Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 AM

67 posts, read 198,688 times

Advertisements

I know, I may overthink things. I had an interview scheduled for tomorrow (wed.) with a new temp agency. I just started on Tier 1 last week and I applied for this one position 2 weeks ago (when extensions seemed iffy) and they just called me today and scheduled me for an interview tomorrow.

Honestly I am not interested in another temp firm. I am already at times working for one other one and it has caused more issues than not, so I do not want to be in a position to feel guilty about reporting (or not reporting) declining a lower paying 'temp job offer' (which I've never done as I just accept what my other agency gives me). I just dont want to be in this position at this point while having the ability to collect tier 1 and continue looking for permanent positions (and the lucrative medical/dental/401k etc lol)

I have not been offered anything obviously, just an interview and those word/excel/outlook tests to do. I know some would say "it doesnt hurt", but yes, it may if they offer me a $10.50 an hour position that has nothing to do with my skills (yes it can happen, as I mistakenly took one from my agency stuffing envelopes for one month when it was supposed to only last one week initially - and I could not quit it)

I guess my worry is this something UI would frown upon? Would they find out? I mean, I listed 3 as having contacted for that week, but in reality contacted 4 that week, so it's not that I woudl have to provide this particular name if asked to provide the 3 contacts. Does this temp agency provide a listing to UI about who is coming into an interview. Am I just being paranoid?

I think what worried me after I left the new agency a voice message needing to "postpone" the interview is that I looked online at my UI status for last weeks filing and it said "pending quarterly monetary review' or something to that effect..

sorry to ask these questions, we're all in a precarious mode these days..

or should my mantra be: "An interview is not an offer of employment"

Last edited by allen96817; 01-09-2013 at 02:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
Just to give you my own first-hand experience with declining work from a temp agency. It was in the late 80s. I was temping for a private school that was going through a computer conversion. I was doing IT work through a temp agency, and the school told me that they wouldn't need me for the next two weeks because of Christmas break. There was no way I was going to do two-weeks with no pay. I contacted the temp agency to inform them of my availability, and they told me they could send me out to be an elf in a Santa set up in a store. I declined it because it wasn't suitable employment for me, and collected my two weeks of UI.

Just because you work for a temp agency doesn't mean you have to take any crap sign-twirl job they send your way. The suitability test applies to each and every job they send you to.

So with the interview, you're technically not supposed to refuse a referral, but just what is the job they have in mind for you? Is it suitable? Money is usually the easiest thing to make an issue of. If you were getting $15/hr at your most recent assignment, and this new one is $10/hr, then you can skip the interview. It's reasons like this that I avoid temp agencies completely while on UI because if you go through enough of these determinations, it can destroy your finances.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM

67 posts, read 229,543 times
Thanks Chyvan, there is no specific job. I just signed up and filled out an application for this random temp agency when the extensions were up in the air last week of December, and they called this week to set up interview. So basically there is no job interview because there is no specific job to interview for. The girl on the phone when she called to set up interview asked what I was looking for, I told her, then scheduled me with so and so. I understand if I had signed up with an agency and they subsequently sent me on an interview, that would be a different situation, but in this one, it s me signing up for the first time with this agency.

I was jjust getting a bit paranoid when I cancelled. As I cancelled because I really want permanent work and not temp work and realized if I went thru with this interview and offered an assignment, I woud not want to put myself in the position of having to worry if I wanted to decline it. I realize too if I signed up with them and was referred to an interview with xyz company, then that would be a different situation too and would be a referral for work. Most office work would be considered suitable, but there is no guarantee they woudl place me either. I made the horrific mistake of accepting a one week assignment in November for $2 less than what i coudl live off of, thinking it would only last a week and was less than 40 hours, but the danged assignment kept getting extended up to a month! So here I was earning lower wages than my UI but could not quit it either. Now I have on record of having to accept that 'new' lowest amount, so I dont want to put myself in that position again.

and I agree, I want to avoid as many temp agencies now as possible.

Last edited by ajd96813; 01-09-2013 at 02:03 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen96817 View Post
I know, I may overthink things. I had an interview scheduled for tomorrow (wed.) with a new temp agency. I just started on Tier 1 last week and I applied for this one position 2 weeks ago (when extensions seemed iffy) and they just called me today and scheduled me for an interview tomorrow.

Honestly I am not interested in another temp firm. I am already at times working for one other one and it has caused more issues than not, so I do not want to be in a position to feel guilty about reporting (or not reporting) declining a lower paying 'temp job offer' (which I've never done as I just accept what my other agency gives me). I just dont want to be in this position at this point while having the ability to collect tier 1 and continue looking for permanent positions (and the lucrative medical/dental/401k etc lol)

I have not been offered anything obviously, just an interview and those word/excel/outlook tests to do. I know some would say "it doesnt hurt", but yes, it may if they offer me a $10.50 an hour position that has nothing to do with my skills (yes it can happen, as I mistakenly took one from my agency stuffing envelopes for one month when it was supposed to only last one week initially - and I could not quit it)

I guess my worry is this something UI would frown upon? Would they find out? I mean, I listed 3 as having contacted for that week, but in reality contacted 4 that week, so it's not that I woudl have to provide this particular name if asked to provide the 3 contacts. Does this temp agency provide a listing to UI about who is coming into an interview. Am I just being paranoid?

I think what worried me after I left the new agency a voice message needing to "postpone" the interview is that I looked online at my UI status for last weeks filing and it said "pending quarterly monetary review' or something to that effect..

sorry to ask these questions, we're all in a precarious mode these days..

or should my mantra be: "An interview is not an offer of employment"

Not at all.

I actually went to a interview that was arranged by the temp agency and the company wanted to hire me but I never started because I changed my mind.

Now if i went to the interview and was offered and never accepted without anything happening then you should be fine if all you did was cancel a interview.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE KOOL View Post
Dude, you need to relax. How would they Know where you applied? You just list the contacts that you think will not contact you back, and apply to more than the minimum amount of contacts, so if you refuse an offer, you can list someone else. My wife refused dozens of offers, because she wanted to chill On UI, and nobody ever bothered her. Nothing to feel guilty about. She milked them real good!

Temp agency sent me to a interview and the company wanted me to start and I never answer the phone again when the agency called. And I still had mu UC benefits without any interruption.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Temp agencies often report - erroneously - refusals of "job offers" to UE. Even when an "actual" offer never occurred. So, not appearing for an interview may trigger this, depending on the agency you are dealing with.

It has happened to many others, here.

There isn't anything you can do other than keep good documentation of what occurred in the event this happens to you.

This is "how" the UE offices find out about where you've "applied" and "refused." Ignore comments which state they'll never find out. They will and they do - all the time.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Temp agencies often report - erroneously - refusals of "job offers" to UE. Even when an "actual" offer never occurred. So, not appearing for an interview may trigger this, depending on the agency you are dealing with.

It has happened to many others, here.

There isn't anything you can do other than keep good documentation of what occurred in the event this happens to you.

This is "how" the UE offices find out about where you've "applied" and "refused." Ignore comments which state they'll never find out. They will and they do - all the time.

I think you are right it may depend on the agency because I was sent to a interview and when the company contacted the agency to let them know they wanted me to start, I never responded to the agency phone calls or emails. And there was never any interruption of benefits at all.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 AM

67 posts, read 198,688 times
Thanks all. Like I mentioned to clarify better, there was no interview with any particular company. An agency was not sending me anywhere to interview. It was simply the initial 'go into this new temporary agency and take those excel/word/outlook and typing tests and meet with a staffing person" type of interview. No offer of anything, I just over reacted with a bit of paranoia due to the circumstances of it all.

Had this been my normal agency where I have a history with, I would have gone to an interview that they set up with xyz company. In fact, I have several times. Never declined one. If one is forced to go on an interview and is not interested in the position, Im sure there are subtle ways of making sure you aren't the one hired.

I am not nor was I ever registered with this temp agency. This agency was new and I just simply called them and they said 'come on in'. No paper work at all filled out, in fact I never met them. If it was a requirment to sign up with temp agencies, then it would be... a requirement to do so lol. As far as I know there is no such requirement.

thanks, all, I promise not to be so erratic in the future. In fact, when the site was down yesterday , I literally thought, oh oh, have I been banned for asking paranoid questions???

Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen96817 View Post
Thanks all. Like I mentioned to clarify better, there was no interview with any particular company. An agency was not sending me anywhere to interview. It was simply the initial 'go into this new temporary agency and take those excel/word/outlook and typing tests and meet with a staffing person" type of interview. No offer of anything, I just over reacted with a bit of paranoia due to the circumstances of it all.

Had this been my normal agency where I have a history with, I would have gone to an interview that they set up with xyz company. In fact, I have several times. Never declined one. If one is forced to go on an interview and is not interested in the position, Im sure there are subtle ways of making sure you aren't the one hired.

I am not nor was I ever registered with this temp agency. This agency was new and I just simply called them and they said 'come on in'. No paper work at all filled out, in fact I never met them. If it was a requirment to sign up with temp agencies, then it would be... a requirement to do so lol. As far as I know there is no such requirement.

thanks, all, I promise not to be so erratic in the future. In fact, when the site was down yesterday , I literally thought, oh oh, have I been banned for asking paranoid questions???

Well even I was registered and sent to a interview and never accepted the job and never had any issues with UC. The only thing i did was burn bridges with the agency which is ok because i had no intentions on going back there anyway

Old 03-06-2013, 10:57 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
If you never signed up with the agency, I don't see how they could report it to anyone, did you give them your SS#, or driver's license number. Those initial temp agency meets are usually not a big deal, people postpone them all the time, and others walk in. IDK for sure, but I doubt there will be any issue with this, at worst you could just go meet them at a later date if it ever came up with UEI.

I didn't think a temp agency would care if you cancelled a interview since they are the ones offering the job search assistance. I would think they would move on to next person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment