Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 PM

28 posts, read 47,626 times

Advertisements

I know that doing freelance work will decrease the amount of benefits you may collect during that particular week, but does it decrease your maximum benefit amount? (Would I eventually be allowed to collect the difference?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
It's a big "it depends." It's possible to do so much freelance work that you can't exhaust your claim in the 52 week period allowed to collect all your benefits, and the remainder is forfeited. It's also possible to be labelled as a self-employed person and booted out of the system with no hope of getting back in. It's also possible that you collect all your state benefits, but then have your entitlement to EUC voided as you can be put on a new state claim.

The UI system is geared for claimants to look for jobs as good or better than they had before. It starts to get complicated and punitive when you start having sporadic earnings.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:44 AM

28 posts, read 47,626 times
I'm in NJ, where you're allowed to make up to 20% of your weekly benefit and still get a full check. If I were to make my weekly benefit plus 20% from a freelance project, would that unemployment money be lost to me forever, or would I just get that back in another week where I didn't do any freelancing?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormandySR2 View Post
I know that doing freelance work will decrease the amount of benefits you may collect during that particular week, but does it decrease your maximum benefit amount? (Would I eventually be allowed to collect the difference?)
Yes, you will be allowed to collect the difference. Working serves to extend the time over which your benefits are paid out. Your original monetary determination is not affected when you work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormandySR2 View Post
I'm in NJ, where you're allowed to make up to 20% of your weekly benefit and still get a full check. If I were to make my weekly benefit plus 20% from a freelance project, would that unemployment money be lost to me forever, or would I just get that back in another week where I didn't do any freelancing?
No, that unemployment is not lost. The balance remains to be collected within your benefit year.

Whether or not you will lose EUC depends on how this free-lance work is paid. 1099 work should not affect your ability to collect EUC. W-2 work could. As Chyvan said, if you have a claim which is potentially eligible for federal extension benefits (EUC), be sure you receive all your state benefits and begin the federal EUC benefits before the end of your benefit year. Otherwise, you lose those benefits.

That said, if you work too much, it is possible you will immediately qualify for a new state (usually lower paying) claim when you are eligible to begin EUC and, therefore, never begin EUC at all - which means it is lost. If your first claim is very high paying, those EUC benefits are valuable. So, working could cause you to lose them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment