U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 PM

23,065 posts, read 49,022,725 times

Advertisements

I just got a DM from a NC claimant.

Effective July 1, NC has made significant changes to its UE program.

1, NC will halt EUC payments effective July 1 (even though these are 100% federally funded). I am not clear at this point if EUC continues for those already collecting, or if this is a hard cut-off for everyone. NC website still states last payable date for EUC is 12/28. In addition, new 26-week claims filed now will probably not receive EUC at all because, at best, they would need to exhaust state benefits no later than June 22.

At this point, I am not clear on the rationale for halting EUC, other than possibly employer taxes are increased because of these federal payments. The federal EUC payments should have no effect on the state budget.

2. NC is reducing its maximum benefit to $350 (from $530).

3. NC is reducing maximum weeks paid to 20 (from 26), tying this to the state's UE rate.

Gov. McCrory signs unemployment bill into law | CharlotteObserver.com

Legislation markup:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...e/PDF/H4v5.pdf

NC's current UE rate is one of the highest in the country, with pockets experiencing 10-12%.

Unemployment Rates for States

The official rhetoric on these changes is that reduced unemployment taxes to the employer will be an incentive to job growth in the state. Highly unlikely, imo. I expect the opposite will occur.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-19-2013 at 04:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,613,705 times
Wow... USA is getting harder to live in nowadays...

Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,373 times
I realize that "getting political" is generally frowned upon, so I'll leave it up to you to infer what you want from this. But yeah... heh.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:39 PM
GPC

1,283 posts, read 3,000,017 times
I've been trying to find out if the July 1 changes are really going to take effect and came across this:
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/B...PDF/H922v0.pdf

Does anyone know if this means the threatened July 1 cutoffs are NOT going to happen?

Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I've been trying to find out if the July 1 changes are really going to take effect and came across this:
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/B...PDF/H922v0.pdf

Does anyone know if this means the threatened July 1 cutoffs are NOT going to happen?
Don't know. Looks like some of your legislators are trying to push back this cutoff to next year. A very politically worded piece of [proposed] legislation, imo.

Search your newspapers or call your elected representatives to determine the status of this markup bill. Given the GOP bent of your government it could be political posturing.

The Democrats in WI have no power - so they can introduce this type of legislation all they want - it goes nowhere in Republican legislature.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 PM
GPC

1,283 posts, read 3,000,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Don't know. Looks like some of your legislators are trying to push back this cutoff to next year. A very politically worded piece of [proposed] legislation, imo.

Search your newspapers or call your elected representatives to determine the status of this markup bill. Let us know what you find out.
I'll try to find out more information. I was on the phone with the UI office yesterday (I had to recertify my claim) and I asked what was going on with the July 1 cutoff. The woman's response was that she didn't know if it was going to happen or not. I haven't received a notice in the mail nor has the NC state website been updated to reflect July 1 (it still says the end of December). It won't be a tragedy for me if the July 1 cutoff does happen but it would be nice to know one way or the other. And, of course, it will be a big deal for alot of other people and it isn't fair not to give them proper notice.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:15 PM

Indeed. NC shouldn't be doing this at all. Your UE rate of 9.4% is among the highest in the country - ranked 46 out of 51 states (including DC).

UE offices never know anything until after the fact, certainly not the reps. Best to try to contact your state representative. I suspect this is a draft - possibly scheduled for a vote next week?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
Unhappy NC extended UC benefits?

Are they really going to stop federal EUC as of July 1st? I drew 26 weeks of UC starting in July of 2012. I switched to Federal EUC Jan 20th of this year. I am currently a full time student and depend very much on this EUC. I cannot continue with school if I have to go back to work. I currently only have a high school diploma and was trying to better myself by going back to school. These new laws are threatening everything for me. Do you really think it is going to be cut off completely?

Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellytpearce View Post
These new laws are threatening everything for me. Do you really think it is going to be cut off completely?
Yes. Right on the NC website:
Quote:
Please be aware that the federal extension of benefits, better known as the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Program (EUC) will end June 30, 2013. All 4 Tiers of the EUC program will end on this date. The last payable week of the federal extension of benefits will be June 29, 2013.

https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/login.asp
You may want to explore this:
Quote:
The N.C. Department of Commerce is gearing up its staff and programs to assist individuals in getting the services and training they need to get back to work. The department is actively working with state and local business partners to coordinate services and create opportunities for job seekers needing assistance. Click here for more details.

https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/login.asp
If you find anything here appropriate for your situation, please let us know.

You, and everyone like you, should contact your state legislators.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Yes. Right on the NC website:You may want to explore this:If you find anything here appropriate for your situation, please let us know.

You, and everyone like you, should contact your state legislators.

No real job search help being offered..same old stuff ... they show you how to use their public computers to search for a job on your own. . A wasted trip to the office. Guess they have to pretend as though they are provider extra special service... but they are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or