Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2016, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 2,342 times

Advertisements

I have a question and was wondering if anyone can help me with a possible outcome scenario. I have been a personal assistant for a client with the state of Illinois for 14 months working full-time. I have also had additional jobs since I am single and have a great deal to pay for on my own. I was working an office job for a temp service in addition to my full-time personal assistant job, and it just got to be way too much for me and so I decided, at my age, it is time to work just one job and so I opted to keep the higher paying position which was the personal assistant position and quit my job at the temp office job which would not allow a notice without immediate termination. Well, 2 days after I left my office position my client went into the hospital with life threatening issues, while thankfully she has pulled thru, she is still hospitalized and will need full-time specialized care for several months which I am not qualified to give so my services will not be needed with her for quite some time if at all. I applied for unemployment since my main job was no longer available to me through no fault of my own, but still got a letter about a phone interview because I quit my other job. Will I get unemployment or will I get denied because of that? I am really nervous since I cannot find another equally paying job, or anything at all for that matter and I am worried beyond belief, sure don’t want to end up homeless and sure would not have left my other job had I had any indication there would be health issues for my client....Any advice would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:04 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by showsmom View Post
Well, 2 days after I left my office position my client went into the hospital with life threatening issues,
It's subject to interpretation.

It's very state specific if you can even find it. This falls probably into a "just wait and see." There are states that allow you to quit a 2nd job to focus on your main job provided you had no clue that your main job would be ending.

Then there is this "2 day" thing. If you quit your 2nd job on Friday, and you didn't work at your main job on Saturday or Sunday, then you have a problem. If you quit our 2nd job on Monday, and worked Tuesday and Wednesday at your main job before this "lay off" occurred, then you better be able to back it up.

Quote:
Will I get unemployment or will I get denied because of that?
Can go either way. Since it's been such a short time, you may want to try to get the temp job back. Might look good if you make the effort.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:17 PM

I can absolutely back up the lay off, it's a state job so my clients caseworker was aware of the situation since I notified her immediately. That's just the thing, I was scheduled to work on that weekend at my regular job but my client became ill. I did not speak with her which was not unusual since I get a day or two off a week from that position. So yea, I left that office position and Wednesday the 4th of May was my last day worked, however I did not clean out my desk until Friday morning. And, that afternoon was when I was informed of my clients illness, she had actually been hospitalized the morning of the 5th. Ugh! Sooo worried about this, I have worked all of my life and never filed before, I didn't even want to do it but had no choice!!

Old 06-15-2016, 06:41 PM

In addition, as I understand the temp service that I worked for has since lost the contract with the company that I worked for, in fact those that were employed by said temp service were either walked out or given the chance to resign. The company has since implemented a hiring freeze as well.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:48 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Quote:
In addition, as I understand the temp service that I worked for has since lost the contract with the company that I worked for, in fact those that were employed by said temp service were either walked out or given the chance to resign. The company has since implemented a hiring freeze as well.
That's irrelevant. UI is about the reason that you lost your job at the time you lost it. The HR rep could be walking up to your desk to lay you off. You could quit before the HR person opened her mouth. At that point, you just turned a qualifying lay off into a quit.

However, it would still look good if you tried to get your job back as someone trying to preserve employment, and it supports that you didn't know your main job was going away. Someone waiting UI will quit a second job knowing that their main job is disappearing. Someone wanting to focus on a main job that disappears will try to get an old job back. May be impossible, but it's the impression you want to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment