U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:12 PM

6 posts, read 21,772 times

Advertisements

I was offered a new employment opportunity in another state, so I gave my employer 2 weeks notice and quickly relocated in time to start my new position within a three week time period. A few days before I was to report to my new job (as stated in my job offer and through various emails with the HR dept.) I was contacted by HR and told that the position is no longer available due to unforeseen budget restrictions. Now I am in a new state, with no job, a new lease, and absolutely no income. I can't believe that this has happened. I filed an unemployment claim with NJ and will not hear back regarding the determination until next week. Will I be eligible for to receive unemployment benefits since I quit my job in NJ? I was employed in NJ for the last two years. Any suggestions are welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM

14,508 posts, read 26,267,479 times
This happens more than you think. Yes, you can get unemployment for this most of the time. In some states, there is a requirement that the new job has to better than the job you left.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:35 PM

23,577 posts, read 50,278,586 times
What a kick in the head. Since you have written documentation of this offer - and its rescission (I hope) - you should be eligible for unemployment.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:38 PM

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm a nervous wreck over this, so I'm trying to get some feedback while I wait for my determination letter.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,985 posts, read 6,103,543 times
wow thats horrible!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,074,309 times
omg..that is terrible. I can only imgaine how you feel

Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM

878 posts, read 1,495,738 times
That is just horrible. The new employer would definitely get a piece of my mind.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 PM

6,419 posts, read 20,343,550 times
This kind of backstabbing by companies just makes me sick. It's happened to me but not to the extent of your experience. It is likely your UE claim maybe denied initially...make sure you appeal and keep appealing until you win or you have exhausted all appeals. Apply for food stamps immediately. If you are single you will probably not get a lot but if you have kids you should get something.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM

Default Non-monetary phone interview scheduled for 5/21

I still haven't heard anything back, I have to wait until my phone interview on 5/21 to determine if I am eligible for benefits. In the meantime, I've met with several job agencies in addition to pounding the pavement and scouring the internet. I'm trying to think positively, but it's hard when the rent, car payment, student loan payments, etc. need to be paid!

Old 05-15-2012, 04:08 PM

17,802 posts, read 22,558,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feline0775 View Post
I still haven't heard anything back, I have to wait until my phone interview on 5/21 to determine if I am eligible for benefits. In the meantime, I've met with several job agencies in addition to pounding the pavement and scouring the internet. I'm trying to think positively, but it's hard when the rent, car payment, student loan payments, etc. need to be paid!
In addition to filing for UE benefits you may want to call a lawyer. Maybe the fact that you located to a new state for this and they didn't notify you before you moved could get you some type of settlement.

I don't normally suggest suing an employer, but in this case I think it would be worth it. You focus on the fact that you moved, had this happened to you in NJ, you could have asked for you old job back. But you moved due to this new job. You have emails, do you have a formal written offer as well?

When you have time I would do a search online for a law office that handles employment issues.

I'm sorry that happened to you. There's no excuse for that, they must had some idea that there were budget issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment