U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:05 PM

14 posts, read 65,251 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

Please help if you can. I was laid off from my job on January 2011 and can no longer continue paying my rent after April. The rentals around here are very expensive and I can't swing it without having a job, my unemployment is not enough to make ends meet.

I was recently offered low cost living accomodations of no rent by one of my friends who is a widowed member of my church and lives in NY but also owns a home in Florida in exchange for maintaining the place.

The place is in a safe area and close to transit. It has 2 bedrooms and I would have the master bedroom and private bathroom to live alone and when she comes to Florida, she still have a place to snowbird in.

I would just be responsible for all of the bills and my food and feel I can swing this on my current unemployment while I look for work. In NY, I was told I am eligible to continue receiving benefits until October 2012 if I can't find a job.

This is the first time I have had to live like this without a job. I am not sure what the unemployment rules are in Florida and need feedback before making a decision as this is a big move for me.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:45 PM

24,603 posts, read 53,328,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden2012 View Post
In NY, I was told I am eligible to continue receiving benefits until October 2012 if I can't find a job.

This is the first time I have had to live like this without a job. I am not sure what the unemployment rules are in Florida
You can continue to collect from NY for as long as your NY benefits last even though you are living in FL. Notify NY of your new address before you move. NY does not like to find out about moves to another state after the fact. FL unemployment laws would not affect you in any way.

You've been collecting NY benefits since January 2011, which is approximately 62 weeks. If you are still on your original claim, I assume you are somewhere on Tier III right now, with probably about 11 weeks left. NY is no longer paying Tier 4. NY is projected to trigger off EB on May 12. Therefore, when you exhaust Tier III on or about May 26, your benefits from NY will end.

Do you know how many weeks you've collected? Have you been working part-time, extending the period of time over which benefits are paid?

The October 12 date you've been given does not compute - unless you've had multiple claims or have been working part-time.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-19-2012 at 07:12 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 PM

17,816 posts, read 23,962,492 times
As Ariadne22 said this has nothing to do with FL unemployment, and be thankful for that as FL pays out one of the lowest claims in the nation and Gov. Rick Scott is trying to reduce benefits down to 12 weeks.

It doesn't sound like a bad deal, but keep in mind in FL you will be running the A/C 24/7. So you're looking at triple digit electric bills even for a two bedroom house. You're looking at around at least $200 a month. More if she has a pool.

A lot of people get sticker shock when they move to FL and forget about the A/C. It's already in the mid 80s.

The other thing is I would ask for something in writing, you don't to find out you're housesitting and come Oct/Nov when the snowbirds come back that she may not want you there anymore.

You don't want to find yourself in FL, your UE running out, and then get told she prefers to be by herself.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM

I don't think her benefits are going beyond May - unless there is more to the picture than appeared in her post. So, she'll be out of money when temps go to 100 degrees and she needs the A/C round the clock.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 PM

I don't know but I find this very confusing. Some nice person was kind enough to email me this chart that they found on the NY state unemployment website saying that I should be able to collect 73 weeks if I can't find a job. Keeping my fingers crossed that I do find work in the meantime and will stay put for now unless I get an eviction.

*OC effective date Dec 13, 2010 - July 4th, 201126 weeks of regular UI 20 weeks of EUC - Tier 1 13 weeks of EUC - Tier 2 14 weeks of EUC (13 weeks Tier 3 and 1 week Tier 2) 73 weeks total

Old 03-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden2012 View Post
I don't know but I find this very confusing. Some nice person was kind enough to email me this chart that they found on the NY state unemployment website saying that I should be able to collect 73 weeks if I can't find a job. Keeping my fingers crossed that I do find work in the meantime and will stay put for now unless I get an eviction.

*OC effective date Dec 13, 2010 - July 4th, 201126 weeks of regular UI 20 weeks of EUC - Tier 1 13 weeks of EUC - Tier 2 14 weeks of EUC (13 weeks Tier 3 and 1 week Tier 2) 73 weeks total
This is can be misleading if you do not understand the UE program. The information you received lists potential maximum benefits for per claim - last year.

It does not mean that anyone currently collecting, no matter how much they've collected so far, can still receive 73 weeks.

They CANNOT.

You have already collected at least 62 weeks, as follows:

26 weeks State Benefits
20 weeks Tier 1
14 weeks Tier II
02 weeks Tier III (out of maximum 13 weeks)
62 weeks collected to date

NY state is no longer paying Tier IV and will be triggering off EB on May 12th.

Thus, your benefits end when you have exhausted Tier III around the end of May.

Please read the entire FAQS thread. It may help you better understand what has been happening with the UE program since December.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...ment-faqs.html

The only way you could collect again is if you had new earnings which created eligibility for a new claim.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:00 AM

You are all very kind to take the time and explain this to me so I can make an educated decision regarding the move. Thank you very much.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 PM

878 posts, read 1,572,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
As Ariadne22 said this has nothing to do with FL unemployment, and be thankful for that as FL pays out one of the lowest claims in the nation and Gov. Rick Scott is trying to reduce benefits down to 12 weeks.

It doesn't sound like a bad deal, but keep in mind in FL you will be running the A/C 24/7. So you're looking at triple digit electric bills even for a two bedroom house. You're looking at around at least $200 a month. More if she has a pool.

A lot of people get sticker shock when they move to FL and forget about the A/C. It's already in the mid 80s.

The other thing is I would ask for something in writing, you don't to find out you're housesitting and come Oct/Nov when the snowbirds come back that she may not want you there anymore.

You don't want to find yourself in FL, your UE running out, and then get told she prefers to be by herself.

Totally agree. Beware of high utility costs that are unaffordable on a UI check.

@JMT,

Please don't delete my posts calling them "off-topic" when they are 100% relevant to the topic. The A/C bills ARE high down there... and the OP needs to know that and budget accordingly.

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 PM

17,816 posts, read 23,962,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Totally agree. Beware of high utility costs that are unaffordable on a UI check.

@JMT,

Please don't delete my posts calling them "off-topic" when they are 100% relevant to the topic. The A/C bills ARE high down there... and the OP needs to know that and budget accordingly.

Thanks.
Exactly, this board is set up to help people and give advice. Letting someone know who isn't familar with the high cost of utilities in an area is important.

The OP is thinking free rent, my UE checks will last longer down there.

Not taking into account that one whole UE check might very well go to the monthly electric bill.

Let's try and help each other. If you go to the FL boards there are often threads on people who are suffering from shock when they get their first electric bill. And these are people who have jobs.

I would hate for the OP or anyone else to find out the hard way that a good portion of their money is going to pay for A/C, and it's not an option in FL, you would die from heat stroke most of the year without it.

Please don't delete, they need to know.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 AM

I moved to Florida in June and could not find any kind of work, I applied to anything I could find even jobs paying minimum wage. Then a friend told me NY reinstated EB. I applied for benefits the week 9/23/12 and got 2 payments and moved back to NY 10/1/2012. I reported the move via telephone and also email and was told continue to claim benefits. When I call to do so, it doesn't give me that option and when I try to log online to do the same, I am not offered that option.

I called NY and was told that even though I moved back to NY, I was not entitled to more than 2 weeks because since I left the state, it doesn't matter now that I move back. I want to ask if anyone on here has any type of information regarding this matter. Thank you in advance. Very stressed and depressed, feel like a bum when I used to feel like a contributing member of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment