Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:24 PM

10 posts, read 13,279 times

Advertisements

I received a layoff notice in April with an effective termination date of June 20th 2014. My company has an option to accelerate the effective date of the layoff, so I accelerated the effective date to May 23, 2014. I stayed until May 23rd and terminated on that day with a layoff status.

Am I still eligible to receive unemployment? I applied and then I had a phone interview and the interviewer asked me the effective day of the layoff. I told him May 23. Then he asked me to send him a copy of my layoff notice. I then told him that the date on the paperwork would be different since it had an effective date of June 20th. I then told him that I had accelerated my layoff. Well....I then realized I probably should not have said that because then he started asking all kinds of questions about why I accelerated the date. I could have kicked myself!

Do you think I did myself in? Or am I still eligible since it seems like the employer was the moving party by issuing me the 60 notice to begin with and my employer did give me the option to accelerate my layoff.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 04:44 PM

I forgot some information above. I am in California and my employer is a huge aerospace company, so the option to accelerate a layoff is not just something that was verbally said. There are well documented procedures that allow an employee to accelerate their layoff.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
I love the CA UIBDG - just search 'accelerated layoff' and this is what you get:
Quote:
Leaving Prior to Effective Time

Frequently after notice of a quit, layoff, or discharge has been given, either the claimant or the employer will act to accelerate the separation. Such action can alter the character of the separation.

Title 22, Section 1256-1(d) provides:

In the following situations the employee is the moving party in terminating the employment and thus the employee has voluntarily left his or her employment:
(4) The employee leaves work prior to the effective date of a discharge and is not paid beyond the last day actually worked.

Leaving Dependent Upon Option or Contingency

Sometimes an employer may notify the claimant that he or she will be discharged or laid off on a certain date, but gives the individual the option of staying until that date or leaving at once. Normally the claimant would not become the moving party to the separation by accepting the option to leave immediately.

For example, in P-B-166, the claimant's employer notified her on July 29 that she was to be discharged because of unsatisfactory work. The employer gave her the option of leaving at once or staying until July 31, the end of the pay period. The claimant left immediately and was paid only for the time worked. In holding that the claimant's acceptance of the option to accelerate the termination date did not convert the separation to a voluntary quit, the Board said:

We conclude in the present case that, where the employer discharged the claimant with an option to accept the discharge as effective at once or to accept the discharge as effective in a day or so,

by accepting the option to have the discharge effective at once, the claimant did not become the moving party in terminating the employment relationship.

While the limited option in this case involved only two additional working days, since the Board did not specifically define the length of "a day or so," presumably a somewhat longer period could be involved without disturbing the Board's rationale.

Voluntary Quit VQ 135 - Voluntary Leaving or Discharge
Hopefully, the interviewer will recognize the accelerated layoff and not deny - but, if he does, the foregoing is what you use at appeal.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:28 PM

Thank you for the information!!!!! That is exactly my situation! I hope the interviewer sees/knows that. He just kept saying on the phone that what I told him about the accelerated layoff could change my claim. He was sort of mean and kept questioning me about why I did that. It seemed to me to be a good idea at the time to accelerate it. I felt like a dead man (woman) walking and I just wanted to move on and go out and start looking for another job. There were no jobs where I was and I am older, so I felt like I had no hope of anything there.

Hopefully I don't have to do an appeal. I will probably find out in the next week or so if I got approved or denied. This is all so stressful. Wish I could point them to that information that you gave me before they have a chance to deny me. I know I told him that I did an accelerated layoff. Is it just the interviewer that makes the decision? Or does he talk to others or a board or something. If it is just the interviewer....I feel doomed. He was very mean and it seemed like he thought everything I said was a lie. UGH!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover60 View Post
Thank you for the information!!!!! That is exactly my situation! I hope the interviewer sees/knows that. He just kept saying on the phone that what I told him about the accelerated layoff could change my claim. He was sort of mean and kept questioning me about why I did that.
It may be he was trying to determine if you had initiated the early termination (became the moving party) instead of availing yourself of the employer offer. As long as you stuck to your story that you were not the moving party and that your employer offered this option, hopefully he won't invent new facts. Also, if this guy has a question, I would hope he ran his decision past a supervisor before making the final determination. These people shouldn't be islands onto themselves - but you never know. We have had stories where if the deputy can't figure it out, the claim gets buried.

If there is a denial, try calling EDD first and tell them decision is clearly contrary to UIBDG and can a supervisor review your case immediately, rather than you going through the appeal process. Ask for a supervisor - or if there is phone to the appeals section, call them.

This is the first time I've recommended anyone do this, but a denial would be a clear contravention of the CA Code and will delay your benefits for at least six weeks. CA is very prompt on hearing appeals, but earliest you would be scheduled would be the end of July - totally unnecessary delay. You will win the appeal.

Alternatively, if there is a denial and you get nowhere when you call EDD, do not hesitate to email (email is more effective than phone) your CA state legislator immediately. CA is trying to improve its appeal reversal rate which has been over 50%. Usually the legislators respond promptly with good results. This is an issue which should never see an appeal and, at worst, only needs a redetermination if the deputy errs.

Let us know what happens.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:50 AM

Thank you SO MUCH for all the great information and advise. I will definitely let you know what happens.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:38 PM

So today in the mail I received something from EDD. It was a short paragraph on a piece of paper that said the following:

Week paid 06-21-14 $XXX.XX (my dollar amount here)

Benefits are reduced by $XX.XX (I won't put the dollar amount) according to your request to withhold federal income tax. This amount was forwarded on your behalf to the internal revenue service.
Your claim balance after this payment is $XXXXX.XX.
Unemployment compensation is taxable. A question on the claim form allows you to request federal income tax withholding at 10% of your payable amount. You make a new withholding choice on each claim you submit.

So what does this mean? Did they approve me? It sounds like in the letter that they paid me, but I have not gotten any letter saying I was approved, nor have I received any debit card.

HELP!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:46 PM

For now, I think this was a computer generated form sent in advance of the actual decision, but no way to know for sure if you were approved.

CA should be sending claim forms and a debit card. You can't be paid without a debit card. Wait for more info from CA - or call them.

Also...

Exact date you actually filed for benefits?
Exact date you had the interview?

Paying you for week endng 6/21, means week ending 6/14 was your waiting week. So, is that the week you filed?

Old 06-26-2014, 03:47 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Looks like you're approved, but you got cheated out of May 23 to June 20th. Appeal it.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:00 PM

My original Notice of unemployment insurance award said:

Claim Beginning date: 05/25/14
Claim Ending date: 05/23/15
Weekly benefit amount: $XXX

Then I got a letter for an interview on June 9th. All seemed OK from interview.
Then I said in one of my weekly claims that I received severance pay.

So then another interview was scheduled on June 19th supposedly to ask about severance pay. But when the interviewer called, he said it was a "courtesy call" and then that is when I volunteered the "I took an accelerated layoff" information.

In between there, I received a letter like I got today (short one page paragraph), that said:

Week Paid 05-31-14 $.00
No benefits are payable because the week ending 05-31-14 was used as a waiting period week.

So what happened to the weeks of 5-7 and 5-14?

I don't think they could make this anymore confusing if they tried....or maybe I am just void of a brain...(haha could explain why I was laid off) LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment