Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 03:03 PM

8 posts, read 16,025 times

Advertisements

On 12/10/12 I was terminated. I worked for a rental car company and was approached by my boss about attending an awards dinner. I informed him that my schedule may conflict because I had to work at my other job that night. He said that he 'totally understood.' He suggested that I rent a car and when I return it, he'll have the contract zeroed out. On the day of the event, I emailed the coordinator of the event and informed him that I would be running late because of my other job. He also said he understood. Unfortunately, i was unable to attend. This all took place on a Thursday night. I returned the car on my next scheduled day of work which was Sunday morning. 3 days later, I was called into the office and told that i was being suspended because i didn't use the car for business use, i kept the car too long and I zeroed out the contract. I explained to my boss that I was never told when i had to bring the car back so I assumed it was my next day of work. I also reiterated our conversation prior to the dinner and I also explained that i didn't zero out any contract. I offered to pay for the rental, but my money was refused. I was told to return to work the following Monday. The following Monday I was called into the office and was let go.

I applied for UI benefits that day (12/10/12). i had two phone interviews. I just reached someone over the phone today (1/9/12) and I was told to read over the paperwork carefully just in case I want to appeal.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
When you get your letter, post the exact language of the decision - whatever it is. No one can answer this without knowing EXACTLY WHY you were denied - if you are.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
I see this as appeallable and winnable on the basis that if the person didn't return the car fast enough why didn't they just call and tell the claimant to bring it in, "right now," and then none of this needed to happen.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM

Thank you both for your help. Here's what my Termination letter states:

'Discharged because he kept the complimentary rental car which was for 1 day, he kept it an extra 2 days. $ zeroed out the contract.'

I replied with: ' I never zeroed out any contract. The contract was already set up at '0' prior to my return. I also requested to pay for rental which was refused.'

Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 PM

As soon as I get the letter, I will post.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 PM

19 posts, read 120,639 times
I have a question that I hope somebody can answer. I'm currently on unemployment in NJ. I had to hurry and find any kind of job because I thought that the EUC benefits would not be extended and I didn't want to be without any kind of money. The job I found pays minimal wage, a half hour lunch, and no breaks for a 10 hour shift. I just did my orientation, that I was paid for, but I do not want to take this job because I know that I will have more time to find something better. If I don't go back will I still have to report it to unemployment for the 2 days of orientation. It's not that I don't want to work, but I know that I can find something that pays more and I'll have a few months to look. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:38 PM

You can't just up and quit a job after you've accepted it accept maybe in VA, WI, ND, and MO. There may be other states, but not many. Unless you can come up with a "good cause" reason to quit, and there's not many, you're stuck with this job, or not getting a paycheck nor UI check.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Exercise extreme caution when providing information to the UI people. It tends to hurt more than it helps. What you've said so far isn't going to hurt you, but run everything by us before you say or put anything in writing to the UI people.

Ariadne22 wasn't asking so much what your termination letter said, but we want to see what the deputy says in adjudicating your claim. We need to know what their thought process was so that it can be countered at a UI appeal hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0415 View Post
Thank you both for your help. Here's what my Termination letter states:

'Discharged because he kept the complimentary rental car which was for 1 day, he kept it an extra 2 days. $ zeroed out the contract.'

I replied with: ' I never zeroed out any contract. The contract was already set up at '0' prior to my return. I also requested to pay for rental which was refused.'

Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM

19 posts, read 120,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
You can't just up and quit a job after you've accepted it accept maybe in VA, WI, ND, and MO. There may be other states, but not many. Unless you can come up with a "good cause" reason to quit, and there's not many, you're stuck with this job, or not getting a paycheck nor UI check.
I never started the job to quit. It's a temp agency and I filled out paper work and did some testing and we had orientation that we got paid for for like a few hours, but the job itself is not something that I would like to do and I know that I can find something better and permanent because I have a few more months. I just wanted to know will I have to report that I got paid for orientation and will I really have to take a temp job no matter how bad it is.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:18 PM

You already started the temp job. You could have refused it, but now that you've done the below mentioned things, you're stuck.

What kind of job is it? Is it production work? You can always maybe work slow so that they let you go, but you can't say, "now that EUC has been extended, I want to look for something better and go back on UI." If you want something better, you're going to have to do it while working there or find a way to get discharged for something other than misconduct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms monroe View Post
"I filled out paper work" and "we got paid."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment