Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 02:43 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times

Advertisements

My initial unemployment claim expired on 5-5-2012.

I called unemployment on 5-7-2012 and filed a new claim. I had worked enough in 2012 to be eligible for a brand new claim with only a small reduction in benefits (from $450 to $406) so that is not really an issue.

I received the notice of the new claim filed in the mail on the 10th. All of the information was correct.

The problem: I received a continued claim form for my old claim (I know it is the old one as I know the balance remaining on the claim). I also received the claim form for the new claim. I know this is the new claim as one of the weeks is crossed out. I was told to expect this by the representative I spoke with, that is has somehting to do with the first payment on a claim is only supposed to be for a week due to the waiting period being a part of the 1st biweekly claim. I do not have a waiting period due to the fact that I am continuing from Tier 2 extension benefits. I am to file on this claim as of 5-13-12. The issue is that I am not able to file via the internet and when I called into telecert, I was told I was calling too early and that my next certification date was the 20th. It seems reasonably obvious that the automated system still, and likely EDD, has me on the old claim not the new one. I do not have enough of a benefit reduction to cause either the $100 or the 25% less rule to take effect.

My question: Should I mail in the claim form I received? I emailed EDD but if they take their normal time to answer the email, I could have an issue because I did not mail in a claim form in a timely manner. I also plan to try calling EDD, but that has had limited success for me in the past prior to Thursday of the week, (I fluked into getting through the first time I called on the 7th) so one never knows how long a call into EDD will take to actually get a human. I am guessing that the claim forms crossed in the mail, as my last EDD payment on the old claim was issued on 5-6-2012 for the claim period ending 5-5-2012 which was also the last day of my claim year. Just concerned with sending in the wrong claim form (although I am pretty sure which one is right) and was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue? Also, the claim form with one of the weeks crossed out is one of the "generic" ones that have no claim information on them just the dates and my info, no amounts, etc.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this doesn't make perfect sense...I am a little confused, and it is likely that results in a possibly confusing question.

Last edited by thebunny; 05-13-2012 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: Add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 03:14 PM

So it now appears there is some sort of "recomputation" required because someone put a $35 settlement of a class action claim into wages. This is why the new claim isn't going through. At least this is what the woman I spoke with told me. She also said that it should take 4 days to handle this issue, so she couldn't figure out why it is taking over a week. Honestly not positive she has any idea what she is talking about, as I initially told her I had received the claim forms, etc and about halfway through the call informed me that she will try to find out the holdup on the recomputation so I can get the forms sent to me.

Hmmmmmmmm......

And, of course, after calling all am and finally getting through to someone, the call dropped while I was on hold. Guessing I used my one shot at getting through to an EDD rep this week. Not happy, as I should have been able to file the claim yesterday.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM

UPDATE:

Talked to someone who understood what was going on. I was told that sometimes there is confusion when transitioning from one year to the next (I noticed that) and that I needed to send in the claim form that I received for the one week as that would allow the EDD systems to get back on track with what I was sending in. Not sure why it takes a claim form to get them back on track...but fine. I figure I am at least mostly covered if I am calling in and doing what the EDD people tell me, as at least if something goes wrong I have names, times and dates of the people I spoke with. May not save me, LOL, but I figure it gives me a fighting chance.

Hopefully the information I am posting on this will help someone else who has to deal with this at some point.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment