U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 06:39 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,701,603 times

Advertisements

How is the job hunting going? Is it any better now, than say six months or a year ago?
Curious how the market is.
Koale
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,357,542 times
I think its better but still difficult from 2 years ago when I first found a job after being unemployed 2 years, still at that same job and not all that happy about it but many that started that job when I did have moved on to better jobs over the last 2 years, just not me , at least its just barely paying the bills though.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,678,825 times
I've been unemployed for almost half a year. I have two degrees including a master's as well as 20 years of experience in two separate fields.

I have put in over 200 applications and while I've had some interviews, no dice so far.

We actually relocated back to Oklahoma from Oregon because the cost of living is lower and I thought I'd have better job prospects.

We'll see.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
33,522 posts, read 60,974,992 times
I still see many ads in the Sunday Seattle Times, far more than in the last few years. In 2009 it was less than half a page, now running close to two pages. Most are high tech, many at Microsoft and Amazon. Also some upper level management in government. One website we use to advertise openings (for public agencies) is running about 3 times the number of positions as it did in 2009-2010.

http://www.awcnet.org/apps/jobnet/search.asp

Old 12-28-2012, 02:56 AM

67 posts, read 181,094 times
obviously i think it depends on what you do and what skills you can offer, and how much you are willing to take in terms of salary vs. unemployment pay, and yes I stilll think that is a factor with some. Here in Hawaii, there seems to be several office positions available, but the temp wages are low. Sometimes I am shocked that I can be offered an hourly pay of what I made 20 years ago in San Francisco. The pay isn;t necessarily econony related but Hawaii related. Its always been a low pay state vs some others.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:16 AM

7,538 posts, read 3,186,099 times
The Western New York region is worse than ever. Very few newspaper ads - agencies have next to nothing - Labor site does have some high tech and skilled jobs. I heard one of the last remaining manufacturing plants is hiring - going to through in an application - but I also heard that they keep most worker 89 days and then let them go before they are eligible for benefits and union status. Just have to wait and see.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,958,870 times
For me, it hasn't changed at all in the past 14 months. Seeing more junior positions out there, when I'm looking for senior. I apply to them anyway. Started going to my local CareerLink (PA) office's workshops -- they are surprisingly good. It gets me out of the house, connecting with people, and helping me revise my resume. Again.

Quote:
Sometimes I am shocked that I can be offered an hourly pay of what I made 20 years ago in San Francisco.
I was also shocked that freelance rates in my area are the same or less than they were 15 years ago. Same field, same place.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:31 AM

37 posts, read 81,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
How is the job hunting going? Is it any better now, than say six months or a year ago?
Curious how the market is.
Koale
For some reason I have noticed a significant increase in jobs available on Employ Florida Marketplace over the last month or so. That's great, more jobs to apply to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or