U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,606 posts, read 53,142,889 times

Advertisements

If you accept a temp job for 40 hours a week and it's $30 less than what you get on UC after taxes, do you still accept that job?

I;m not sure how this works because the agency is only offering $11.00 an hour. Weekly benefit is $392 after taxes and the temp job would be $360 a week after taxes. So do I just tell the agency I won't accept?

Doesn't it have to be part-time work to receive partial benefits?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:57 AM

14,508 posts, read 25,768,656 times
Not sure of the specifics with PA, but this question has arisen before and in NJ, if you work 32+ hrs/wk, that is not being unemployed anymore, and even if your gross pay is less than your UI benefit, you won't receive a check.

I get that you may be desperate, but don't take a job that pays less than UI until your UI benefits are exhausted. I just can't see the upside of working for "free."

Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Not sure of the specifics with PA, but this question has arisen before and in NJ, if you work 32+ hrs/wk, that is not being unemployed anymore, and even if your gross pay is less than your UI benefit, you won't receive a check.

I get that you may be desperate, but don't take a job that pays less than UI until your UI benefits are exhausted. I just can't see the upside of working for "free."
The gross pay is more than the weekly benefit but the net pay is $30 than the weely benefit after taxes. So it look like it doesn't make sense to accept.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 AM

The calculations are done using the gross, not the after tax amount. Also, you're forgetting that you're giving up 40 hours/wk of your life to make no more than you'd be getting by staying at home. Also, there's expenses associated with working like transportation, FICA, lunches, and then there is the inconvenience of it all like having to wake up to an alarm clock, having work clothes ready, and primping time. It's much easier to take this kind of job when you're not getting anything simply because it's better than nothing, but when it's a trade off like this, let someone else whose UI benefits have run out take it.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
The calculations are done using the gross, not the after tax amount. Also, you're forgetting that you're giving up 40 hours/wk of your life to make no more than you'd be getting by staying at home. Also, there's expenses associated with working like transportation, FICA, lunches, and then there is the inconvenience of it all like having to wake up to an alarm clock, having work clothes ready, and primping time. It's much easier to take this kind of job when you're not getting anything simply because it's better than nothing, but when it's a trade off like this, let someone else whose UI benefits have run out take it.

So when the agency calls tomorrow just let her know I won't accept?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:02 AM

That's what I'd do, but I'd also report the refusal of work to UI and endure the adjudication that will follow. In the future, I'd never apply for these types of jobs ever again so that you don't have to deal with the consequences. Refusal of work issues are much easier to deal with than a quit. Just make sure you have the correct answer: the job didn't pay as much as you made in recent pervious employment. Also, per the US DOL, you are allowed to mention the job having no benefits like vacation, holiday, sick, and benefits, but for that to be a factor you are required to raise the issue.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
That's what I'd do, but I'd also report the refusal of work to UI and endure the adjudication that will follow. In the future, I'd never apply for these types of jobs ever again so that you don't have to deal with the consequences. Refusal of work issues are much easier to deal with than a quit. Just make sure you have the correct answer: the job didn't pay as much as you made in recent pervious employment. Also, per the US DOL, you are allowed to mention the job having no benefits like vacation, holiday, sick, and benefits, but for that to be a factor you are required to raise the issue.

Report it UI? How does that work? I didn't think I had to say anything. You mean when I file again I answer yes to the refuse work question?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 AM

24,671 posts, read 62,798,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Report it UI? How does that work? I didn't think I had to say anything. You mean when I file again I answer yes to the refuse work question?
If you don't report your refusal to take the job the agency probably will. I don't know that I'm correct but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a condition of their license that they report to Labor those people on their books who are collecting UC and who are either hired or who turn down jobs. Since you're allegedly an "employment counselor" by profession, you might spend some time educating yourself about all the rules and regulations in order to better advise your clients ...

You might study this website and, reference your situation, see Sections 65.21 and 65.62.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/03...chap65toc.html

Last edited by STT Resident; 10-02-2012 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM

24,671 posts, read 62,798,093 times
This may also be applicable:

"Emergency Unemployment Compensation Fix
Workers who accepted temporary assignments formerly often risked losing a large proportion of their unemployment benefits or becoming ineligible to receive benefits at all. This is because their "base" salary depended on their most recent work, and many temp jobs pay much less than the jobs formerly held by unemployed workers. However, in July 2010, President Obama signed the "Emergency Unemployment Compensation Fix" into law. The provision allows workers who accept temporary work and whose weekly benefits based on their temporary jobs total either $100 less or 25 percent less than the weekly benefits from their former jobs to resume collecting unemployment at the higher rate when their temporary assignments end, according to the National Employment Law Project.
"

Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 AM

12,172 posts, read 16,143,198 times
People work temp jobs when collecting unemployment. If your earnings fall below your weekly unemployment check , I believe unemployment will send you a partial check to make up the difference. Don't pass up a job at this stage of the game.

You go on "practice dates" with ladies who don't interest you, and "practice job interviews" for jobs you don't want, why not accept a "practice job?" If anything it will give you the experience of getting back to the daily routine of going to work. It can't hurt, right?

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 10-02-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment