Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

No problem. I knew what your point was, and its spot on. Too many think point and click/submit alone will bring about employment. That is extremely unlikely to work.

The ease with which folks can submit resumes means where 50 once applied, 500 are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 04:06 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No problem. I knew what your point was, and its spot on. Too many think point and click/submit alone will bring about employment. That is extremely unlikely to work.

The ease with which folks can submit resumes means where 50 once applied, 500 are now.
I agree which is why clicking 50 times a day doesn't mean much

Old 02-16-2012, 07:06 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,345 times
Quote:

Yeah... getting a job today definitely requires an aggressive approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You made it happen, you made it happen, ok we get it. So how many times are you going to post it? You are really proud of yourself I see
Yeah, I am.

A year ago I was eating Ramen noodles every night debating on whether to pay the car payment next week or just skip it this month so I could make sure the rent was paid and I had a tank of gas.

Been there, done that, and I hope all of you get jobs soon.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 PM

TRC2K11, You should be proud of it. Getting converted to a permanent employee means management viewed your performance as unusually good. The reality is, with 15 million or so unemployed, one cannot be ordinary, and expect to do well. The bar has been raised, corps can and are pickier than in years past, so we should be applauding those who did something to stand out from the pack, be it relocating for opportunity, learning a new, marketable skill/field, whatever it takes.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM

I have not seen it on every board. I have seen it posted in the employment board, which is where it belongs. I have yet to see any other poster have any issues with sharing his terrific news.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
TRC2K11, You should be proud of it. Getting converted to a permanent employee means management viewed your performance as unusually good. The reality is, with 15 million or so unemployed, one cannot be ordinary, and expect to do well. The bar has been raised, corps can and are pickier than in years past, so we should be applauding those who did something to stand out from the pack, be it relocating for opportunity, learning a new, marketable skill/field, whatever it takes.
Absolutely, and thanks again. For the first time in a long time I am living stress free.

Every time I think about what I did, which was leave Georgia for Washington for a temp job, no relocation pay, knowing damn good and well I had to make the job work because I had no other options. I couldn't go back on unemployment if I failed nor could I just up and move back to Georgia.

It was an extremely tough decision, and I remember asking myself "Ok, you have 2-3 months left of unemployment with no job offers in sight... do you stay here or do you move cross country and take this job?"

As it turned out I made the right choice. I am very happy here. It's a beautiful place to live. The job promotion to permanent in October was definitely the highlight of 2011.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
All that is true but he doesn't have to post it in every thread on the board. It was almost like he was bragging about it
Nah man, I'm not bragging about it. I'm simply trying to illustrate that in an economy where all you hear about are bad things happening to good people that GOOD things CAN happen.

Quote:
I have not seen it on every board. I have seen it posted in the employment board, which is where it belongs. I have yet to see any other poster have any issues with sharing his terrific news.
Thanks again Bob.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 PM

TVSG"And I have no job, broke, and my VCR just died and no call backs"

20 minutes ago, you wrote your intent was ro renew a lease for another year. Insanity is doing the same thing again and again, expecting different results. Why lock into a one year liability with the info you just posted? I'm assuming you cannot save more, either on ui, nor from your last job.

Make something happen, but there is no need to rain on someones' parade, who truly has something to brag about.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
And I have no job, broke, and my VCR just died and no call backs.
Yep... and a year ago at this time I was 2 months behind on my car payment, 3 months behind on my credit card payment, 1 month behind on rent eating Ramen noodles 3 times a day.

$330 a week goes a long way... thank you Georgia.

I know it sucks man... I've been there. Stay focused and don't take the easy way out by giving up. Things will get better.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:13 PM

261 posts, read 497,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I may be too blunt but if you keep losing your job, it has nothing to do with luck but every bit to do with YOU. You just simply don't know how to work.

You are not alone though. About 80% of people don't know how to work. A simple question would tell.

What is your real job? If you are an engineer, receptionist, programmer, account, doesn't matter, what is your real job?

If you don't the correct answer, then you just don't know how to work. Simple as that. :-)
I'm not sure what you are asking. What is your real job? Are you referring to one's current role and one's current company or are you referring to one's career or one's priority in life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment