Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 AM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

I went in for an appointment set by the Labor Board due to receiving extended benefits. There were around 20 of us, who first viewed a 30 min. movie and then were called to talk to an examiner.

I wasn't at all concerned as I have been networking, sending out resumes, following all leads ect. Unfortunately, I have only had 4 interviews and no offers - but I stay positive.

I was originally laid off in Jan 2011 and found a job 5 months later through a friend. It only paid about half of what I had been making and was not my original occupation, but at this age, 50+, I was happy to be doing something I enjoyed and would provide me with benefits when my husband retires. Unfortunately, after 3 months, I was again let go as they no longer needed my services. So it has been a year since I've been employed.

As soon as I walked back to the examiner's cubicle, I had noticed she had posters up about UI Fraud and how to report it. I also get upset when I see things such as compensation, medicaid, social programs being abused and thought good for her. Little did I know it was bad for me.

Right off the bat, she pulled up my name and said - you were suppose to email your resume to us in Jan and didn't. That's true, and I explained that I did plan to but when I went to the Labor Dept web site it told me a resume was in the system and I assumed that the last examiner I talked to had scanned in the copy of the esume I had brought to that appt. The examiner says no that is from the demographic sheet you first filled out. No problem - I pulled out my resumes, as I have a few different, depending on the job I'm applying for and went to hand them to her. She wouldn't accept them - you have to email it.

Next do you understand what your capable job skills are? I said yes, she wasn't convinced and went on about work I should be applying for. I had 2 job search work sheets for the past couple of weeks, which show the diversity of my work search but she doesn't bother to look at them.

The examiner went on to explain the UI wage earnings and what was acceptable - which we had seen in the film and I was going to check out when I got home. She then asked if I use the Labor web site - I do - but had not checked that site in about a week. I'm not sure what she typed in but berated me as there were 3 positions - I was capable off!! These positions, when looked at were starting at $10, ( lower than the 10% of UI wages) were a real reach of what I was capable of and quite a distance from home though she told me they consider travel of an hour acceptable. She printed these out and sends me on my way.

I can't say how I felt when I left but it was far from positive. Here I'm doing what I think is right and I felt like I'd just been in to the principal's office. No offense, but I would love to have their job. They move at a snail's place and no one is overworked. If she would have looked at the work search sheets - she would have seen that I had a diversified search and even have applied for part-time on the hopes it may become full time with benefits.

Talking before the meeting to others in the group - their work search was minimum. I have taken a couple of classes from them, like jobless over 50 ect and had planned on taking one on How to Interview Well - but I don't want to run into her again. The other examiners have been friendly and helpful. Needless to say, I hope I don't have to go to another one of these meetings if these benefits are extended and I don't find a job, but if I do should she be the one to interview me - if I can get up the courage - would it be wrong to ask for someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 05:34 AM

11 posts, read 25,166 times
Just sit through it. The claims examiner is not your friend, in fact it is an adversarial position. She is supposed to find ways to DQ you and you are supposed to find was to remain eligible. It's only an hour so just go through it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment