Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 AM

23 posts, read 37,185 times

Advertisements

I hope I don't come off as dumb, or naive for asking this. I just finished Tier IV this past Saturday, and I knew this was coming, so I have a little bit of money saved up to last me two months while I still try to find a job. I was just wondering what was the likelihood of extended benefits returning to California? Also, even if they did come back, would I be eligible? Again, sorry if this question has already been answered, or makes me sound like an idiot. I'm just almost out of options here. They won't even hire me at Target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,092,537 times
Speculating about the return of extended benefits won't help you.

You should be trying to get food stamps, energy assistance, phone discounts, and anything else to make your savings last as long as possible.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 AM

So far I've gotten everything but the food stamps. Since I have savings I wasn't eligible for the expedited 3-day decision. They told me I'll have an answer by the end of this month. If that goes through I can buy myself a little more time. I was thinking about going back to school since I'm eligible for a few small loans. I hate to borrow, but if having an advanced degree will help me find employment, that's a risk I'm willing to take. I'd be living on much less with the loans though, so that's why I figured I'd ask about EB. I'm naturally a frugal person, so UI wasn't too much different than my normal lifestyle. It really only changed how much I could save monthly.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:20 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,092,537 times
If you're willing to take student loans, you'd be better off taking advantage of an intro rate on a credit card. I just got a 0% for 15 months on purchases plus $200 in points.

The intro rates on credit cards tend to be a much better deal in the shortrun than student loans, and credit cards can be discharged in bankruptcy while student loans, not so much.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the tip on the credit card. The other reason I was hesitant to start school was because of the whole, "loans can't be discharged" deal. I already have a small amount of student loans that I know can be paid back (provided I find employment). I hate to just continue piling on the amount I owe, in the event that things get even worse before they get better.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,282,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannaBanana07 View Post
I hope I don't come off as dumb, or naive for asking this. I just finished Tier IV this past Saturday, and I knew this was coming, so I have a little bit of money saved up to last me two months while I still try to find a job. I was just wondering what was the likelihood of extended benefits returning to California? Also, even if they did come back, would I be eligible? Again, sorry if this question has already been answered, or makes me sound like an idiot. I'm just almost out of options here. They won't even hire me at Target.
The extended benefits to 99 weeks are not coming back. Once you've exhausted Tier IV, there's no more unemployment. Sorry.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannaBanana07 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the credit card. The other reason I was hesitant to start school was because of the whole, "loans can't be discharged" deal. I already have a small amount of student loans that I know can be paid back (provided I find employment). I hate to just continue piling on the amount I owe, in the event that things get even worse before they get better.
There are a LOT of deferral and payment plan options available with federal student loans. Go to the website and look into it...but they try to make sure you can pay.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,397,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
The extended benefits to 99 weeks are not coming back. Once you've exhausted Tier IV, there's no more unemployment. Sorry.
True. At this time. And quite possibly true forever, but no one knows this for sure. We never thought we would see 99 weeks of benefits in the first place. Yes, it is unlikely...but NO ONE KNOWS for certain what will happen in the future.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,282,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
True. At this time. And quite possibly true forever, but no one knows this for sure. We never thought we would see 99 weeks of benefits in the first place. Yes, it is unlikely...but NO ONE KNOWS for certain what will happen in the future.
Neither party has an incentive to bring it back, because it would be tantamount to admitting the recession "recovery" has gone poorly. Obama would have to lead the charge to get 99 weeks reinstated and he's not going to admit that unemployment is that bad after he's been in office 4+ years. Particularly with healthcare regs coming online in 2014, they don't want the political distraction.

They'll bring it back if there is an outside shock that makes it politically palatable. That means a giant earthquake or something terrible enough to throw the economy into a steep, immediate decline.

I wish we offered relocation assistence to the long term unemployed to get them to areas where there are jobs. If someone's been unemployed for 79 weeks in small town Michigan, they're screwed.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Congress did not eliminate EB. Instead, Congress failed to revise the lookback to four years, which results in 99% of the states using a TUR no longer meeting the EB criteria. This makes it far more difficult for a state to trigger "ON" to EB, but not impossible.

EB can trigger "ON" in any state at any time going forward if that state meets the 110% trigger in any one of the three lookback years used by the BLS.

As an example, in 2012, NY triggered "OFF" EB on 6/10/2012, triggered back "ON" September 10, 2012, triggered "OFF" again December 9, 2012. NY, to the best of my recollection, was a one-off in triggering "OFF" and then "ON" later in 2012. That said, triggering "OFF" and then "ON," again, is not impossible.

States closest to triggering back "ON" at present are New Hampshire (105%) and NJ (108%):

Trigger Notice Report

Alaska, at present, is triggered "ON" to EB and is currently paying 13 weeks. Alaska uses a 6% Insured Unemployment Rate as a measure, not the TUR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment