U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 AM

64 posts, read 125,225 times

Advertisements

When I first stared my unemployment last year, I put in a claim every two weeks like a good girl because the award letters said so. Stumbling across quite a few posts about claiming each week and it makes no difference, I started doing so. If I get to the last online claim page, it states the available one week to claim. I took a chance and changed to weekly claims. No problems whatsoever. Nothing sent to me from unemployment warning me of my benefits would be affected by doing so, or anything else. Paid every week like a charm.
Now, my question. I got my EB award letter, (just like the one when I got my original award letter) and like the first time, had the yellow work search form with instructions. The only difference is now they expect it to be sent in every two weeks. This first one has to be mailed the Friday (May 11th) before my scheduled date to claim Wed. May 16. Very clear so far.
My question is, I happened by habit pull up the claim page online this morning and there it was with the one week listed there available to claim. Will there be a problem if I go ahead and do the online claim for the week and keep on claiming every Sunday like I have been? or do I have to wait to claim Wednesday, May 16th? What could happen? It could be claimed, but I won't get the money till May 18th (day of deposit) according to the instructions? Worse case scenario - cut me off? Regarding going from Tier IV to EB, I can't find the post where I got the suggestion not to stop claiming -but to just keep on claiming each week, it will be documented. I may not get paid right away, but when I do, the back claims will be deposited/paid in full up to that point. Sorry, I am having a difficult time remembering how it was worded.
Bottom line, if it is available to claim, why not? I feel better having done that, than not at all, and with the unstable climate of when NJ will stop the EB payments -supposed to by June 9th, yet several mentions that it could stop three weeks prior or after that date. (Can not be sure if that is a fact or not, just read it in several places)
That is why I am making a big deal about should I finish the online claim I am sitting on this morning, and keep on claiming again next week and so on, or, wait till May 16th?
Has ANYONE OUT THERE kept on claiming every week when starting EB in NJ and not waited 2 weeks as per the instructions from Unemployment, and what happened? I would appreciate experiences with that, and advice. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 12:27 PM

23,446 posts, read 49,944,752 times
EB is NOT EUC. Claim EB as instructed. The trigger off will not affect your eligibility for those weeks - even if you submit your claims after NJ triggers off.

Please don't second guess NJ on EB. You can really get fouled up that way. EB is a different program with more stringent requirements.

Follow NJ's instructions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment