U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 10:38 AM

27 posts, read 222,521 times

Advertisements

I am unemployed in NYS. I accepted a temporary offer, and zealously told my labor representative that I would be beginning work.

Then, of course, yesterday night, I fell ill . You know the one; the kind that has you hugging the toilet for 12 hours. The only minor illness that you can't stick a tissue in your pocket and go to work with. Still chained to the toilet at the time I was scheduled to begin, I had to call off my first day. And, of course, calling in on the first day means that there is no second day, or third day, etc. I sent my DOL representative another email explaining that I had a bug, I won't be claiming benefits until I am healthy again, and that my offer had been revoked.

Since today is a holiday, I can't follow up with my doctor, and I'd feel really stupid going to the hospital over a 1 day stomach bug that's already almost better. My question is, without any medical documentation showing that I was ill today, will my claim be affected? Do I need to go to the hospital to be able to present to them that I was actually ill today? Can't reach claims center until tomorrow...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 AM

14,508 posts, read 25,201,198 times
You for sure did one thing right. If you're too sick to work, you're too sick to claim for that week.

However, when you're no longer sick you can reopen your claim, and you should no matter what do that.

The part where it gets hairy is did the employer fire you for being sick on your first day, did you quit, or did you refuse work. If it's the first one, then you'll be ok. Getting fired after a day's illness is rather harsh. I'm not so sure you actually started the job. Generally, UI requires that you physically show up and do something for at least a minute before they consider an employer-employee relationship to have been established. I think the worst that will happen to you is if it's treated as a refusal of work. Now, if you have some sort of proof that you called in sick, and that the employer said, "don't bother ever coming in again." Then I don't think you'd absolutely have to have the doctor's note, but it would sure help a lot to refute any presumption that there may have been another reason you didn't want this job.

Is there a low cost physician's assistant in a Walgreen's or grocery store where for $40 you could protect your UI benefits? I also feel really terrible that you had such a stroke of bad luck. This was like the worst possible timing ever.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM

27 posts, read 222,521 times
Thanks for your reply. I was scheduled to start today, and being a contract position, I wasn't able to start a day or two late. I am very pregnant and when I first called in, I was worried that it was something more serious than a bug, but as the day went on, it's very clear that it's just a minor illness. I hadn't actually begun work though, and I did offer to start on Wednesday, instead of today. Being a temp agency, I'm now blacklisted from that agency. What a bout of bad luck!

My insurance covers emergency visit, but I hate to hog up time and space from ladies with real medical problems in L&D just for a hospital note, seems unethical... I am wondering if the hospital note will be sufficient or if there's anything else I will need to do, as well. I did not refuse the job offer, I attempted postponed the start date last minute after paperwork was processed for me to begin. And I'm afraid I might have overshared with my UI representative, because I told him I'd accepted an offer, and sent an email to him today letting him know that I was ill and that the offer was revoked.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM

4,402 posts, read 12,292,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnChristine View Post
Thanks for your reply. I was scheduled to start today, and being a contract position, I wasn't able to start a day or two late. I am very pregnant and when I first called in, I was worried that it was something more serious than a bug, but as the day went on, it's very clear that it's just a minor illness. I hadn't actually begun work though, and I did offer to start on Wednesday, instead of today. Being a temp agency, I'm now blacklisted from that agency. What a bout of bad luck!

My insurance covers emergency visit, but I hate to hog up time and space from ladies with real medical problems in L&D just for a hospital note, seems unethical... I am wondering if the hospital note will be sufficient or if there's anything else I will need to do, as well. I did not refuse the job offer, I attempted postponed the start date last minute after paperwork was processed for me to begin. And I'm afraid I might have overshared with my UI representative, because I told him I'd accepted an offer, and sent an email to him today letting him know that I was ill and that the offer was revoked.
If you were sick enough not to work, you were sick enough to warrant a doctor's time.

And, as you are pregnant, I think a dr note stating you were sick but better now will go a long way toward avoiding UI deciding that the issue may be that you are unable to work at all due to pregnancy. Get to the dr.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 PM

3,171 posts, read 3,829,553 times
I don't consider myself a dishonest person by any means, but I was on long-term UI (2 years) and at times I got the flu or a stomach virus and was sick for a few days.

I NEVER listed myself as "unavailable for work" because common sense dictated that I would have been able to work at some point during that week if called. I was only sick for a few days anyway, a temporary situation.

Let's get real, no one was going to call me into work the same week that they interviewed and/or hired me anyway. It's never done that fast.

I was not going to lose UI and have to wrestle with the state over a minor illness like this. It is just nit-picking on their part to try to discredit a person and make them lose their UI.

Now if I had broke my leg or had a heart attack, that would be different.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:14 PM

7 posts, read 44,902 times
You probably shouldn't have told the DOL representative until you actually went into work and completed your first day. With how difficult things are to resolve when it comes to unemployment you should always make decisions that minimize the problems if things don't work out.

What ended up happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or