U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,111 times

Advertisements

I'm a professional, and due to the nature of my field, I legitimately can present my resume as still being in a position -- it's a volunteer position that actually continues the work from my last paid position -- but it's legit and very common to do something like this in my field. So I don't have a gap in my resume, and prospective employers don't know I'm unemployed by looking at my resume. Now, maybe some companies I'm applying to will figure out on their own that my current position doesn't currently pay me, but I doubt that most would ... unless my EDD calls them up the week after I applied to verify that I submitted an application!!

This week, my state unemployment department is implementing a requirement that you actually enter your three best work contacts from each week in the online weekly reporting. Prior to this, they told us to keep a log, but I think it was one of those deals where they only randomly check people's log and you get a letter telling you to report in. I've never been randomly checked, and I was guessing that I probably would not end up being randomly checked. Also, if I were randomly checked, I'd know about it and have a chance to decide whether I should do something like call the positions that I was still a candidate for and give them a courtesy heads up that EDD may be contacting them. So I haven't worried about the above scenario until now.

Has anyone else worried about this or actually experienced it?

Do the EDD's do anything to be sensitive to this? Like will they wait a few months before checking on your entries? I don't really understand all the ways of the beureacratic EDD, so I don't know whether my fear of them calling the company and ruining my chances before I've even been considered is real.

I'm thinking about reporting my three *worst* contacts, not my three best contacts. All of the applications I submit are a good match for me, but some are obviously better than others -- like some are my giddy dream jobs or I feel like I hit not only all the basic qualifications but also all of the desired/preferred qualifications; whereas, other jobs are just plain old good jobs or I don't meet every single item the employer is looking for ideally, but I'm still a great candidate and feel like I could get it. I'm thinking about submitting these so that EDD won't have a chance to **** up my chances at my dream jobs. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 02:39 PM

155 posts, read 490,100 times
This is a different scenario than the one you mentioned but a new employer will know you were on unemployment after they enter your information into your state's new hire database. The employer will be notified that they may be eligible for a tax credit for hiring an unemployed person.

Just be aware of this so you can manage how this information is comes out. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:45 PM

14,508 posts, read 25,910,303 times
nctecchie, that is just amazing you know that. I hate that new hire database, but with what you just said, I hate it even more. It's so pervasive how that thing works. It came into existence to locate deadbeat parents for child support, and I suspect now that is the least of it's functions.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,111 times
That's good to know about the database. On the one hand, I wish EDD would warn folks more clearly about how much privacy we do or do not have with respect to things like that database. On the other hand, I mostly feel like this is an issue for when your resume is being first considered so maybe the database isn't really a worry -- I don't really think anyone is going to be put off of me by this AFTER I've had a chance to make a good impression in an interview -- what I think is the worst would be if my first impression with an employer is a call from EDD!

Having said all that, though, does the potential tax benefit even out the playing field? Does anyone think the tax benefit is helping counter discrimination against the unemployed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment