Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM

29 posts, read 58,062 times

Advertisements

I work for a state agency and I was employed under a federal grant they received. Basically, long story short, we had a grant extension approved for us that would basically extend our positions until Jun 29, 2012 ( Next week, lucky me). Well back in April they decided to apply for another no cost extension (2nd one) and basically we just had to sit and wait........Well, I go on vacation Memorial day, and come back to a notice that my position and another position had been cut out of the grant. I was told " We got notification that two positions were going to be eliminated".. I think to myself... OKAY, that's fine... I'm thinking the grant approval committee made that decision..so whatever.

Well, today I go in to the project managers office today to ask for any paperwork regarding proof that my position had been cut out so I can take it to the unemployment office next week, she basically tells me that they never submitted my position or the other one...they wanted to have more money for the other things they wanted..so to assure approval..they eliminated a couple positions so they could maximize the chance of a approval.....

Why would you let me think since APRIL!!! That you had applied to extend all of our positions, I could have started applying for jobs much much sooner..like say...back in Feb...if I had known my position was never even going to be submitted. I really want to express my opinion about this to the higher level administrators...but this was a good job on my resume....so I'm not going to vent and make a fool of myself...

Extremely misleading...I mean yes, technically there was never a guarantee that we were going to be able to extend anyone's position...but if you are KNOWINGLY eliminating a position..tell the person so they don't sit around looking like a dummy.

I'm waiting on the HR director to get back from his vac Monday so I can talk to him about unemployment......I am hoping I don't have to fight for it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment