U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 07:08 PM

33 posts, read 76,280 times

Advertisements

I'm still waiting for my appeal hearing (been waiting since January) it's supposedly happening in either June or July. I am currently thinking about going back to school to further my career development in the fall. My question is if my appeal hearing goes my way and I start collecting... if I go back to school will I be able to continue? This is for New Jersey.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 PM

23,040 posts, read 48,975,477 times
NJ has to approve your schooling. Most people don't find this to be a problem. You need to say you are still looking for work and are available to work if offered a position.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:33 PM

Ok. Because (if) I get approved I will be collecting in New Jersey but residing in South Carolina. So if I do get approved I will have to call NJ and tell them I'm taking night classes for example?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:33 PM

461 posts, read 837,284 times
When you speak to the appeal person, try and set up a phone interview a few weeks before classes begin, and explain that you are going to school.

Last semester I didn't know I had to set up a phone interview before every semester (I guess so they can approve it?) and so there was a lapse in my payments. Luckily I was able to get a phone interview rather quickly. The lady I spoke to said it is wise to phone in a few months before your classes are to begin and set up an appointment--so that there is no lapse.

Once you have your phone interview about your schooling they will ask you to fax over your class schedule. Its no big deal really. Like Ariadne22 said, you should have no problems.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:42 PM

So I understand you vital... when I speak to the appeal judge whenever that is in June/July I should also state that I may be attending school in the fall? I just started the school process a few days ago so the appeal thing and school thing are kind of intermingling at the current time. That's why I'm confused.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 PM

Yeah I would mention that you are looking to go back to school in the fall as to further your career. As long as you are available for work and are seeking work, I don't think they will give you a hassle.

I will be honest though, I haven't dealt with an appeal judge before. I don't know if it is different than the phone interview you have when you first open a claim. I'm just telling you from my own experience in what I had to do.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 PM

4,402 posts, read 12,270,482 times
I actually found the appeal judge I dealt with to be more reasonable than the phone person.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:49 PM

23,040 posts, read 48,975,477 times
Here is the thread on your initial discharge:

Unique Unemployment Denial. Feedback Appreciated!

The appeal judge will have nothing to do with approving your schooling. You want him to focus on approving your benefits. Get through the appeal first, hopefully you will win, get the benefits rolling. At that point you can go about having NJ approve your schooling through normal channels.

Do not muddy the appeal efforts now with an issue on projected schooling months from now. Two separate issues and they should remain that way.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:52 PM

Oops. Sorry for the misinformation, TBH.

Like I said, I didn't know if the appeal judge was the same as the phone interview. Listen to Ariadne, they know the ins and outs and always has good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment