Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,924 times

Advertisements

Hi any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to these message boards so i'm sorry if this has already been asked but i have searched and could not find the answer i am looking for.

So i have been receiving unemployment benefits since Jan of 2011, it says on my claim forms that my "CLAIM EXPIRES 01-14-12". Just recently i got a letter saying that i am going to be going on my EUC extension and from what i understand there is 4 tiers to it and i had to start recording my work search history. After i got that letter i started to receive my claim forms but it was only for 6 weeks of total pay, and now my claim balance is $0.00 so what i'm asking is do i now go on my second tier of the EUC benefits? Normally i'd get a blank claim form when my claim reaches $0.00 and it usually says some thing like if you are eligible for another claim it will be filed automatically for you, but in this case, the blank claim form states "You have received all the benefits payable on your claim. Since you may qualify for a new claim call your unemployment insurance office immediately or visit out website at www.edd.ca.gov." Well of course i tried to call but we all know that's like a damn lottery, and I've emailed them but have not gotten any response. I just received the last of my money this last Tuesday, so should i wait and see if i get another claim form like it usually happens, or do i file again? This was kinda unexpected and still have not found a job. Any information would get greatly appreciated it. Again sorry if this is a dumb question, i just need an understanding. Also do you receive an actual letter in the mail stating you will no longer be receiving benefits for good? Because just the top strip of a claim form is kinda throwing me off here. There is also news that i have been reading that Obama signed some thing to let people receive benefits till Dec 21 or some thing, does that apply to me to? Or is that just the Federal extension?

Thank you to anybody that can help answer these questions for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 10:03 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,720,632 times
Quote:
This was kinda unexpected and still have not found a job.
The CA website is very clear on what benefits are available until when. CA has been doing a pretty good job of updating its website for quite a while now. Did you never check it out in the entire 18 months you were receiving benefits?

New Federal Unemployment Insurance Extensions

If you've been receiving benefits since January 14, 2011, you have been collecting for 79 weeks.

Your benefits are exhausted.

You received:

26 weeks state benefits - January - July 2011
20 weeks EUC Tier 1 - August - December 2011
14 weeks EUC Tier 2 - December - March 2012
13 weeks EUC Tier 3 - April 2012 - June 2012
06 weeks EUC Tier 4 - July 2012 - to present

CA will not be sending you any further claim forms. It has already told you
Quote:
"You have received all the benefits payable on your claim"
Whether or not CA sends you yet another letter telling you the same thing is irrelevant at this point.

In February, Congress extended the federal unemployment legislation until December 29, 2012. This legislation reduced (not added) benefits. Read the entire FAQS thread. It will explain the program.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...l#post22370378

You possibly could qualify for another State of California claim only if you have worked during the past year or more while you were collecting benefits.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-03-2012 at 10:23 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 12:47 AM

2 posts, read 5,924 times
Thank you for the response. I was under the impression that i was collecting from the state for a year, then federal, and then 6 weeks ago, i got a letter in the mail saying that I will be on my EUC. So i thought i was starting off with my first tier of EUC, not ending with it. It's my fault really because i never checked up on it, I thought i had an understanding and was going off what a couple of people told me. I just never knew i was already collecting EUC till i received that letter 6 weeks ago. I also thought that when you ran out of benefits, they would inform you in a formal letter, not a strip from a claim form...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment