Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 05:05 PM

105 posts, read 603,273 times

Advertisements

I was on unemployment for 2 months and was offered a new position. I started this new position 1 1/2 weeks ago and reported it to unemployment yesterday. The job is way over my head with work load, the demands and the management uses bullying tactics. I feel like I am physically getting sick from the stress.

Can anyone give me feedback on whether unemployment would allow me to reopen my claim if I left the job or do I have to be fired. I feel like I am not qualified for this environment and I am drowning. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
I believe you would need to let go by this current company. If it is as bad as you say then they will let you go for not being able to meed the demands of the job.

But are you sure you're not getting ahead of yourself? You're kind of rushing to judgement in a only a week and a half, new jobs take time and you may find things start to "gel" and fall into place.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:38 PM

I've been told they do not let people go. It is a very large corporation and the particular place I work at is very troubled. I already know several people that recently started over the last month and they are looking to leave as well. As I said, I feel physically sick from the stress. Any reasons for leaving voluntarily that are acceptable to reopen a claim?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
A quit is always problematic. Under the UC code of most states, you have a duty to attempt to preserve the employment relationship. You might have good cause if the job you are performing is not the job for which you were hired. A toxic environment with abusive superiors which causes you physical distress is not considered good cause. Of course, you can visit doctors, get medication, cite stress, quit, reapply and expect to appeal. NJ is very backlogged. You will be many months without benefits.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceful2 View Post
I've been told they do not let people go. It is a very large corporation and the particular place I work at is very troubled. I already know several people that recently started over the last month and they are looking to leave as well. As I said, I feel physically sick from the stress. Any reasons for leaving voluntarily that are acceptable to reopen a claim?
Well that doesn't make any sense. If someone is screwing up and costing the company time and money, they're going to be let go.

Because there are 100 people behind you who want the job.

Whether it's the receptionist who can't transfer calls properly to the accountant who is making costly mistakes, if you're not doing the job and causing additional work due to someone having to go back and correct problems or losing business($$$$), then that person will be out the door.

I really don't think a week and half is enough time to give up on a job.

Years ago I was hired for a job that I really didn't have a strong background in, on my first day I was informed my boss was going to be out on disability for at least a month.

It was very stressful and I made a lot of mistakes and learned as I went along with not too much help. I thought about quiting(and there was no unemployment to go back to) as like you I went home feeling stressed every night and asking myself "what have you gottten yourself into?".

But it got better as time went on, and I stayed there 5 yrs. I ended up getting promoted after the first year, I believe mostly because the director of the dept. knew I came into the job under difficult circumstances.

Only you know your situation and what your stress level is, but IMO you should give it more time.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,027 times
I would just take it easy and do what u can.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM

Thank-you all for your responses. I appreciate your input. Need to regroup and consider working this position at my own pace. I agree that leaving on my own would be problematic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment