Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 PM

18 posts, read 42,776 times

Advertisements

Hi, everybody! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was wondering if someone could assist me here. I was laid off in January of this year. I'm currently receiving my initial 26 weeks.

Now according to what was posted on the NJ Dept. of Labor website, as of June 16, 2012, NJ is no longer eligible for receiving EB, or extended benefits, but this is for long-term unemployed.

"New Jersey no longer qualifies for the EB program that provides up to 20 weeks of jobless benefits to the long-term unemployed in high-unemployment states."

I believe my benefits expire in mid-August. If I am still unemployed, do I get some kind of extension?

According to the previous news post on the Dept. of Labor website, I should be eligible for another 73 weeks?

"Current Benefits Status

A regular unemployment insurance claim provides up to 26 weeks of benefits. The federal extension provides up to another 53 weeks of benefits if filed before September 1, 2012 and 47 weeks of benefits if filed after September 1, 2012."

I'll probably call the office to confirm, but knowing how quick and unpleasant they sometimes may be, I'd rather ask here first before anything.

Anyone in a similar situation?

Thanks for your time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 02:50 AM

8 posts, read 15,469 times
I am in NJ and currently unemployed. You will transition to EUC Tier 1 after the initial 26 weeks. The Extended Benefits program you mentioned did not occur until all 4 EUC Tiers had been gone through first. As things stand you are still eligible for all 4 Tiers but the forth Tier is dependent on the unemployment rate in NJ and is not guaranteed. No need for you to panic.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:38 AM

98 posts, read 847,774 times
Well, you would be eligible for extended benefits up until the end of December, when the current program expires, and then you'd have to wait to see if and how they extend the benefits again. As it stands, if your regular state benefits expire in mid August, you'd get another 19 or 20 weeks, and then it all depends on what Congress does.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:57 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
The Extended Benefits Program is NOT the Emergency Compensation Unemployment (EUC) program.

EUC benefits are paid before you reach the Extended Benefits level. Extended Benefits do not concern you, as NJ will no longer be paying Extended Benefits (EB) after July 7.

Your benefits for the remainder of this year are:

EUC Tier 1 - 20 weeks
EUC Tier 2 - 13 weeks or until 12/29 - last payable date under current legislation.

See FAQS at top of this board. Keep claiming. NJ should transition you to Tier 1 automatically. Call NJ with any Qs.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-19-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 PM

18 posts, read 42,776 times
Thank you all so much!

I feel much better now.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,912 times
I received a notice that I will be eligible for Tier II benes as of 6/24/2012; It does not specifically say when to make your continued claim, I would have assumed it would be today the two weeks after my last claim. I went to make my continued benefit claim and it states that "no benefits available at this time", On the State eligibility letter its states "benefit year ending date 6/30/2012" In between I have tried to call the numbers listed and tried to see when I would actually have to claim; i have not had this trouble when I entered the first Tier. Do I claim it on this upcoming Wednesday; I am at a loss. There is no work in my field and this unemployment is barely enough. So glad I went to college! I glad I worked so hard at my previous employer and I'm getting smacked in the face!

Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 PM

194 posts, read 314,399 times
Default NO EB in NJ but the EUC now wants a record of job searches.

From what I have just received from UI 7/1/2012 Due to the fact that NJ is no longer paying EB we are now required to show that we are indeed looking for work just like you were required to do when on EB.

I don't know if they are sending the same yellow form to be filled out but my notice it now says we must show that we are looking for work. Monday Wednesday and Fridays.

The form is not clear weather this is mandatory but it does say they can check at any time to see weather we are actually looking for work. This new requirment went into effect after EB went away.

If anyone has heard different please comment.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki D View Post
I received a notice that I will be eligible for Tier II benes as of 6/24/2012; It does not specifically say when to make your continued claim, I would have assumed it would be today the two weeks after my last claim. I went to make my continued benefit claim and it states that "no benefits available at this time", On the State eligibility letter its states "benefit year ending date 6/30/2012"
Please see FAQS, post 2, #8. Your claim has expired. You need to call NJ to speak to a representative in order to recertify your claim. There is nothing further you can do online.

Call NJ.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentals View Post
From what I have just received from UI 7/1/2012 Due to the fact that NJ is no longer paying EB we are now required to show that we are indeed looking for work just like you were required to do when on EB.

I don't know if they are sending the same yellow form to be filled out but my notice it now says we must show that we are looking for work. Monday Wednesday and Fridays.

The form is not clear weather this is mandatory but it does say they can check at any time to see weather we are actually looking for work. This new requirment went into effect after EB went away.

If anyone has heard different please comment.
Extended Benefits has always required you submit documentation of your work searches. It is mandatory. Complete and mail the forms as instructed.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 PM

194 posts, read 314,399 times
I was not talking about EB I was referring to EUC. My letter came on Friday stating that we are now required to show the same job searches as we did when on EB. This is a new change to NJ I don't know if other states follow the same new rules. That's what I was asking I know how EB used to work this is something NEW.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment