Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 PM

6 posts, read 9,885 times

Advertisements

There is no need to be so aggressive and rude; obviously, I came to this forum because I wasn't sure if what I was doing was considered fraud or not. Meaning I am a little freaked out. It's a very confusing situation -- Unemployment Insurance covers wages lost from a specific job in a specific state. The part-time work had always been supplementary, and was also in a different state. I only filed for unemployment in New York for the full-time job that was lost. I was and am still confused as to how it works out between different states, particularly it was for part-time work, not even freelance or commission-based. It wasn't like I found a new job and continued to collect unemployment.

Anyway, thanks Ariadne22, I'll call and try to straighten this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:07 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,376,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepaperplane View Post
There is no need to be so aggressive and rude; obviously, I came to this forum because I wasn't sure if what I was doing was considered fraud or not. [/b]

Now you know.

Meaning I am a little freaked out. It's a very confusing situation -- Unemployment Insurance covers wages lost from a specific job in a specific state.

It really isn't confusing. It asks if you worked or made any money. You received a check from an official job that was reported on your taxes but are trying to use the "it was a different state excuse"

The part-time work had always been supplementary, and was also in a different state.

Which is the excuse you are trying to use.

I only filed for unemployment in New York for the full-time job that was lost. I was and am still confused as to how it works out between different states, particularly it was for part-time work, not even freelance or commission-based. It wasn't like I found a new job and continued to collect unemployment.

No, you still had a job and collected UI while telling NY you had no money coming in. Same thing. Same attempt to make the system work for you. Last I checked, part time work pays real money and is actual work...both clearly covered on the benefits form you filled out each claim period

Anyway, thanks Ariadne22, I'll call and try to straighten this out.
Plenty of people lose their jobs, have legitimate claims, and get stuck in the never ending loop of UI while trying to survive. I have NO tolerance for people who try to work the system to get extra money and then panic when they realize they may be caught.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:12 PM

14,500 posts, read 30,998,234 times
Unemployment covers someone when they are not working at all or not earning more than they get on UI. It sets a floor where you can't get less than that. It's geared for people that work one job and get laid off. The system fails miserably when you're trying to better yourself by working two jobs.

If you had the slightest hint you were getting laid off from your fulltime job, it would have been in your best interest to immediately quit the part-time job prior to your layoff from the full-time job.

It's a shame that you had to do this in NY of all states. They have the worst partial UI formula ever. If those 10 hrs/wk had you working 2 to 3 hrs/day, under NY's formula, you weren't entitled to any UI at all. In NY, you can actually earn less by working part-time than you'll get on UI.

I hope those 10 hours paid more than $10/hr and was all done in 1 day/wk, but I doubt you knew that you'd have needed to do that to actually come out ahead rather than just collecting your UI check.

I also think thebunny's estimate is on the low side. I just have this feeling you worked like 2 hrs/day simply because you worked a full-time job while doing this, and I doubt you'd have time for many more hours than that after working a full day, and I doubt you changed your habits after you were laid off. I think you're overpayment is going to be 26 weeks X 405 = 10530 + penalties.

Last edited by Chyvan; 10-21-2012 at 09:26 PM..

Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 9,885 times
The full-time job had flexible enough hours/days so that I squeezed about one day a week for the part-time job. The one day a week is pretty accurate, even after I lost the full-time job. The overpayment difference would work out to around $2400.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,376,392 times
So about $2400, the loss of benefits until the fraud issue is settled and who knows how much penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment