears to have spread.

Job openings closed to the unemployed

Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
The unemployed are NOT a protected class.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Question from interviewer: Why are you leaving your current job?

Answer: Because I ran out of vacation days, interviewing for a new job while I was still employed.

---------------
Phone question from company trying to set up an interview:
We would like to set up a time to meet you in person, can you be here at 1PM next Thursday? Expect to be here 3-4 hours.

Answer: Can we do 4:30 PM Next Thursday? Because I am presently employed, I can only interview on weekends or after 4:30PM, or first thing in the morning as long as we are done by 8AM.
--------------------------------
Offer from company: We are excited to extend an offer to you for $X. Could you start next Monday

Answer: I am excited about the opportunity. I would like to consider it carefully. Can get back to you in 2 days with an answer?.....

2 days later: I am honored at the opportunity, but my current employer made me an offer I could not refuse, so I decided to stay in my current position.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:50 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Kind of funny. I was ready to leave a positon, so started to look at other positions while still employed. Had a couple interviews at a new place. . I was using up vacation time and all kinds of excuses to leave my current job for the interviews. It was very stressful having to leave work several times over a 2 week period, on short notice, to make yourself available for interviews. During that time, it was looking like an offer might be coming

I then realized I made a big mistake, because I DREADED going directly from one job, into the new job, with no time off in between. I treasure taking time off between jobs. It is part of my overall plan.

Did not get an offer from the place where I interviewed, and was very relieved, because I realized I needed time off before starting a new job.

So I resigned from the old job. Took a few months off of work. Then started to look for a new job. Took time to travel and to relax, in between jobs.

When it was time to job search again, it was very nice to have free time available to submit resumes, have time for phone interviews and in-person interviews. Have time to research companies, to be fully prepared for interviews because i was not consumed with a current job.

It is very difficult to job search and interview while employed. And it's no fun to go directly from one job to the next, without taking time off in between, or taking only 1 or 2 weeks off in between.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
There have been several threads on this, and the possible future laws to prevent discrimination against the unemployed, already passed in some states.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:42 PM

354 posts, read 855,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Many employers now are refusing to even accept applications from those out of work. This must be very discouraging.

The practice first came to light last year, when it was reported that mobile phone manufacturer Sony Ericsson had added "No unemployed candidates will be considered at all" language to a job posting at its Atlanta headquarters. Since then, the practice appears to have spread.

Job openings closed to the unemployed
I don't understand why any company would do this? I can see were it may look better if you are already employed because it is more likely that you really want to work for them instead of just desperate for a job. Still an employed person may be desperate to leave their current employer.

When I lived in Northern Virginia we had a lot of people that would move from other states because we paid very well and then leave after a year because of the quality of life issues in the area. Towards the end a lot of the jobs in our company stated must already be a resident of Northern Virginia. Maybe a similar situation is going on in these Unemployed Need Not Apply Jobs.

I have a theory that these no unemployed allowed jobs are really crappy. Maybe the unemployed are likely to better qualified and will leave when something better comes along. But who knows it just doesn't make any sense.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:05 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Certainly a stupid policy because the employed normally have the option of staying with the present employer. An unemployed candidate will usually accept and be available immediately.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Certainly a stupid policy because the employed normally have the option of staying with the present employer. An unemployed candidate will usually accept and be available immediately.
Agreed. it's nuts how people who are trying to fix their lives have this unnecessary roadblock put up too.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Unless these new hires are all part of some giant Chinese fire drill...
MOST of the spots vacated by these employed applicants will be opening up too.

Back to the OP:
Are these employers describing the job they want their applicants to have be at some high level?
Or will pretty much having any job be considered better than having no job at all?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
I worked for a company that did this. I wouldn't hire a person that sat home because they were collecting unemployment and were not out looking for a job.

The credit of a person that is not working may not be all that great. This same company fired people if their wages were garnished, and one paycheck would not cover it. They weren't going to put up with it for pay after pay.

When you are unemployed, you do not have a field. You take any job until something in your previous field opens up. Your degree means nothing if you lost a job with that degree and can't find another with that degree. Maybe someday in the future it will mean something again, but not now.

For a high level job you would recruit, not wait for a person to apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment