Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 11:57 AM

45 posts, read 294,263 times

Advertisements

This is a weird one.

I just finished my EUC Tier 2. While waiting for the "automatic filing" of my Tier 3 I received one of those "Invalid Claim 1277" letters because I assume it is my 1 year anniversary of collecting benifets and I need to re-certify that I am still unemployed. Went to Cal Jobs, updated resume, ect...

But I have yet to receive any claim form or documentation from EDD. I usually submit my claim via Web Cert so I checked in on Friday and there was a claim ready submitted for the week ending Oct 6th. MY EUC Tier 2 ended on Sept 29th so I had to assume this was for the Tier 3. So I submitted the claim. a little late, and just got the deposit in my bank.

BUt, I still haven't got any claim forms or any other letters from the EDD about my new claim. If this is on schedule, I'm actually due to submit my next claim as of yesterday for the week ending Oct 21st being two weeks since the first week of the claim, ending Oct 6th. But Web Cert does not show a ready claim for those weeks.

This doesn't make sense. If I was denied the extension, why did they pay me for the first week? If I was extended, why is it taking them so long to let me submit for new claim weeks? Why haven't I gotten any documentation from them?

This sucks because I need that new documentation to send to my Student Loan people who need proof that I'm on Unemployment so I can apply for the Unemployment deferment. It's behind and I need that document pronto!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM

It's possible I could have misplaced some mail too. I get quite a bit. I guess it's also possible it was lost in the mail. Being out of state to an Office you collect from is a real pain!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:23 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbones View Post
If I was extended, why is it taking them so long to let me submit for new claim weeks? Why haven't I gotten any documentation from them?
You need to call California. Read the last few pages on this link for help in getting through on their lines:

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 PM

I won't call the EDD unless it's do or die. The info I get here is just as reliable and it's easy to get flagged if you say the wrong thing. Not to mention how hard it is to get through.

Just a few hours after posting this I got my info in the mail. But, the weekly benefit amount has been reduced to $312 base on a new claim with my earnings in Sept 2011 of $8,108.81. I assumed that since this was an Fed EUC, that my benifets would not change until it expired on Dec 29th.

I am happy to get the extension after all the confusion but I'll have to tighten the belt a little more again.

There is still the week ending 10/6 that I got my old amount of $398. I did receive a claim form for this week with my award letter and it said; "This form is being sent to bring your claim form up to date." So maybe it was apart of the old claim but it does say my previous claim ended on 9/29 so it's still not clear to me. But this is a different topic, just giving update for those who can use this info.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 PM

Just found this in my letter:

Legislation signed by President Obama on November 6, 2009, provides up to one week of additional extended UI benifets for the second federal extension. These additional benefits have automatically been filed for you effective 09/30/2012. The maximum benefit amount available to you for these additional second extension benifets is $398. You will be mailed a one-week claim form which you will need to complete and return to the EDD if you would like to collect these benefits.

So I guess that explains the weird one week check.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
The weekly benefit amount has been reduced to $312 base on a new claim with my earnings in Sept 2011 of $8,108.81. I assumed that since this was an Fed EUC, that my benifets would not change until it expired on Dec 29th.
For anyone collecting EUC, CA is required to test for new state claim eligibility on a quarterly basis or when transferring to a new tier. Since you were moving to Tier 3, CA's earnings test determined eligibility for a new state claim at $312. If Congress extends the legislation in its current form into 2013, CA will pay you what remains of your Tiers 3 and 4 at $398, after you have exhausted your state benefits.

Quote:
The weekly benefit amount has been reduced to $312 base on a new claim with my earnings in Sept 2011 of $8,108.81. I assumed that since this was an Fed EUC, that my benifets would not change until it expired on Dec 29th.

There is still the week ending 10/6 that I got my old amount of $398. Legislation signed by President Obama on November 6, 2009, provides up to one week of additional extended UI benifets for the second federal extension. These additional benefits have automatically been filed for you effective 09/30/2012. The maximum benefit amount available to you for these additional second extension benifets is $398.
Tier 2's 14th week is normally paid after the exhaustion of Tier 3. Since you have not moved to Tier 3, CA paid you that 14th week of Tier 2 now.

Per FAQS:
Quote:
Federal Benefits: Maximum 73 weeks (varies by UE rate/trigger/state laws) a/k/a
Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC);
Extended Benefits/High Extended benefits a/k/a EB and HUP, as follows:

20 weeks – EUC Tier 1 (two parts EUC08 13 wks; EUCX 7 wks, often credited and paid separately in NY and some other states)
14 weeks – EUC Tier 2 (two parts 13 wks + 1 wk, 14th week often paid at end of Tier 3)

//www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html

Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
For anyone collecting EUC, CA is required to test for new state claim eligibility on a quarterly basis or when transferring to a new tier. Since you were moving to Tier 3, CA's earnings test determined eligibility for a new state claim at $312. If Congress extends the legislation in its current form into 2013, CA will pay you what remains of your Tiers 3 and 4 at $398, after you have exhausted your state benefits.
Thanks Ariadne22, thorough as always!

However, this part still has me confused. I'm in my 53rd week, even with the back and forth between my old claims and new ones, I would think that I have long exhausted any state UE benifets (26 weeks each)? I thought that was the point of Fed EUC, meaning I have no more state benifets. So does that mean I should still get $398?

Looking forward to your insight!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM

I don't understand your question.

What does exhausting an older state claim for 26 weeks have to do with a new state claim for 26 weeks?

You've got a new state claim @$312. When you exhaust this new state claim, CA will continue to pay EUC from Tiers 3 and 4 of the earlier claim.

As long as you have new earnings, you have potential eligibility for a new state claim at some point.

If you continue to work and the federal egislation is extended, you might have eligibility for yet another new state claim.

Also, please read order of payment on multiple claims, per FAQS:

Quote:
3. Can I collect more than one set of tiers?

Yes, under certain circumstances. Generally, in the case of multiple claims, the third claim will void any rights to tiers/EB from the second claim – unless tier benefits from that claim were begun before establishment of the third claim.

4. Why has my state put me back on tiers from my old claim, rather than paying benefits from the current claim?

Unexhausted EUC benefits must be paid before current EUC benefits. Not all states have adhered to this order of payment, but most do. Multiple claims are usually paid as follows:

Claim 1 - State benefits
Claim 1 - EUC Tier benefits until subsequent claim established
Claim 2 – State benefits
Claim 1 – EUC Tier benefits until exhausted
Claim 2 – EUC Tier benefits until exhausted
Claim 2 – EB/HUP (if eligible)

www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-23-2012 at 12:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment