Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,544 times

Advertisements

Possibly. The states, on request, will review wages used to establish a claim. You would need to go back to NY with evidence that your earnings for the quarters in question no longer qualify you for a NY claim effective November 2. If that happens, then you are entitled to MA EUC until January, which is when MA should have done another evaluation for EUC eligibility at which point MA would probably again ask you to apply for a claim in NY. However, at that point, since you legitimately began EUC on the MA claim in November, if you are eligible for a NY claim in January, you can retain your rights to EUC from MA, invoke HR4213 on the new claim deferral, and continue to receive EUC from the higher paying claim until exhausted.

Thank you again for all of your help!

So it looks like this is option 1 and then I will try and reduce the $8000 as an option two.

Do you have any experience or example of how states define earnings? Like I mentioned before, I can change my hours (if they are wrong ) but that doesn't change the actual dollars I received in 2012. What they will do is just take money out of my new paycheck(s). If I call and say they made a mistake with my hours, that I shouldn't have received the money and that I am paying it back now, is that grounds for adjusting my claim calculation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny12345 View Post
The states, on request, will review wages used to establish a claim. You would need to go back to NY with evidence that your earnings for the quarters in question no longer qualify you for a NY claim effective November 2.

So it looks like this is option 1 and then I will try and reduce the $8000 as an option two.

Do you have any experience or example of how states define earnings? Like I mentioned before, I can change my hours (if they are wrong ) but that doesn't change the actual dollars I received in 2012. What they will do is just take money out of my new paycheck(s). If I call and say they made a mistake with my hours, that I shouldn't have received the money and that I am paying it back now, is that grounds for adjusting my claim calculation?
Each state is different in how easily it will recalculate base-year earnings.

You don't need to repay those dollars. What is relevant is in which quarter those dollars are reported. If your company moves income from Q2 to Q3 or Q4, your 11/2/2012 claim eligibility should no longer exist - which is your goal. You will need to provide NY evidence that the income reported in Q2 and Q3 should have been reported in Q3 and Q4. A statement from your employer may be sufficient. Similar to asking NY to rebalance quarters, which is your second option if NY refuses option 1.

You need to call NY, request this claim be cancelled because of insufficient earnings. Ask what documentation they need from you in order to do this. Meanwhile, do not file any claims or accept any money from this new claim until you get a final answer from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment