Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,060 times

Advertisements

I have a meeting set up with my one stop career center next week to attempt to get approval for the NJ Tuition Waiver towards college. Its either that, or permission to go to school as a self-paid student to insure my UI benefits wont be interrupted. They advised me not to register for anything without approval first.

Has anyone had success getting this and could you five me any tips to help my interview with the counselor?? The school I want to attend accepts the waiver so I already have that part down. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 PM

6 posts, read 45,196 times
This is from experience in NJ..

If you are on unemployment and decide to just go to school on your own, you will lose benefits because you are using time that you should be looking for work, or could be working during toward the class time.

if you sign up for online class or take night classes and report that on your claim, you can bet you will have to explain why you checked off "yes" on your biweekly claim.

I got fired, and found out about NJ tuition waiver program. the biggest detail was that I had to sign up for it at my local workforce program, and I could only do it within a month from submitting my ORIGINAL CLAIM OF UNEMPLOYMENT. The second biggest detail was that it had to be an IN CAREER DEMAND, which you can find out by googling it for your state.

I already had my associate's degree, so what I brought was the guideline sheet from my college, showing what classes I needed to finish my bachelors. I was already accepted at the college I wanted to transfer to,Every semester I have to meet with my counselor at workforce to advise what classes I want to take, and he signs off on a paper that I have to take to registrar at my college. I collect unemployment while I go to school, but I have to wait every semester for last day to add/drop classes to register.

All of this info is for NJ, hope it helps

Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 14,539 times
I know it's over a year since the OP but thought a 2014 experience may shed some fresh light on the topic. I too live in NJ but am collecting partial unemployment. Da_seahawks' experience seems on par with mine.

I started collecting UEI March 2014. I attended the initial OneStop Center orientation June 2014. It is mandated if you want to access any of the NJ UEI benefits like college tuition waivers, free certification trainings, and resume writing support. The person who facilitated my orientation gave a packet of information on these resources. She also provided a phone number to a case manager who was to be called TWO weeks after the orientation.

The case manager is then responsible for providing you direction. Because I work part-time I am ineligible for the tuition waiver but qualify for the free certification trainings. Also, NJ UE does not like paying for college classes because it is too complicated. If you want them to pay for something that is where the certification trainings become your friend. The tuition waiver on the other hand eliminates complications and is a great way to get a 'free' college education. I am now waiting another two weeks to see if there is continued funding for EMT and/or phlebotomy certifications.

Now as far as college and UEI go, this is what my case manager told me:

1. Because college starts in the fall I SHOULD be able to extend my benefits for an additional six months after the first six totaling a year of UE;
2. Attending college is the only way to extend benefits in NJ;
3. Closer to the start of classes is when he and I will notify unemployment with a list of registered classes in hand; and,
4. The start date of classes is the most important thing to consider when dealing with UE.

Please note that your specific circumstance, OneStop Center, and case manager must be taken into consideration when dealing with UE and college. Just make sure you speak to your case manager before doing anything.

If any of the pertinent information above changes or works out I'll try to update this post.

Last edited by dearnina84; 06-27-2014 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment