Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,589 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I quit my job in March because my boss was controlling and scared me. He had also cut my hours down from 40 to 27 and cut my pay $3 an hour. I received two unemployment checks and then received a letter because my ex boss was fighting it.

I had to answer a bunch of questions from UI via phone and found out that my boss had basically lied. He stated that he had cut my hours because I wasn't showing up at work and he had to cut my pay in order to hire someone else to work since I wasn't showing up. That doesn't even make sense. If I was that bad of an employee then why not fire me; why cut my hours and pay in order to hire someone else to cover for me. There's also a lot more to this story but it would take too long to get into all that.

Anyway, I was told that if they found in my favor that my payment(s) would be released but they haven't been and I know they've reached a decision so I expect to get a letter from them saying that they aren't going to pay me.

I think my next step would be to request a hearing but what happens in a hearing? I really don't want to have to go face to face with this guy as I'm afraid of him; can I request a phone hearing? I am having insomnia right now and have thought about going to talk to a professional regarding the issues I'm having. Is it possible to ask UI for my file to see what else my ex boss has said about me? They have some emails that he sent from me to him but my Husband is an IT guy and he showed me how easy it was to fake them once you forward them.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,466,951 times
You can't do anything until you get a formal decision. If NY finds against you, post the exact wording of the reasons for their decision. You will need to appeal, of course. Yes, you can get a copy of your file. Several people here can give you good advice on how to present your case.

But, until we know what you are defending yourself against, there is nothing to be done at this time. It may be your payments haven't been released because the decision hasn't been made, mailed, and sent on to their database people.

Post back when you get the decision.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-07-2013 at 11:47 PM..

Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
I'll caution you right now that hanging your hat on "controlling and scared me" will get you denied. This "cut my hours down from 40 to 27 and cut my pay $3 an hour" is where you want to hang your hat. However, how long did you work at the new lower salary? What percent reduction was the $3/hour? Did you tell your boss that you weren't going to work there at the new lower salary? What did you say in your letter of resignation? Those are the kinds of things you need to get worked out before your hearing because you won't get a second chance to represent your case in the correct light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment