Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 PM

67 posts, read 393,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Happens all the time. In the event of multiple claims, benefits are paid as follows:

Claim 1 - 26 weeks state benefits
Claim 1 - Tier Benefits until new claim is established
Claim 2 - 26 weeks state benefits
Claim 1- Remaining Tier benefits from Claim 1
Claim 2 - Tier Benefits if claim qualifies
Claim 2 - EB
Claim 1 26 weeks (2007 claim)
Claim 1 Tier benefits until find new job

Claim 2 26 weeks (2011 claim)
Claim 1 remaining tier 4 benefits exhausted

Claim 2 tier benefits

Question..Claim 1 had a password to collect.. (on phone from 2007)

Claim 2 had a password to collect...(on phone from 2011)

To go from tier 4 of claim 1 and transition to Claim 2 tier 1...

Does a person use the original password of second (2011) claim when calling in on the phone after claim 1 tier 4 is used up... or does a person use the password used last time calling in tier 4 of 2007 claim?

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:01 PM

131 posts, read 352,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwel View Post
Claim 1 26 weeks (2007 claim)
Claim 1 Tier benefits until find new job

Claim 2 26 weeks (2011 claim)
Claim 1 remaining tier 4 benefits exhausted

Claim 2 tier benefits

Question..Claim 1 had a password to collect.. (on phone from 2007)

Claim 2 had a password to collect...(on phone from 2011)

To go from tier 4 of claim 1 and transition to Claim 2 tier 1...

Does a person use the original password of second (2011) claim when calling in on the phone after claim 1 tier 4 is used up... or does a person use the password used last time calling in tier 4 of 2007 claim?

Thanks in advance...

Your passwords were different? My password has always stayed the same. If yours are different I would suggest calling up and asking what you should do. What state are you in?

Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 PM

I'm sorry but all of this is very confusing..

Maybe I'm wrong and I don't have two passwords ...

I was using one password for what I thought was approximatley 26 weeks in 2011 ....and then....one day when filed on the phone ..I couldn't get it to work and the message said to call the unemployment office..

When I did...I answered whatever questions they asked and then they asked me to put in my password ..when I did ...it didn't work so they told me to put in a new password the next time I called in..

I followed their instructions and created a new password..

the next thing I saw my unemployment payments dropped a few dollars and thats when I saw it was the lower amount from tier 4 from years back..

So I assume just use the latest password that I used two weeks ago? while I was using up whatever was left in claim 1 tier 4?

Originally Posted by Ariadne22
Happens all the time. In the event of multiple claims, benefits are paid as follows:

Claim 1 - 26 weeks state benefits
Claim 1 - Tier Benefits until new claim is established
Claim 2 - 26 weeks state benefits
Claim 1- Remaining Tier benefits from Claim 1
Claim 2 - Tier Benefits if claim qualifies

From what I am reading on this forum ...this is the last tier benefits because tier 1 (20 weeks) of claim 2 expires after march 3, 2012 ...

Like many of you guys...I worked for decades and never collected unemployment..never been out of work ...This job market is really bad. Its been said...the job market is improving dramatically..... so hopefully as we enter the New Year....we'll all get job offers and no longer need assistance..

if thats the case I would like to mention and thank all those who so kindly answer all these questions..

Last edited by Maxwel; 01-02-2012 at 08:43 PM..

Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,236,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcd09 View Post
Yes, just wondered if there's some kind of time limit for applying for the extensions. Don't want to be told that I don't qualify because I waited too long.

I say this because I have heard some people say that they were questioned pretty heavily when they waited to apply for unemployment for a week or two after they were laid off.
You've answered your own question. Two different animals. Eligibility dates for exhaustion of benefits in order to transition to next tier/eb or preserve benefits on existing claim (all of which were answered above) are in no way related to filing for a new claim.

Some states query on late filing, others don't. Claimant could be on a trip, not performing work searches, using severance pay (depending on state), etc. As long as base wages exist to create eligibility, a claim should be approved. Although it is wise to call the state about this in the event they have some oddball rule.

Some states even list parameters under which a claim can be withdrawn in order to file later to increase base period wages. Actually states this on their website. We are now OT.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:36 PM

Ariadne22,

I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for your guidance to so many in this very difficult time so many of us are having in this terrible economy.

Your a wonderful person to offer so much insight. I've read many of your posts and found them to be quite helpful.

Hopefully in 2012 the job market will continue to improve as they are stating on the news lately and with an election year we might actually see a nice turnaround.

Happy new year and know you have assisted many people who are in need.

I'm not an overly religious person but god bless.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 PM

Thx. I need blessings, too.

Fwiw, your password is tied to your SS number or other identifier used by your state, and should have nothing to do with identifying your 2007 or 2011 claims. However, anything is possible, I suppose. Since you have/will have exhausted 2007 Tier 4, better call your state when it's time to transition to Tier 1 from your 2011 claim just to be sure everything is on track.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 PM

I believe I am supposed to transition this week to claim 2 tier 1 when I call wednesday.

My tier 4 (old original claim from 2007) which was just 6 weeks and is gone ..so now I believe from reading on this forum....I now enter Claim 2 tier one for the past two weeks and the next 18(unless I find a new job) which will bring me past march 3rd and unemployment is over after that with the new legislation as I've read it on these forums.

This has been a very difficult ride for so many hardworking americans that have never been out of work before the economic meltdown. Now the employers are not too interested in many people if they have been out of work which is quite bizarre if you ask me.

I have mentioned this before but I really believe the federal, state or local goverments should have offered people on unemployment temporary jobs for say 20 weeks of work after the 26 weeks of unemployment...at the same pay as unemployement so we could show future employers we are hardworking and capable of doing anything.

None of us realize how much of our self esteem is tied to what we do for a living and to lose that is a very hard thing ...

Its important to oneself to be a productive member of society. Its important to be proud of what you do. Sorry to go off on a tangent..

I just wanted to make sure to say thank you to you. You really do make a HUGE difference for so many of us as we try and navigate our families through this challenging time.

I am hoping to recieve some type of guidance in the mail tommorow from the unemployment office........otherwise I will follow up with the unemployment office wednesday.

I believe for some reason approximately 8 weeks back... I must have been typing in the wrong password on the phone when I called in to Unemployment office as I couldn't successfully file the claim... and so the unemployment workers when I spoke to them.....told me to create a new password the next time I phoned in..which I did and everything worked fine.........

From previous statements read on this forum.....I was under the assumption the transition to claim 2 tier 1 .......would be automatic after both the claim 2 - 26 week state and then the completed 6 weeks of tier 4 of claim one were finished... as long as an individual was still under the benefit year end date? I was hoping the two recent holidays just slowed down the mail.

Are you suggesting I not call the claim in first to see if the claim goes through?

I'm learning from many of your previous statements...

This is quite intricate in the manner all this works.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwel View Post
From previous statements read on this forum.....I was under the assumption the transition to claim 2 tier 1 .......would be automatic after both the claim 2 - 26 week state and then the completed 6 weeks of tier 4 of claim one were finished... as long as an individual was still under the benefit year end date? I was hoping the two recent holidays just slowed down the mail.

Are you suggesting I not call the claim in first to see if the claim goes through?
It should be automatic, based on your previous experience. However, nothing is absolute in the UE world. Claim as you usually do. Always keep claiming. If you receive an odd message or don't receive payment as usual, of course, call your UE office to check the status of your claim.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 PM

131 posts, read 352,005 times
Just wanted to say that I got things straightened out finally, and am currently on my last week of Tier 3 from my '08 claim

Once that is over they said Tier 4 would kick in automatically with 5.7 weeks which would mean I would exhaust it on 2/24 and certify for my last check on 2/27, so that should mean I would still be able to then go to Tier 1 on my newest '11 claim then right?

Sorry, I just like to be sure, lol.

Thanks for all your help and research!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcd09 View Post
Just wanted to say that I got things straightened out finally, and am currently on my last week of Tier 3 from my '08 claim

Once that is over they said Tier 4 would kick in automatically with 5.7 weeks which would mean I would exhaust it on 2/24 and certify for my last check on 2/27, so that should mean I would still be able to then go to Tier 1 on my newest '11 claim then right?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment