Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 8,013 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Here's my scenario. I will try to be as concise as possible.

I’m in NY and was laid off in 2008. When my benefit year ended in 2009, rather than continuing to collect the EUC/EB benefits that were available at the time, I was instructed to file a new claim, because I had enough work history to warrant doing so. I ended up claiming 93 weeks on that 2nd claim, which was the max amount of weeks available at that time.

At the conclusion of the 93 weeks of benefits paid to me on my 2009 claim, I received a letter, I believe within just a few weeks if I remember correctly, stating that I was eligible to continue claiming on 2008 claim, the remaining tiers of EUC/EB that were currently available that I had never touched. Needless to say, that was a huge relief as I had not been able to secure work during that whole time, except one very brief stint of temp work. So, on my 2008 claim I was also able to go up to 93 weeks which again was the max at the time. Sadly, I was still not finding work so, as you all know, this little bit of money weekly was a huge help.

These benefits had long run out when a few weeks ago, just this past June, NY became eligible once more for EUC tier 4 benefits. I had again been unsuccessful in securing work all these months, and was beyond relieved when I received a letter stating that I now had 6 more weeks from EUC tier 4 coming to me, and instructing me to begin claiming again on Sunday, June 10. Now here's where it gets a little tricky.

I actually received two such letters, one for each claim; one for the claim from 2008 and one for the claim from 2009. When I logged in to the system to claim these benefits once they became available, I noticed they applied these weeks to the older claim, from 2008. I wondered if I would be able to claim these 6 weeks on each claim, since I had been allowed to do so this entire time, and because I received two separate letters indicating each claim was eligible. A few weeks ago, I called the telephone claims center and spoke to a representative, explaining the above to her. While, in all honesty, she didn’t sound like the most knowledgeable person, (or perhaps she just could care less?) she told me I should be able to claim 6 weeks for each claim, being that I received two letters, and the system would just update like it has in the past on Sunday when I went to claim weekly benefits. Granted, I know there are likely few people in my position, with two claims to collect on, but I took her information as confirmation that I would ultimately receive 12 weeks’ worth of benefits.

The six weeks of tier 4 on my 2008 claim was over for me last week. This Sunday, when I logged on to claim benefits, the link to claim weekly benefits was not there, and the information was not updated. It was still showing my older claim, and indicating that there was a zero balance. My heart sank. Again, being that I received two separate letters, I assumed I would be receiving 12 weeks, six per eligible claim, especially since the representative I spoke to confirmed this. Needless to say, I am obviously still not working, but looking, and these six weeks area lifeline. I was hoping to use some of this money to get my children a few things they will need for the start of the school year, and to help pay a few bills.

I realize some may comment about the number of benefits I have already received, but this is money I have been entitled to. It is less than half of what I was making at my last job, so of course I would rather be working, I just have been unsuccessful in securing a job. My spouse works, so we are ineligible for any type of assistance, so this has been a very difficult few years, as we have three children. At one point, we were eligible for a small amount of food stamps, when my benefits lapsed and I had no income at all, but that is about it. To go from 2 salaries for 5 people, to just 1 has required huge changes, especially since my income was significantly greater than my spouse’s. We currently live with family because we couldn’t afford our old housing payment, had to sell one of our vehicles, etc etc etc. I will spare you the details. We certainly have not been taking vacations or anything like that, and are driving around in a 15 year old vehicle that I am praying will last us a bit longer until I am back on my feet. I am in the process of filing bankruptcy. Furthermore, I have been paying taxes my entire adult life, as I have worked consistently since I was 16 years old, and worked full time without ceasing since the age of 21. While out of work, besides searching for work and interviewing, I also have gone back to school part time to try and get another degree and switch careers. This is the only time in my life I’ve been able to secure financial aid, so that has been a relief. Additionally, not only am I in NY state, I am actually in New York City, a metropolitan area that has always had an oversaturated job market, and even more so now, and whose regional unemployment rate is far higher than the state average.

You will forgive me for adding that little disclaimer paragraph, but many of you might be able to relate to the fact that I am often treated with a certain type of attitude for being unemployed so long. There is such an ugly stigma attached to it, it has definitely been a rough few years, to say the least.

So much for being concise – back to the original question… can anyone give me any insight, based on this information, as to whether I should be eligible for these last six weeks? Furthermore, if they deny this to me, would I have any basis to appeal this, being that they themselves sent me letters for two claims stating that I was eligible? I will obviously call tomorrow morning, but I thought I’d ask around, as many here seem to be better versed in these matters than people at the local unemployment offices.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am having anxiety over this, I don’t know how I am going to make it through until tomorrow morning at 8 to call in and find out. I’m hoping I get a decent and helpful person on the phone, and not a rude, unfriendly, and uninformed one as I unfortunately have at times in the past.

Thanks and good luck to everyone searching for a job and navigating this process!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 PM

6,892 posts, read 22,452,908 times
Your post is too hard to read. Please go back and delete the html so we can help you better. If you can not edit the post please hit the report icon at top right and ask a mod to fix it. It is easier to read if you just stick with the default font.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:09 PM

I noticed and already edited it. I had typed it in Word initially and copied and pasted. Can you kindly re-read? It is showing up properly now, to me. Thanks!!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:18 PM

14,500 posts, read 30,958,058 times
Truth be told, you faired far better than others in your circumstances. Most others that had two claims got EUC from the first, finish the 2nd 26 weeks, then when back on the old claim EUC, and because the 2nd claim year would end, the EUC on the 2nd claim would be lost.

You got your EUC on both claims, and you're whining about that 2nd set of 6 weeks. This is unreal.

Yes, call and ask about it, but to come on here whining about how you're entitled to it, and if you can appeal it is just showing a total lack of gratituded for how lucky you really were that your state misimplemented in the beginning that was so favorable to you.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:25 PM

I am sorry you feel that my post is me "whining" about "entitlement".

I do not feel that my state "misimplemented" my benefits initially. This is what has always been done; when your benefit year expires, if you are eligible, you are supposed to file a second claim. I believe that at some point, they stopped doing this because they realized that too many people would be receiving "too many" weeks, as I have.

Yes, I am very fortunate, and I realized that, but I have complied with every work search requirement, appointment at the DOL, etc etc. I was afraid I would be met with hostility, and I am sad to see my instinct may have been right. I am truly sorry if anyone feels like this post is me "rubbing it in" as far as how many weeks I've collected. I wish none of us who lost jobs through no fault of our own did not have to deal with these issues, but I don't feel that I need to be sorry or ashamed that I claimed as many weeks as I did.

I just wondered if there was possibly anyone out there who was in a similar situation as me, and could offer some information. I am sorry you feel I am showing a "lack of gratitude." I just feel I was misinformed and wondered about my options. Best of luck to you in your situation.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:47 PM

25,599 posts, read 56,305,835 times
You will be able to claim those 6 weeks. Computer needs to transition you to Tier 4 to your latest claim from Tier IV from the last claim. Before it does that, it needs to do another monetary determination. These transitions between claims are taking longer in NJ, these days.

You don't need to appeal. Eventually, NJ will catch up, but you may need to wait a week or two. If you have worked at all while collecting benefits, the transition will take longer.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:15 PM

Thank you ariadne. I assume you meant NY and not NJ? Or that the same would apply to NY as NJ. And no, unfortunately I have not worked, so hopefully there shouldn't be much of an issue. I wonder if I should still call tomorrow and inquire? Or should I just wait a week and see if the information for the more recent claim populates automatically? Thoughts?

Old 07-22-2012, 02:29 PM

25,599 posts, read 56,305,835 times
Sorry, I read your post earlier and disremembered - though you were NJ.

NY won't take as long. You can call them tomorrow. Can't say if this will speed things up.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM

Ariadne - you definitely know your stuff. I called today, and they told me it should take two business days for the system to update. What a relief! I am very fortunate and thankful. Thanks so much for your help, best of luck to you!!

Old 08-05-2012, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 3,908 times
would love to know how this played out.
this may be helpful.. not sure..
Stop the Department of Labor Extended Benefits Mistake Cover Up | Facebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment