Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times

Advertisements

This is from earlier in the month:

What do jobless do when unemployment checks run out?

"The cutbacks, required by a federal law passed in February, are already taking a toll. They are nudging some Americans into poverty, straining social services just as states and localities face their own budget woes and further crimping weak economic growth as those who lose benefits spend less....

......Economists worry most about the likely suspension of all benefits past 26 weeks at year's end. The average unemployed American has been out of work 40 weeks, according to the Labor Department, and there are still about three jobless people for every job opening.
"We're still in a world where you can't expect anybody to find a job within a specific period of time because there aren't enough jobs out there," says Jesse Rothstein, economist at University of California-Berkeley. "I think it still calls for pretty long extensions.".....

.....Since jobless people tend to spend virtually all of their income, the phase-out of benefits may cut up to two-tenths of a percentage point off economic growth over the next year, says Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics.

So we are going to see this start to hit in a big way later 2012 and 2013, perhaps?

Times are going to really suck.

So what do you all do when the unemployment runs out? Has anyone been in this situation? Seems like one would be a few short steps from being homeless if no income to pay for rent/heat/food.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 AM

97 posts, read 265,705 times
It's going to get real ugly in this country from 2013 on

Old 08-16-2012, 11:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Mass suicides.

Not that anyone will care, as sad as it sounds.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...p_ref=business

Old 08-16-2012, 04:01 PM

245 posts, read 382,480 times
I don't know about you guys but when benefits run out, I will eat from the Fruit of the Vine.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Some people I know are not even thinking about it and just excited that they get 3 unemployment checks in September. Sad

Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
First they should be applying for food stamps. The less income they have the more they will receive. Of course, you have to count on your county handling your application in a timely manner which doesn't always happen. Church members should check with their church for assistance and apply for housing and cooling/heating assistance. The Salvation Army can help you find organizations that can help.

If possible move in with other family. You are going to see a lot more extended families living together as the situation worsens.

How do I know this? We lost our unemployment benefits in April and though I have a small income it's not enough to pay everything that needs to be paid. Without help from some mentioned above we'd be living in a home that doesn't work.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
First they should be applying for food stamps. The less income they have the more they will receive. Of course, you have to count on your county handling your application in a timely manner which doesn't always happen. Church members should check with their church for assistance and apply for housing and cooling/heating assistance. The Salvation Army can help you find organizations that can help.

If possible move in with other family. You are going to see a lot more extended families living together as the situation worsens.

How do I know this? We lost our unemployment benefits in April and though I have a small income it's not enough to pay everything that needs to be paid. Without help from some mentioned above we'd be living in a home that doesn't work.
I hope it doesn't come to that, I would be really depressed

Old 08-16-2012, 11:23 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
I think you have to prepare for it if you can. I have a friend that is losing their house soon and without money doesn't know what they are going to do.

Apparently when you are a contract (1099) worker or your employer went out of business and they can't verify your employment you won't get hired anywhere! Good lord; is that really what we've come down to?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I think you have to prepare for it if you can. I have a friend that is losing their house soon and without money doesn't know what they are going to do.

Apparently when you are a contract (1099) worker or your employer went out of business and they can't verify your employment you won't get hired anywhere! Good lord; is that really what we've come down to?
i still have my letter from the employer confirming they were going out of business.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Either they get a job or they get on welfare handouts.

Don't expect anything to get better for a long long time -- with 2 million people being given work visas, there's going to be a whole lot of competition out there for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment