U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:47 AM

13 posts, read 24,774 times

Advertisements

Eligibility for Unemployment Insurance Benefits
employee’s need to accompany her spouse when he receives a new job in a different part of the state
or
Domestic or sexual violence as “good cause”: Many states now recognize that an employee who
is a victim of domestic violence has “good cause” to quit her job when she does so to protect
herself, her family, or her co-workers. A few of these state laws also explicitly apply to sexual assault
or stalking victims; some other states laws have definitions of “domestic violence” that are broad
enough to cover sexual assault or stalking. As of January 2005, the following states have passed laws
that expressly make victims of domestic violence who have quit their jobs due to domestic violence
eligible for unemployment compensation in certain circumstances:
• Arizona • California • Colorado • Connecticut
• Delaware • District of Columbia • Illinois • Indiana
• Kansas • Maine • Massachusetts • Minnesota
• Montana • Nebraska • New Hampshire • New Jersey
• New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • Oklahoma
• Oregon • Rhode Island • South Dakota • Texas
• Washington • Wisconsin • Wyoming
For more information on the laws in these states (and to determine whether additional states may
have passed relevant laws), see Legal Momentum’s state law guide “Unemployment Insurance
Benefits,” which is available at
http://www.legalmomentum.org/html/is...OMENTUM-UI.pdf and is frequently
updated.

***That statement above is what I put in my appeal and victims crime compensation organization agreed that although I wasn't the victim, my 12 year old daughter is the victim which is considered legally "ME"......they even helped us with relocation fees, so I'm just hoping the best! Thanks for all the input, only time will tell!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 08:46 AM

11,579 posts, read 16,663,518 times
You are using information from web sites that are not quoting the LAWs of the states, just generic information!

from what you have quoted:
"make victims of domestic violence who have quit their jobs due to domestic violence
eligible for unemployment compensation in certain circumstances"

Here is what you need to be reading as this is what will be applied:
NJ SAFE ACT - Unemployment

It is not an absolute right in NJ and is a case-by-case hearing for the claimant and requires a special action if the victim isn't the claimant but a residing family member. If it was an absolute right the governors office would have instructed them to give you benefits instead of just asking to expedite the appeal hearing. But since there is no law that automatically says you get it, all the Governor of your state could do is ask them to speed up any hearing.

May I suggest you get COMPETENT legal advice because it sounds like your just working with some support group who did not give you the full story on how this works. Anyways, Good luck and just ride it out until it reaches the level where an executive action can be applied. Hopefully the ALJ was given the exception regulations for the extraordinary circumstances outside the basis of traditional determination and will rule with that in mind.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
Eligibility for Unemployment Insurance Benefits: (copied from post above)
__employee’s need to accompany her spouse when he receives a new job in a different part of the state

After 19 years with my employer, I resigned to accompany my spouse to a new job out of state (NJ>CA). My claim still says pended after my interview. My employer is aware of my claim and will not challenge or deny my claim. Wondering if I will get UI benefits from New Jersey for this "good cause" reason?

Old 08-31-2016, 12:08 PM

14,508 posts, read 27,859,704 times
http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...onmonetary.pdf from page 5-6, only if your husband is in the military and got transferred.

You should have come here BEFORE you quit your job. You might have qualified under a different theory. However, UI is based on the reason you quit at the time you quit. You can't take back what you told your employer, put in your letter of resignation, put on your UI application or said to the interviewer. Your story is now locked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffsmom7 View Post
My employer is aware of my claim and will not challenge or deny my claim.
This is meaningless. Your employer has no control over whether you get UI. If the employer was really not going to contest, you should have told the UI people that you were fired. Then you'd have really seen if your employer was going to contest or not.

Once you put "quit" on the UI application, or hand your employer a letter of resignation, the burden is on you, and your employer doesn't have to do a thing except maybe send in your letter of resignation if you try to tell the UI people you were "laid off" or were "fired."

Old 08-31-2016, 10:35 PM

24,037 posts, read 51,896,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffsmom7 View Post
Eligibility for Unemployment Insurance Benefits: (copied from post above)
__employee’s need to accompany her spouse when he receives a new job in a different part of the state

After 19 years with my employer, I resigned to accompany my spouse to a new job out of state (NJ>CA). My claim still says pended after my interview. My employer is aware of my claim and will not challenge or deny my claim. Wondering if I will get UI benefits from New Jersey for this "good cause" reason?
From which post did you copy that text??

Trailing spouse benefits are state-specific.

This is what NJ says:
Quote:
Quit

If you voluntarily quit your job without "good cause connected with the work," or if you voluntarily retire, you may be disqualified for benefits. "Good cause connected with the work," means that your reason for leaving must be directly related to your job and be so compelling that you had no choice but to leave the job. For example, a person quits work to move out of the area. While this is a good personal reason to quit, the reason for quitting is not connected with the work and the person would be disqualified.

There are exceptions to this disqualification. One exception may apply when the separation was related to or due to domestic violence. Another exception may apply when a spouse or civil union partner of an active military member leaves work to move with the military member who is transferred outside of the state.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Requirements for Payment<br>Quit
Unless your spouse is taking a military transfer, there is no trailing spouse benefit in NJ.

Second, employer not contesting trailing spouse is irrelevant. Trailing spouse is a state-mandated benefit and not charged to the employer. Employer has no dog in that hunt.

Expect a denial. This is not appealable unless you can dig up some extenuating good cause quit to plead at appeal. Good luck w/NJ on that.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,276 times
Ive tried to finish my claim and I can't get in touch with them....the phone numbers are always not takin no calls...how am I gonna receive my unemployment if I cant talk to a agent! I already did the application online....what to do?

Old 12-06-2016, 08:07 PM

Usually, doing the application on line is sufficient to get started. WHY do you have to talk to someone? What's wrong that you need a UI worker at this point in the process?

Old 02-27-2017, 09:25 PM

6 posts, read 42,320 times
Can someone help me with this? I got my first 5 week's worth of NJUI claims beginning of Feb. I kept filing every week, but haven't received any in the last 4 weeks. Today I see my "claim has been pended" and I should give the office a call. No appointment notice has been sent, just call them. Is this a normal procedure for the state to see how my job search has been going?

Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 PM

Could be anything, like, you know, remember when you said "financial reasons"? Could be the employer is changing their story. I told you this process isn't pleasant.

NJ doesn't check on your job search that way, so I know that's not it. When they want to look at your job search, they send you a letter and schedule you for a cattle call.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 AM

10 posts, read 6,935 times
How can my enoyploment claim in new Jersey say pended without a phone interview?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment