U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,125 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I couldn't find the answer posted anywhere, so apologize if this has been asked before. Here's my situation that I'm stressing over:

Next Sunday, 2/10, is my next filing date. I only have around $200 left in my balance and have been receiving around $900 every two weeks. I was told that the state automatically applies for the federal extension for you, so I shouldn't have to do anything myself. Here's my questions/concerns:

1) Will I receive any type of notification that I'll be receiving the federal extended benefits? I have yet to receive anything in the mail. I began unemployment on August 1, so technically my 6 months ended Feb 1. How do I know that all is well?

2) Will my federal extended benefits be the same payment I was receiving from the state....so around $900? Or is it lower?

3) This is the most important and what is freaking me out right now. Since I only have $200 or so left in my balance, is that all I will receive when I file next Sunday? Will the extension cover the difference, or will I be expected to live off $200 for a whole month, since I'll have to wait another 2 weeks to file again I assume? I'm praying this isn't the case cause I'll be in big trouble if it is!

4) And once approved for the extension, do I continue filing the same way as I have been, on the state website every 2 weeks?

I am truly grateful for any help/clarity anyone could provide!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM

25,090 posts, read 54,056,970 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob81x View Post
1) Will I receive any type of notification that I'll be receiving the federal extended benefits? I have yet to receive anything in the mail. I began unemployment on August 1, so technically my 6 months ended Feb 1. How do I know that all is well?

NJ will send a letter notifying when your EUC application is completed and the amount of your benefits.

2) Will my federal extended benefits be the same payment I was receiving from the state....so around $900? Or is it lower?

No change. Per FAQS:
Quote:
The weekly benefit rate remains the same throughout the life of the claim.

//www.city-data.com/forum/25250900-post6.html

3) This is the most important and what is freaking me out right now. Since I only have $200 or so left in my balance, is that all I will receive when I file next Sunday? Will the extension cover the difference, or will I be expected to live off $200 for a whole month, since I'll have to wait another 2 weeks to file again I assume?

No, the extension will probably not cover the difference/make you whole. You are transferring from state benefits to federal benefits. It takes a week or so to get federal EUC benefits going, as NJ needs to process an application for EUC, do another monetary determination for new state claim eligibility, and then transfer you to EUC benefts. Per FAQS:

Quote:
11. Why is my last payment so small?

State benefits must be exhausted completely before federal benefits begin. Same applies to Tiers and EB. One tier must be completely exhausted before beginning payments on the next tier/EB. This often results in an odd payment before full benefit payments resume, especially if you’ve been working and have been receiving partial benefits.

//www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html
Try claiming that last $200 this Sunday, 2/3. NJ has, in the past, accepted weekly claims. If your claim is accepted and you are paid on Monday, then NJ will begin to process the application for transfer to EUC immediately. You may be able to claim another week's benefit on 2/10, although that might be a stretch. More likely, NJ will tell you to claim two weeks' benefits on 2/17. Also, call NJ on Monday or Tuesday, to verify EUC application is in process. Ask at that time if you can possibly claim at least one week on 2/10.

Most states will not commingle state benefits and EUC, although some will commingle tiers - if you ask. When you call NJ, ask if there is any way they can make you whole during this transition time.

4) And once approved for the extension, do I continue filing the same way as I have been, on the state website every 2 weeks?

Yes.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Really great info and thanks so much for the reply! One last thing I prolly should've asked.....If the extension won't immediately cover the difference from the last payment of $200, when the federal extension is finalized and in effect will it cover the missed week or week and a half that I won't be getting paid for? Or is that time/money just lost? Meaning I'll receive the $200, then have to wait a week or two to apply for the federal...will the first payment be bigger or make up for the lost time or just start fresh and I'll lose out on the $700 or so?

Hope that made sense

Old 02-02-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob81x View Post
If the extension won't immediately cover the difference from the last payment of $200, when the federal extension is finalized and in effect will it cover the missed week or week and a half that I won't be getting paid for? Or is that time/money just lost? Meaning I'll receive the $200, then have to wait a week or two to apply for the federal...will the first payment be bigger or make up for the lost time or just start fresh and I'll lose out on the $700 or so?
You will be paid retro. As I said above, you will probably have one short payment. If you claim the remaining $200 on 2/3, your order of payment will probably be:

Claim date 2/03 - $200 (wk 2/2)
Claim date 2/17 - $450 (wk 2/9)
Claim date 2/17 - $450 (wk 2/16)

But you need to call NJ to try to get a new claim date of 2/17. There shouldn't be a gap in payments if you claim the $200 tomorrow, and they proceed with the EUC application.

If for some reason NJ can't process the EUC so you can resume claiming on 2/17, which does happen from time to time, you will be paid retroactively to 2/9, no matter when you claim. In the end, there will be no intervening weeks which are not paid - in other words no lost weeks.

NJ is pretty good about processing routine EUC transitions.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:30 AM

You are the best! I just tried claiming my final week today and it says it was accepted. I was planning on doing it next week (bi-weekly as usual) and the thought of trying to claim it today never even crossed my mind until your response....so for that THANK YOU!!

It's people like you, that use your personal time to help others, that we need in this world! Now hopefully everything else goes just as smooth

Old 02-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Thank you, and thanks for the update. Let us know how the transition goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment